Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fixing Decathalon

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
Right now the Decathalon has a major problem!
In order to get a high rank you need to dedicate a VERY unhealthy amount of time if you want any hopes of claiming the top prizes (1 of which, the school hamsters is exclusive).
It made it pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for anyone with a Job or school to do the event and even have a chance of top 25. You had to dedicate a week to nothing but grinding.

BUT here is a solution
The pets should just be at the end of the progress reward bar. That way those who want the school hamsters can get them, and maybe replace the class hamster reward with another permanent mount, perhaps a hoard pack mount?

Keep the ravenwood hamster for the leader boards though.

Administrator
Rachel Dreamsong on Jun 9, 2019 wrote:
Right now the Decathalon has a major problem!
In order to get a high rank you need to dedicate a VERY unhealthy amount of time if you want any hopes of claiming the top prizes (1 of which, the school hamsters is exclusive).
It made it pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for anyone with a Job or school to do the event and even have a chance of top 25. You had to dedicate a week to nothing but grinding.

BUT here is a solution
The pets should just be at the end of the progress reward bar. That way those who want the school hamsters can get them, and maybe replace the class hamster reward with another permanent mount, perhaps a hoard pack mount?

Keep the ravenwood hamster for the leader boards though.
We're definitely aware of how much time many players are dedicating to the Deckathalon. Any ways we can mitigatethis would certainly be welcome.

Survivor
Nov 30, 2012
Spark,

BTW, it is too bad that comments on the Deckathalon are being published here and there. I wish everyone would post in the events section that you created.

I and many others agree with Rachel as this event requires some tweaking. At the moment, since this event was launched 5 days ago, the leader has 16,040 points and probably climbing before it ends tomorrow. It is beyond me that this player and others have managed to accumulate so many points in a short time period.

I played a lot and managed to only get 589 points. Obviously, these players have much better strategies or found loopholes that I am not aware of. At this point, only those that make it past stage 4 can tell how many points you get for defeating monsters in higher stages.

If I played stage 4, 100 times and was successful each time that would only give me 1600 points plus daily 20 points for using TC's. Costing me 25,000 gold for buying 4 credits 25 times and more gold for buying TC's.

To Rachel's point, perhaps limiting the daily time that players can play the deckathalon might I say "perhaps" even up the field a little more. In future events, run it for a week with a daily timer limit of one hour no more. It should allow all those interested in participating to have an hour set aside for this. I am sure that there are many others out there who can chime in on this with interesting ideas.

Not sure how the reward pet for meeting the 520 points threshold is awarded but I was playing my Life wiz and got a Balance one who shows Fire talent at adult.?????

Interesting concept that was put together but if you look at many of the negative comments in the event section, Bugs section the dorms etc, it looks like it is dividing much of the community and might loose it's appeal. Kudos to those in the lead, but I am not sure that unless something changes that it will be on my list.

Regards,

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Sparck on Jun 17, 2019 wrote:
We're definitely aware of how much time many players are dedicating to the Deckathalon. Any ways we can mitigatethis would certainly be welcome.
Recommend you cap the number the points the top tier rewards require. If you don't....the sky is the limit and these particular players will just keep losing more and more hours of sleep to out do each other (or will commit account sharing to keep playing 24/7).

While the number of points should still require a hefty effort on the part of the player, it shouldn't require enough points to only reward those players who are not in school, unemployed or those that have to take vacation just to compete. For example, the Ravenwood Class pet can still be rewarded at 525 points, while the school pet can be rewarded at 2000 or 2500 points, the special mount at 3000 or 4000 points.

It's one thing to claim the top spot on the leader board as the best (even then those who are at the top, aren't even doing the event as intended...), but something tells me that players are putting in these crazy hours to get the unique rewards....not for the top spot claim. Keep the leader board for bragging rights, ditch the moving target for unique rewards.

Deckathalon is a fantastic addition to the game, but...

Reward the players for master the towering/treasure cards; don't pit the community against each other in hours of unhealthy repetitive actions.

Survivor
Jul 18, 2011
I completely agree with Rachel. I think that is both a major problem and a great proposed solution. That being said, I do think something needs to be done for ice and death wizards, since those with basically any "IRL commitments" were unable to obtain those OP school pets.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I personally have stayed away from the Deckathalons simply because I don't have lots of daily time.

In addition to being self-employed, I take care of my handicapped spouse. Some days I may have hours of free time, other days I try to carve out Wizard time if only to maintain my sanity

Perhaps if the deckathalon were a week-long event limited to one or maybe two attempts per day (ala Gravulum) that would go a long way to making it more appealing to those of us who do not nor cannot spend every waking moment on wizards.

Steven Ghoststalker

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Area51Alien on Jun 18, 2019 wrote:
I personally have stayed away from the Deckathalons simply because I don't have lots of daily time.

In addition to being self-employed, I take care of my handicapped spouse. Some days I may have hours of free time, other days I try to carve out Wizard time if only to maintain my sanity

Perhaps if the deckathalon were a week-long event limited to one or maybe two attempts per day (ala Gravulum) that would go a long way to making it more appealing to those of us who do not nor cannot spend every waking moment on wizards.

Steven Ghoststalker
Congrats on reaching 1000 posts!

Squire
Apr 18, 2013
Oran of Urz on Jun 18, 2019 wrote:
Recommend you cap the number the points the top tier rewards require. If you don't....the sky is the limit and these particular players will just keep losing more and more hours of sleep to out do each other (or will commit account sharing to keep playing 24/7).

While the number of points should still require a hefty effort on the part of the player, it shouldn't require enough points to only reward those players who are not in school, unemployed or those that have to take vacation just to compete. For example, the Ravenwood Class pet can still be rewarded at 525 points, while the school pet can be rewarded at 2000 or 2500 points, the special mount at 3000 or 4000 points.

It's one thing to claim the top spot on the leader board as the best (even then those who are at the top, aren't even doing the event as intended...), but something tells me that players are putting in these crazy hours to get the unique rewards....not for the top spot claim. Keep the leader board for bragging rights, ditch the moving target for unique rewards.

Deckathalon is a fantastic addition to the game, but...

Reward the players for master the towering/treasure cards; don't pit the community against each other in hours of unhealthy repetitive actions.
I agree with Oran of Urz.

The only thing is, I could only accumulate 1874 points (51-100) on my main (fire) wiz. Spent hours upon hours too.

Also, the progress bar took way too long reaching 'best loot' rewards and the loot wasn't all that better with the RNG. I relentlessly farmed stage 4 once it reached and ended up getting 2 strengthening runes but most runs junk runes dropped.

Game items really should not be so exclusive.