Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Monstrology complaints and ideas

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
I love monstrology so far. I've always wanted to have foes wandering the grounds of my castle. It also gives me a worthwhile challenge to return to areas I've already completed to try and catch 'em all. However... I have a few complaints

1. The price of admission

This ones the least important, so i'm gonna start with it. why are monstrology spells one hundred thousand gold? I'd understand if it was just like... free immediate treasure cards of them, that you could auction, but 1. You have to pay gold to make the cards. 2. You have to grind that specific foe to get a copy of it, and 3. The cards and guests dont sell for nearly their cost, so you cant even profit off it. Plus, given the next complaint, theyre not even worth the price except to a completionist or a decorator who really, really wants certain categories of decor.

2. The types featured

This ones far, far, faaaar more important. I looked at all the types featured, both early and late game, and the choices of whats included and excluded are baffling at best, and infuriating at worst. Among the foes which could be considered staple types that you can extract the animus of, you have undead. That's all. That's the sole broad category of animus extraction. Missing from the broad categories are... Elementals. Golems/constructs. Giants. Spiders. Things that appear throughout the spiral, and theyre not extractable? And the only excuse i can think of is "They can be summoned by other schools", but that doesnt apply to constructs or spiders, and even if it did, manders of all the one-shot categories get an extraction spell, and theyre balance's first minion. Other baffling inclusions include: Gobblers, who I *think* only appear on one street, that isnt even mandatory to visit. Pigs, who have a minor presence in 3 worlds, but I dont even know if Ninja pigs count, Treeants, who i've seen all of two varieties of in the entire spiral. and imps, who have all of one variant i've seen in the spiral. Sure, i'm not incredibly far in, but still, it seems like some narrow and arbitrary categories to cost One Hundred Thousand gold. Meanwhile, Marleybone is useless for animus loving casters unless you value undead. And even then the amount available is absolutely pitiful

3. The lack of a reason

Aside from the initial quest with Burke, it appears monstrology has no guidelines. No quests. No free spells to keep you interested and hooked on your collection. Why not give at least some of the worlds some quests for higher level monstrolgists, that provide or reward you with some broader categories.

My solution to all 3 at once: Monstrology Quests!

This solution aims to work against all 3 problems somewhat. lets say once you hit a certain monstrology rank (i'll say every other, just to keep things simple), Burke tells you to meet her at a new location. Krokotopia, then marleybone, mooshu, etc. When there, she will give you a quest to extract some animus. A decently high amount of some mook animus, and a summon's worth of a boss animus. the animus required must be one you can attain without spending gold, preferably the previous world's. Which animus will each world have? Lets see by what they have.

Krokotopia: Extract Elemental.

This is probably the simplest to explain. Krokotopia is a world about the elements. All 3 major elements have an elemental here, if you count colossi, and so does balance. I'd say the quest to obtain them should take some Souls of the Charmed (Obtainable through both Mander and Undead extraction), and... How about Akori Nirini as the boss? Keep it relatively early in the world, so someone fresh off the bus can obtain it. Or, if we want to do something different, how about it takes some Animus from Wizard City? How about animus from The Harvest Lord and some of the Living Scarecrows found wandering in the Sunken City. I was going to suggest Grubb animus, but I wouldnt wish going through that dungeon and fighting the boss repeatedly on an animus related quest on anybody.

Marleybone: Extract Golem
Once more an obvious one. Extract golem. A much needed extraction, and what better world for it than the one that has the most golem enemies. I dont know which enemies it could require, but perhaps some of the limited local undead.
MooShu: Extract Giant
I'm gonna be honest, I've never made it to Mooshu. But it seems like a world built around the three Spirit schools, and given Death already has its undead extractable, why not Myth's most notable category here?
I have no idea for other worlds, aside from maybe Grizzleheim having Extract Spider.
Alternatively to the above ideas of attaining the spell after getting the proper animus for the quest, perhaps you get the extraction spell first, and the quest is to obtain the relevant animus before you can go onto the next world's animus quest.
I sincerely hope someone working on the game's planning reads this, and that if they do, my complaint and idea are considered during the next monstrology related update. I tried hard to keep things reasonable, and well-thought out~

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
1) The price makes it take more time giving wizards work to do in the game. It keeps you from finishing everything all at once and makes for a come back later activity, when you are a higher level. If you buy areas by crown and don't have any quests you can access, it gives you another activity to work on until you have more crowns to continue questing. At least that's what I think they were thinking at KI.
2) Types featured. When they created monstrology, I think they started with undead because they are everywhere and might be the largest class. They did that when no one knew it was on the way. After that, I think they chose smaller classes because they could whip them out quicker. There are also extract Wyrm spells, for dragons. They knew things like spiders and elementals would take a while, and they have been added in the test realm, so they will come to the spiral soon. They went for the big class and some smaller ones in a variety of worlds, so as you quest you hit different ones. As for treants, you also run into palm tree ones in Celestia. They are adding more monstrology spells as they can, those fun descriptions must take a while, but I love the humor of them!

3) Monstrology quests sounds like a fun idea. Maybe it will get added at some point, now that you have suggested it.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
2) There are also extract polar bear and parrot monstrology cards.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Calamity Finch on Apr 4, 2019 wrote:
1) The price makes it take more time giving wizards work to do in the game. It keeps you from finishing everything all at once and makes for a come back later activity, when you are a higher level. If you buy areas by crown and don't have any quests you can access, it gives you another activity to work on until you have more crowns to continue questing. At least that's what I think they were thinking at KI.
2) Types featured. When they created monstrology, I think they started with undead because they are everywhere and might be the largest class. They did that when no one knew it was on the way. After that, I think they chose smaller classes because they could whip them out quicker. There are also extract Wyrm spells, for dragons. They knew things like spiders and elementals would take a while, and they have been added in the test realm, so they will come to the spiral soon. They went for the big class and some smaller ones in a variety of worlds, so as you quest you hit different ones. As for treants, you also run into palm tree ones in Celestia. They are adding more monstrology spells as they can, those fun descriptions must take a while, but I love the humor of them!

3) Monstrology quests sounds like a fun idea. Maybe it will get added at some point, now that you have suggested it.
excusing that price is just plain wrong, in my opinion. A single spell, which doesnt truly further your gameplay, and wont even really help you out by the time you have over a hundred thousand gold, shouldnt be worth one hundred thousand gold. Seriously, thats the price of one of the school houses. Thats five times more than the next most expensive thing in krokotopia (the Desert Villa)

excusing it as a "come back later" activity, only works when its worth doing later. I dont see any purpose to extracting mander animus after youre done with Krokotopia. Given that manders are the definition of weak, generic mooks. If that was the price for, say, Extract Elemental, which i've heard is on the way in the test realm, a spell that might possibly see use in more than one world of the game, or Extract Giant, a spell that would see use in absolutely every world in the game, then MAYBE it would be worth the hundred thousand gold price tag. As is, it feels like an attempt to get you to open your wallet, or spend literally days grinding. The only reasonable way I see someone in the early stages of the game, where it would be relevant in any way, could get it within a day of gameplay, is if they did as much progression as they could until a levelup, then fished until they ran out of energy, and somehow managed to get up to 10 trips. And thats IF they decided to fish at a premium house like the Massive Fantasy Palace, and then, only IF they also happened to be doing it during a time where there were a lot of holiday fish about to increase the profits to the ten thousands.

Point is, being complacent in such a problem is only going to make it worse.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Tefnut0fHoney on Apr 7, 2019 wrote:
excusing that price is just plain wrong, in my opinion. A single spell, which doesnt truly further your gameplay, and wont even really help you out by the time you have over a hundred thousand gold, shouldnt be worth one hundred thousand gold. Seriously, thats the price of one of the school houses. Thats five times more than the next most expensive thing in krokotopia (the Desert Villa)

excusing it as a "come back later" activity, only works when its worth doing later. I dont see any purpose to extracting mander animus after youre done with Krokotopia. Given that manders are the definition of weak, generic mooks. If that was the price for, say, Extract Elemental, which i've heard is on the way in the test realm, a spell that might possibly see use in more than one world of the game, or Extract Giant, a spell that would see use in absolutely every world in the game, then MAYBE it would be worth the hundred thousand gold price tag. As is, it feels like an attempt to get you to open your wallet, or spend literally days grinding. The only reasonable way I see someone in the early stages of the game, where it would be relevant in any way, could get it within a day of gameplay, is if they did as much progression as they could until a levelup, then fished until they ran out of energy, and somehow managed to get up to 10 trips. And thats IF they decided to fish at a premium house like the Massive Fantasy Palace, and then, only IF they also happened to be doing it during a time where there were a lot of holiday fish about to increase the profits to the ten thousands.

I never said I was excusing it. The OP asked, "...why are monstrology spells one hundred thousand gold?" To the best of my ability, I explained what I thought K I 's reasons were, and why I thought they had monstrology for things that are not found in many many worlds (speed of getting monstrology launched).

I agree that in the early worlds, the prices are a bit steep. I agree that those who don't want to grind fights for that gold, K I may be hoping the impatient will spend crowns for gold. They are running a business and both want, and need, to make money. No money, no employees, no game. Yes, they do want people to spend, either by playing the game more (membership) or by spending crowns.

It is a very optional side activity. If you don't like it or it's not worth it to you, it is not required. Some people have finished quests and want something to do in the game. Some people like it as a way to make house guests for their decorating. For them it's worth it, but it might not be fore everyone. Some people have max gold and don't collect anymore until they find something they can use it for. I think it was an activity created with higher level wizards in mind. That said, isn't the extract undead spell given for free? One can level up with that quite a bit. If you can access other worlds, you can go after those undead everywhere you find them, and they do seem to be in every world. What is it you find wrong? The money making, or that you find the activity not useful? Too time consuming? If it cost less, would it be useful? What price would that be? Is it that is is too frustrating for Wizards questing in Wizard City and Krokotopia, they see stuff they don't have the gold for?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Tefnut0fHoney on Apr 7, 2019 wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this line:

'A single spell, which doesn't truly further your gameplay, and won't even really help you out...'

This is in line with Calamity's points and how I see monstrology too. It's a side activity! It's not essential, it's not even something that furthers you as a wizard or in your questing journey. It's something that's been added purely for FUN!

I love monstrology. I love that it's non-essential. I love that it's not level-locked. I love reading the descriptions, which are so funny and full of puns - KI have put some real thought into them and they're very much appreciated! I love that I can use it for decorating or making fun battles in monstrodomes in my houses. I spend hours collecting animus to make housing guests, this is my favourite thing to do with monstrology. I have literally never made a summon card for in battle while questing...though I have made many for monstrodome fun!

Visiting houses with monstrodomes is a great way for newer wizards to see some of the enemies they will fight as they progress. For those without membership it could be the closest they get to Malistaire the Undying or the beasts of worlds to come...it could be part of why they choose to buy membership or work on earning free crowns to progress.

There is nothing essential about monstrology...so there is no rush to obtain the gold as soon as we meet a vendor with a new extract spell!

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Victoria FireHeart on Apr 8, 2019 wrote:
I think you've hit the nail on the head with this line:

'A single spell, which doesn't truly further your gameplay, and won't even really help you out...'

This is in line with Calamity's points and how I see monstrology too. It's a side activity! It's not essential, it's not even something that furthers you as a wizard or in your questing journey. It's something that's been added purely for FUN!

I love monstrology. I love that it's non-essential. I love that it's not level-locked. I love reading the descriptions, which are so funny and full of puns - KI have put some real thought into them and they're very much appreciated! I love that I can use it for decorating or making fun battles in monstrodomes in my houses. I spend hours collecting animus to make housing guests, this is my favourite thing to do with monstrology. I have literally never made a summon card for in battle while questing...though I have made many for monstrodome fun!

Visiting houses with monstrodomes is a great way for newer wizards to see some of the enemies they will fight as they progress. For those without membership it could be the closest they get to Malistaire the Undying or the beasts of worlds to come...it could be part of why they choose to buy membership or work on earning free crowns to progress.

There is nothing essential about monstrology...so there is no rush to obtain the gold as soon as we meet a vendor with a new extract spell!
You are a member of the Monstrology club, a little society that loves and prospers on Monstrology and it's added benefits. I specialize in the House Guest division. Having recently overcome an inventory hurdle by wiring my Storm House to my Wysteria Villa, I will finally be able to make my collection grow beyond 150, with the help of the new Extracts! This is going to be fun!

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Calamity Finch on Apr 8, 2019 wrote:
I never said I was excusing it. The OP asked, "...why are monstrology spells one hundred thousand gold?" To the best of my ability, I explained what I thought K I 's reasons were, and why I thought they had monstrology for things that are not found in many many worlds (speed of getting monstrology launched).

I agree that in the early worlds, the prices are a bit steep. I agree that those who don't want to grind fights for that gold, K I may be hoping the impatient will spend crowns for gold. They are running a business and both want, and need, to make money. No money, no employees, no game. Yes, they do want people to spend, either by playing the game more (membership) or by spending crowns.

It is a very optional side activity. If you don't like it or it's not worth it to you, it is not required. Some people have finished quests and want something to do in the game. Some people like it as a way to make house guests for their decorating. For them it's worth it, but it might not be fore everyone. Some people have max gold and don't collect anymore until they find something they can use it for. I think it was an activity created with higher level wizards in mind. That said, isn't the extract undead spell given for free? One can level up with that quite a bit. If you can access other worlds, you can go after those undead everywhere you find them, and they do seem to be in every world. What is it you find wrong? The money making, or that you find the activity not useful? Too time consuming? If it cost less, would it be useful? What price would that be? Is it that is is too frustrating for Wizards questing in Wizard City and Krokotopia, they see stuff they don't have the gold for?
Sure, extract undead is free, and every world has undead, thats cool, but Extract mander is literally the price of a gosh darn house, for something that arguably shouldn't even cost half that, because it only has its hyper-specific use in one world. Its not like our hypothetical Extract Giant, or the coming Extract Spider, or even Extract Treeant or Pig, both of which are already in the game, where they have some semblance of further use once youve collected the four mander enemies that exist in Krokotopia. Extract gobbler gives you access to more content and more varied houseguests, and it doesnt even cost half that (It only costs 10,000 IIRC). Extract mander literally exists to scam people at it's current price. ESPECIALLY given you have to pay extra to even get the house guests you may want. What can you get with extract mander? Four colors of house guest, and one translucent version you can already get with extract undead.

Optional does not excuse something like this. Pet training is optional, yet you dont see KI selling a source of rank 2 pet snacks for the price of an entire premium house plus the payments you need to make per snack.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Tefnut0fHoney on Apr 9, 2019 wrote:
Sure, extract undead is free, and every world has undead, thats cool, but Extract mander is literally the price of a gosh darn house, for something that arguably shouldn't even cost half that, because it only has its hyper-specific use in one world. Its not like our hypothetical Extract Giant, or the coming Extract Spider, or even Extract Treeant or Pig, both of which are already in the game, where they have some semblance of further use once youve collected the four mander enemies that exist in Krokotopia. Extract gobbler gives you access to more content and more varied houseguests, and it doesnt even cost half that (It only costs 10,000 IIRC). Extract mander literally exists to scam people at it's current price. ESPECIALLY given you have to pay extra to even get the house guests you may want. What can you get with extract mander? Four colors of house guest, and one translucent version you can already get with extract undead.

Optional does not excuse something like this. Pet training is optional, yet you dont see KI selling a source of rank 2 pet snacks for the price of an entire premium house plus the payments you need to make per snack.
I detect truth in your words...

Maybe they could lower the price of Extract Mander, Extract Parrot, Extract Polar Bear and Extract Imp to something more reasonable? Say, 20,000 - 30,000? That would overcome the main hurdle facing Monstrology enthusiasts.

Explorer
Mar 28, 2019
Lookit Light on Apr 9, 2019 wrote:
I detect truth in your words...

Maybe they could lower the price of Extract Mander, Extract Parrot, Extract Polar Bear and Extract Imp to something more reasonable? Say, 20,000 - 30,000? That would overcome the main hurdle facing Monstrology enthusiasts.
It feels like they could have massively even increased the usefulness of Extract Mander by expanding it to Extract Krokotopian", and make it cover Kroks too. Then at least youd have basically the entirety of Krokotopia available