Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Remove toggle run

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 10, 2015
toggle run is the ability to move without pushing arrows it started as useful but now it's just painfully abused. I propose king isle removes the feature. It is a struggle to move around the servers when they are constantly full of in actives spinning. This could be solved by removing the option or put an option to boot a person from an area (useable at the discretion of the players, using this without the person being AFK should be a good enough Reson to report for trolling if this happens)

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 4, 2017 wrote:
toggle run is the ability to move without pushing arrows it started as useful but now it's just painfully abused. I propose king isle removes the feature. It is a struggle to move around the servers when they are constantly full of in actives spinning. This could be solved by removing the option or put an option to boot a person from an area (useable at the discretion of the players, using this without the person being AFK should be a good enough Reson to report for trolling if this happens)
That would not be a good idea. Mainly because there aren't that many spinning in the game and many who do, usually do so in their Dorm rooms or houses. Occasionally there is a player on one of the streets spinning but not very often.

KI does boot players who ARE NOT in motion after a certain amount of time. Other players should NOT have the option to boot players from the game and trolling is not a reportable offense.

Most players only move around the realms when farming for reagents. Other than that, there really is no reason to be doing so. The upper realms are usually full most of the time until late at night and there are many realms that are navigable.

Survivor
Oct 11, 2012
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 4, 2017 wrote:
No, this was not a glitch. Read here for the complete list of shortcuts:

https://www.wizard101.com/w101playersguide/keyboardshortcuts

Btw, if you stay in a zone for more than approx. 8 hours, you will be kicked out of the game the next time you try to change zones.

Players should not have the ability to kick other players out of an area. In my opinion, that is just wrong and unjust. If you are having problems with lag, change to a less populated realm. There is no need to have someone booting people out just because they can. Why make a problem that didn't need to be made in the first place?

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
I disagree entirely.

"Trolling" isn't reportable, and player-based kick is unlikely (and unwise) in an all-ages game. Many of us prefer to move without arrow keys. The current system works well, harms no one, and is working as intended.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I use the spinning option when, in the middle of a dungeon, I get called away to attend some 'real life' matter such as family, phone calls, etc. Spinning in place allows me to pause the dungeon while not losing progress, and yes it's needed! Sometimes real life takes longer than 15 minutes (how long we can remain idle before getting the boot).

Other times, I choose to spin in my room or house if I need to step away and don't want to log all the way out.

If spinners are slowing you down, go to a perfect realm. Anything after Greyrose is pretty much guaranteed to be a perfect realm no matter what time. (Except for Wu. That one's just weird, LOL!)

Alia Misthaven

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
No I think it must be removed because of the pet pavilion in general if your going afk your not active you need to leave the game and nit pester the servers.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 7, 2017 wrote:
No I think it must be removed because of the pet pavilion in general if your going afk your not active you need to leave the game and nit pester the servers.
Change realms.

Many who are hatching will spin for a few minutes waiting for a pet to hatch since a large number will hatch at 5 minutes. There is nothing wrong with that.

This topic really isn't going anywhere and the options have been in the game way too long to change it now. If it were changed, there would be a lot players coming here requesting and some even demanding that it be restored.

As has already been stated, there are plenty of "Perfect Realms" that you can switch to. You can't expect KI to change this just because you think it should be. You also can't expect other players to accept it just because you and maybe a couple of others don't like it.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 7, 2017 wrote:
AGREED.

Spinners clog the Game. Period.

It should have the same time limit as if you were idle with your book open (10 minutes or so?)
There is zero benefit to spinning for 8 hours. It doesn't boost energy, health, etc.

All it does is clog the servers.

Not to mention being totally Annoying.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
So, let me get this straight. If a players needs to go to the restroom or just get a drink, you expect them to log completely out of the game?

I know that since many are in school right now for at least 2+ more months, there are no where near enough players spinning in the game to take a toll on the servers. There are too many "Perfect" realms that can be used if another is causing you to become sluggish. I also know that the age and condition of your personal computer has a lot to do with that sluggishness.

I know this because I use an older laptop and OS and if I get into one of the upper realms that is busy, I have a lot of trouble just moving. I don't allow the Cache to build up and I don't allow cookies to be stored on it except for those I use daily. I clear all of it every day. I also run in a perfect realm. I have NO PROBLEMS because of a player spinning in the game.

As I stated before, there are plenty of "Perfect" realms you can move around in. I don't agree with removing this option as it is very beneficial for most of the players.

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
when going afk to grab a drink, etc., no need to log out if you are only gone for 5 minutes or so.
the spinners do clog the servers; there have been threads on other sites regarding this topic.
I personally don't have a problem with lag issues, but others do. My friends in other countries suffer from the lag the most.

where it is annoying is the Location people choose to spin; if you gonna do it, go to a quiet corner instead of right in front of the bazaar vendor?

I think if you are going to spin, be courteous to others and not clog up busy areas.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I agree with what you said if you gonna spin go to a different server like Wu and spin there just realm hop back. However king isle should remove all spinning in realms from bale storm to pixie and let all other realms spin.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 10, 2017 wrote:
I agree with what you said if you gonna spin go to a different server like Wu and spin there just realm hop back. However king isle should remove all spinning in realms from bale storm to pixie and let all other realms spin.
It can't be removed without removing it from all realms. Most players are courteous enough not to just sit in one spot and spin.

@SilverbackMonkey, I have friends in other countries as well, but the players spinning is not the main issue for lag. A lot of it has to do with people not keeping their computers cleaned up periodically of Cached data such as clearing out their surffing history and and blocking un-necessary cookies. I know this for a fact because I am using an older laptop that began to lag about a year ago. I ran a cleaner and defrag and do so at least once a month and have not had any problems with lag unless I get into a full realm. That I avoid and run in Perfect realms from Humongofrog down. I do not get into the upper realms.

It baffles me why players seem to think they have to be in realms that have a half dozen or more areas full. That in itself is asking for lag and especially for older computers and OS. There are approximately 36 realms of which MOST are relatively empty. KI gave the players those realms so they could spread out more and reduce the amount of lag many were facing. Unfortunately they still won't spread out and use them but will post they are having extreme lag in the game. That is why some are blaming it on those spinning. Newer players have not figured some of these things out but given time maybe they will.

Also if your friends in other countries are trying to play on U.S. servers, many of them are going to have issues depending on where they are.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
Please note that I not talking about lagging. Frame lagging is a problem on it own do to rendering speed and what wa said. I am saying to Remove toggle run because it makes pet hatchery full as well as many other features that make people mad. Toggle run needs to be removed.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Mar 12, 2017 wrote:
Please note that I not talking about lagging. Frame lagging is a problem on it own do to rendering speed and what wa said. I am saying to Remove toggle run because it makes pet hatchery full as well as many other features that make people mad. Toggle run needs to be removed.
As I stated before, there are about 36 realms that can be used. It is easier for players to switch than it is for KI to make numerous other changes that could create more problems.

I think you are exaggerating the extent of players being mad or the possibility of the hatchery being full when it is a simple matter to switch realms. By removing the Toggle Run, there will be a lot more players mad and also the fact that it seems only 1 or 2 others may be supporting your suggestion doesn't send a message to KI that the entire community agrees with you. There are more that don't.

You aren't giving any viable reason for it to be removed since it isn't causing any real problems. The only real problem is that some aren't willing to use any of the empty realms. I have been in the Hatchery when many others were and some even spinning and have never had any problems. Switch realms if it bothers you so much. A very simple solution.

I also think this subject has about run it's course.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
Most people are agitated by the servers ( don't know where to speak up) other then adults who constantly leave and spin. I believe king isle can implement partial ban on toggle run (a server is a machine with coding it it, all they need to do is to remove it one by one from half the servers. I am fine with people moving servers however I not ok with how the game deals with it.

You might play during sever of time when most people in west and east are at school but speaking from perspective of teens and kids who come home at 3 and try to hatch and see all the adult spinning in balestorm- Ambrose-... Is INFURIATING having to pop in same areas because people won't move. Honestly it takes 3 min to log in if you need to leave go to Wu or log out.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
i'm a user of the toggle run, i tend to use it in my house, or occasionally in the pet area, to let my energy refill, and you can't really make the servers pick up that you're spinning in place, even if hit toggle run, the game reads it as you're just constantly walking, and walking is being active, active, keeps you from being booted... so with that.. if i sit in my home and spin in place for 8 hours, you who has been questing for 8 hours, will get booted the exact same time. and it doesnt matter if 1000 people are spinning or running around, it's still 1000 people on the server

Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
Spinning can be annoying, this I'll admit. I abhor it when people spin in the bazaar! That noise their feel make over and over and over while your trying to browse will drive one up the wall. (It's even worse in pirate with the sand sound on top of it.) And you can pretty much count the first area of Ambrose as dead with all the spinners it has.

But, with all it's annoyances it has far more benefits. What if you needed to look a bunch of stuff up for a smidge longer then 15 minutes? What if you need to go to the bathroom for a long while or step away from the computer to do something important for a few minutes longer then 15 minutes?

And as Camahawk said, while spinning, your taking up the same amount as anybody else who are doing anything but standing perfectly still in place. In fact, chances are, a few spinners are using up less then what one battle takes. So, it all balances out.

As to the pet pavilion problem, as others have said, just switch. If you can't get into that server, chances are others can't either and they've likely just switched. I'm usually on at night/early to mid morning so it's not very active then; but, I've been on in the middle of the day and you'll often find not only Ambrose full, but Balstrom and Banshee full too. And in most cases there's like 5-10 areas on one full realm. You can't tell me all 10 areas of Ambrose are full of nothing but spinners.