Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can you train opposite pets for a different School

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
Meaning if I train a fire pet on my death, will it give fire stats or death stats?

Exalted

Survivor
Oct 08, 2013
It won't matter what school you are, but the pet itself can do different spells from different schools depending on what kind of pet it is and what level it's at. Hope this helped

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
Saberzo on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:
Meaning if I train a fire pet on my death, will it give fire stats or death stats?

Exalted
A pet will manifest whatever talents are in it's talent pool. It's talent pool is determined by the two parent pets used to hatch it. The school of a wizard has no effect when hatching or manifesting talents.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander Main

Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Ryan HexPyre 104 Always Dying
Nathan GreenEyes 85+ Hot in more ways than one (lol)

Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
And how do you know it's talent pool?

Defender
Dec 06, 2009
For a first generation pet (from pet drop or purchase), the talent pool can generally be found online. Whenever you hatch a pet then the talents co-mingle to form a pet with a new talent pool with randomly chosen traits from each parent.

Sometimes, if you know the potential talents of both parents you can determine if specific traits have been passed to the new pet, but often its only possible to know for certain what traits a pet has by what it manifests through training.

Example would be if each parent has one potential (different) epic talent and the new pet has two potential epic talents then you know both those talents passed (in potential) to the new pet. Often certain talents become somewhat sticky in a pet line, meaning nearly every pet born from that line has that potential talent. What I wouldn't give to weed out mana gift and wise from my current pet lines in favor of something more useful.

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
Saberzo on Feb 25, 2017 wrote:
And how do you know it's talent pool?
If it's a first generation pet, you can look it up on Wizard101 Central. They have a pretty comprehensive database.

If it's a second generation or beyond, you don't. You can take some wild guesses based on what talents the parents had, if they were both first generation. But otherwise, the only way to find out what some of them are is to train.

But regardless of first generation pets or other, it has nothing do with what school your wizard is.

If you're really new to pets and don't know what I'm talking about with generations, first generation is a pet that you buy from a pet vendor or in the Crowns shop, or get as a drop from somewhere. Second generation is when you take two adult or higher pets and hatch them together to create a new pet.

Survivor
Feb 01, 2016
Ok wow, that helped me a lot everyone. Thank you guys! Now the hard part is to find someone who would hatch lol.