Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spells That Should Be Banned from PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 18, 2012
I will be playtesting some of the spells that I think should be banned from PvP. Some of these spells could receive nerfs instead. Feel free to leave a reply on some spells that should be banned.
  • Colossal/Gargantuan/Epic
  • Shadow Shrike*
  • Sanctuary/Doom and Gloom
  • Insane Bolt/Wild Bolt
  • Mana Burn
  • Guardian Spirit
  • Efreet/Bad Juju
  • Tower Shield**
  • Sharpened Blade/Potent Trap
*If Shadow Shrike is nerfed down to 30% pierce and the damage bonus is removed, it should be decently balanced.
** If Shadow Shrike is banned, Tower Shield will likely need to be banned too.

Survivor
Jun 26, 2011
Why should doom be banned? Insane bolt eh. It's not that op. Mana burn? No. Mana burn and supernova are fair spells. Without those two spells balances only have lore to rely on (unless your over 110 of course). Guardian spirit yeah probably. Or at least no more than one. Why tower shield? Or potent or sharpen? I'm going to assume your a max player doing pvp. I mean honestly the easiest thing to do is just not do max. If you want to do pvp that is similar to max but without all these "spells" you want banned try grand. Or just do what I did. Legendary pvp is a lot of fun.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
kris932h on Mar 11, 2017 wrote:
I will be playtesting some of the spells that I think should be banned from PvP. Some of these spells could receive nerfs instead. Feel free to leave a reply on some spells that should be banned.
  • Shadow Shrike*
  • Insane Bolt/Wild Bolt
  • Mana Burn
  • Guardian Spirit
  • Efreet/Bad Juju
  • Tower Shield**
*If Shadow Shrike is nerfed down to 30% pierce and the damage bonus is removed, it should be decently balanced.
This is quite overboard my friend.

Colossal/Gargantuan/Epic are hardly the least of your worries and definitely won't make battles easier.

Shadow Shrike is easily weakened when you use weaknesses. Shielding is not the solution here.

Sanctuary/Doom and Gloom are the only 3 pip globals. The rest of the schools have 2/4 pip ones. Doesn't seem op to me. You can easily cancel them too.

Insane Bolt/Wild Bolt are not crazy if you use shields and counter with a strong hit against them. Plus, when insane bolt hits it's caster, it makes for a great match.

Mana burn is rarely used if you keep your pips low. It'll be weak then as well.

Guardian spirit. Well if you ban doom and gloom we would have to ban this spell. Just be ready to kill them again once they revive.

Efreet/Bad Juju. Wand it off. Watch their pips for it. Life happens so be prepared to deal with it.

Tower shield. The most used spell possibly in the entire game? No, just no.

Sharpened Blade/Potent Trap -refer to Colossal/Gargantuan/Epic.

Change your strategy instead of trying to change other's. PvP is not easy and banning spells won't make it easier.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Nathan GreenEyes 109+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Polaris, join me!)
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Rofl, no.

I'm trying to take this seriously but I can't.

No defense against balance? Taking away storms only somewhat effective answer to shields? The most common enhancements removed?

No, nope, negative

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
all my spells need to be buffed
every other school should be nerfed
ban any mechanic i don't like
& give me a real pony

k, tnx!

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
All those are not reasonable to ban because that's just taking the challenge out of PvP. What you want is more arena tickets and wins. Tower shield is the only way to deflect balance wizards. The only spell that really shouldn't be in PvP is angel wings. Gemma Luna said it, that's like just giving your school and easier time by banning anything you don't like. I'm in Dragonspyre and I can't stop them from using tower shield or weakness. You have to find a way around obstacles rather than just complaining about them and saying you should have an easy time. Seriously, get more pierced factor and/or critical. I understand how frustrating it is, but that's what brings challenges. Sometimes, you'll have to accept that you'll die, just like I had to. You can't always win...

See you in the Spiral!

~ Alexis

Ps, I'm fire school and banning stuff like hurting over time is telling me I basically can't use fire dragon, heck hound, and a bunch or other stuff. It's the same for ice and death.

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
LOL. Sorry but I can't help but laugh.

It drains out the challenge from PVP and the millions of strategies that could be born.

Just no in my opinion.

Community Leader
  • Shadow Shrike*
  • Insane Bolt/Wild Bolt
  • Mana Burn
  • Guardian Spirit
  • Efreet/Bad Juju
  • Tower Shield**
This is a joke right? Please tell me you're joking. And if you're not, lacking the skill or experience to counter certain spells doesn't mean they should be banned. Mana burn, efreet, juju, and guardian are often very predictable. The sun school is balanced as is. As long as jade gear exists, shrike will too. Storm needs bolt spells to spike damage and break shields. Tower shield is the least broken spell in game. It seems to me you'd prefer and bland, strategy-less arena. No one wants that. If you wanna look for broken stuff, start with shadow enhanced spells

Writer, administrator, and PvP enthusiast at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Survivor
Jul 19, 2010
  • Shadow Shrike*
  • Insane Bolt/Wild Bolt
  • Mana Burn
  • Guardian Spirit
  • Efreet/Bad Juju
  • Tower Shield**
Bad juju and Doom and Gloom is overpowered mostly on those two spells. I'm with you. sharpened blade, colossal, gargantuan, epic and tower shield can be used by any school so it's fine.

Squire
May 10, 2013
  • Shadow Shrike*
  • Insane Bolt/Wild Bolt
  • Mana Burn
  • Guardian Spirit
  • Efreet/Bad Juju
  • Tower Shield**
No loremaster?
Probably one of the most broken spells in the game.
None of these need to be banned.

Enchants - No worries.
Shrike - Why does this need to be banned? It is only used in some circumstances.
Insane Bolt - Shields are the solution
Bubbles for death/life - 3 pip bubble compared to 2 pip bubble? Not a big problem.
Mana Burn - Only a problem when you start the fight.
Bad Juju - Death's only way to 1v1. They are already at the bottom of the meta, don't make it worse.
Tower - Most overused spell in the game.

My opinions. :D

Survivor
Sep 03, 2015
If anything, Mana Burn needs a buff. When it is used first on the same turn that your opponent is casting a high pip spell the opponent's spell still goes through for free. I used Mana Burn on an opponent when they had 1 regular pip & 4 power pips, they lost all except a power pip & then their turn came around & they did an 8 pip spell. It didn't even cost them the power pip. This basically meant that they could still use an 8 pip spell, but only paid 7 pips for it(Mana Burn took away 1 normal + 3 power). Why should my attack that was meant to stop a strong attack from my opponent instead be able to make them cast spells for cheaper? The spell has been glitched like this since 2012 & many people have complained about it, yet it seems nothing changed. KI please do something about this, even if they lower the damage or such, still, the fact that it helped my opponent keep more pips is the most counter-productive thing ever. On another note, the irony is kinda funny.

Survivor
Oct 18, 2015
Seer0fTime on Apr 12, 2017 wrote:
If anything, Mana Burn needs a buff. When it is used first on the same turn that your opponent is casting a high pip spell the opponent's spell still goes through for free. I used Mana Burn on an opponent when they had 1 regular pip & 4 power pips, they lost all except a power pip & then their turn came around & they did an 8 pip spell. It didn't even cost them the power pip. This basically meant that they could still use an 8 pip spell, but only paid 7 pips for it(Mana Burn took away 1 normal + 3 power). Why should my attack that was meant to stop a strong attack from my opponent instead be able to make them cast spells for cheaper? The spell has been glitched like this since 2012 & many people have complained about it, yet it seems nothing changed. KI please do something about this, even if they lower the damage or such, still, the fact that it helped my opponent keep more pips is the most counter-productive thing ever. On another note, the irony is kinda funny.
Or you know... you could stop blindly and mindlessly using spells and actually put some effort in predictions ^.^

Delver
Aug 05, 2013
  • Shadow Shrike*
  • Insane Bolt/Wild Bolt
  • Mana Burn
  • Guardian Spirit
  • Efreet/Bad Juju
  • Tower Shield**
Colossal/Gargantuan/Epic shouldn't be banned or jades will become more cancerous than they already are
Shadow Shrike should stay to kill off jaders
Sanctuary should be banned. Doom and gloom shouldn't. Sanctuary is just a huge troll for teaming jaders.
Insane Bolt/Wild Bolt should instantly be banned because they are 100% luck based and show no skill
Mana Burn shouldn't be removed or else Balance will become the worst
Efreet/Bad Juju should definetley be nerfed. They make PVP horrible
Tower Shield shouldn't be removed because its a basic in PVP
Sharpened Blade/Potent Trap shouldn't be removed because everyone can do it

Delver
Aug 05, 2013
DevinSkullStone on Apr 15, 2017 wrote:
Colossal/Gargantuan/Epic shouldn't be banned or jades will become more cancerous than they already are
Shadow Shrike should stay to kill off jaders
Sanctuary should be banned. Doom and gloom shouldn't. Sanctuary is just a huge troll for teaming jaders.
Insane Bolt/Wild Bolt should instantly be banned because they are 100% luck based and show no skill
Mana Burn shouldn't be removed or else Balance will become the worst
Efreet/Bad Juju should definetley be nerfed. They make PVP horrible
Tower Shield shouldn't be removed because its a basic in PVP
Sharpened Blade/Potent Trap shouldn't be removed because everyone can do it
no no no I stand corrected sorry for my cringe. Bad Juju shouldn't be nerfed. Also I am changing this before people start keep saying I messed up I know sorry