Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Discussing Battle Techniques

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 23, 2017
Hello! I'm quite a fan of battle techniques when dueling, so I wanted to know what you guys like to do in battle, too!
I like using every advantage I can. Shields, Blades, Traps, ect...What's your strategy? :)

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Firecat Fan on May 5, 2019 wrote:
Hello! I'm quite a fan of battle techniques when dueling, so I wanted to know what you guys like to do in battle, too!
I like using every advantage I can. Shields, Blades, Traps, ect...What's your strategy? :)
Blade, blade, smash, with an occasionally feint tossed in if it is actually allowed lol!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Jasmine3429 on May 6, 2019 wrote:
Blade, blade, smash, with an occasionally feint tossed in if it is actually allowed lol!
Believe it or not, I never use Feint. Don't even have it trained. It stops me from relying on it so cheats don't affect me. I just put on some blades, use some traps, and hit the enemy hard (being a Storm, that part's easy) I always try to carry matching-school shields against tough bosses.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Jasmine just basically summed up the most popular and effective strategy to use against a majority of the mobs in the Spiral.

And guess what? It works!

But I am sure we can all relate to this scenario:

Fighting a mob; you don't crit - Mob survives by low or single digit number.

Attack next turn, you crit I:

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Lookit Light on May 6, 2019 wrote:
Believe it or not, I never use Feint. Don't even have it trained. It stops me from relying on it so cheats don't affect me. I just put on some blades, use some traps, and hit the enemy hard (being a Storm, that part's easy) I always try to carry matching-school shields against tough bosses.
Oh, what do you do when blades are not allowed? I did not train feint on my storm either, but then again I do not solo end game bosses.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Star Edward on May 7, 2019 wrote:
Jasmine just basically summed up the most popular and effective strategy to use against a majority of the mobs in the Spiral.

And guess what? It works!

But I am sure we can all relate to this scenario:

Fighting a mob; you don't crit - Mob survives by low or single digit number.

Attack next turn, you crit I:

Hahaha, yes! I remember the time I had a Smoking Mirror Wight survive with only 1 HP! And I'm also sure we relate to a scene like this.

We try to defeat the boss with a strong hit.

The boss casts a shield, defeats us with it's own spell, stuns us, or stops us in some other way.

It's like they know.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Jasmine3429 on May 7, 2019 wrote:
Oh, what do you do when blades are not allowed? I did not train feint on my storm either, but then again I do not solo end game bosses.
Simple! I don't use blades! (Except when Aegis can bypass it.) I instead use Traps more (potent trap helps here) and always go with a team. So yes, I never go alone either.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2012
As an ice, it's very hard to get a good hit in, so I use a PVP technique and a PVE technique:

The PVP technique:
Since all our spells are weak, we have to rely on only weaver spamming with an occasional winter moon so that you just put up a lot of stuns and shields!

The PVE technique:
Ice has no way to hit hard, so we usually spend 20 minutes per battle just blading up and hitting (we can usually just tank the enemy's attacks.

I'd love to read other comments of different schools - this thread is pretty interesting

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
My strategy is difficult to explain. It all depends on what wizard I play, how many creatures i'm attacking, is there a boss involve and how intense the battle is. To me it's about knowing your wizard's strength, the spells you cast combind with blades, traps and other boosts. Usually I put up blades, traps, shield myself in between if need to and maybe a heal or 2 then strike. Then repeat that pattern untill the creature is defeated while i'm battling I keep my eye on my health, my pips and the creature's pips letting me know what spells to cast. I generally don't use feints for it may overpower my wizard making the battle go to easy I take my time battling allowing my mind to be stimulated enough to enjoy the fight. I may adjust my gear, and the amount of blades I stack to a lesser strength according to how tough that battle is to keep the fight callenging. Overpowering my wizard and/ or batting fast will make the game to easy making it boring.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
HydraYTPlayz on May 8, 2019 wrote:
As an ice, it's very hard to get a good hit in, so I use a PVP technique and a PVE technique:

The PVP technique:
Since all our spells are weak, we have to rely on only weaver spamming with an occasional winter moon so that you just put up a lot of stuns and shields!

The PVE technique:
Ice has no way to hit hard, so we usually spend 20 minutes per battle just blading up and hitting (we can usually just tank the enemy's attacks.

I'd love to read other comments of different schools - this thread is pretty interesting
As it relates to my Ice, I take a few more risks with him than say my Storm.

To assist with his damage issue, I use Frenzy instead of Sleet Storm prior to attacking.

Battles don't take as long but compared to my more offensive wizards, there is of course a considerable difference.

I also use Feint on him too. Really useful.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
My strategy is mostly in my build, Level 95 Death with 100% power pip chance, and over 100% death accuracy. For regular bosses I blade, sharpen blade, then use a 45% death blade from a triangle jewel in my athame, then scarecrow. I have a back up scarecrow if something shields and a TC reshuffle. I keep the deck as small as possible so that I can draw most of the cards I need in my opening hand. If the monsters are likely to earthquake I use the virulent (a 5 turn 25% personal death boost) and Red Ghost from my pet (a field wide 25% death boost) and then a single blade. Bosses I add more cards and use empowerment and the minion Malduet the Devastator. I don't deal damage fast, or crit that often, but I absorb half the damage I deal, and I only fizzle because of enemy spells.

I just have never liked traps, can't use them reliably with minions anyway.

Besides all that I learned Mutate Minotaur in Celestia and later got Deer Knight from a pack, neither of those spells work well with traps, but they are super useful for getting around shields. I mostly solo content, even normal bosses. If I can't beat a boss after two attempts I usually try to team up, I still try to solo first. Dungeons are weighted so heavily against us that I have to team up to run them, at that point I usually play support; passing out blades, healing people with sacrifice and even casting feint.