Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Castle Tours category - Fisheries

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
I would like to have a special place to list the homes I have decorated with features and structures placed to greatly enhance the experience of people visiting for the purpose of fishing.

Say you have a Storm house. The Storm House is notoriously difficult to fish for several reasons, but one big one is that there are some textures on the cliff side that conflict with the "fish icon" layer of the water texture. You can see this if you try to view the fish that are closest to the bottom of the cliff. They may disappear, along with the sea texture.

You cannot go down to the actual water. All fishing is done from the top of the cliff, making it nearly impossible to see any that are obscured by this graphical glitch.

In addition, fish can and sometimes do "clip" through the boulders and rocks on the bottom of the cliff. You cannot even see them and they can hide from you in there!

Lastly the level of ambient noise from waves crashing and thunder seems to drown out the sound of the "plunk". So if you are skilled at casting lures at fish you cannot see, relying on the sound to tell you when to reel...this is really difficult, too.

A friend showed me how he set up some carpets and flat topped statue bases to make a "sandbar" leading offshore. This was at his Polarian Shipwreck, which also has some accessibility and clipping issues, and it made catching and tracking fish movement a LOT easier. It's not the most attractive decoration I have seen, but it gets my angling juices flowing. Fishing from offshore at the Storm House would eliminate the texture conflict, AND would allow you to visually track fishes disappearing into rocks and pilings.

Sadly this is rare! Most castles on tour seem to have a lot of perhaps unintended clutter of bric-a-brac near shore. Perhaps their owners decorated them before fishing became a thing in castles. Or perhaps they don't fish, and aren't aware of the issues these objects represent to fishing visitors.

The art of building a really useful fishing dock/weir/fishery is a skill of its own and should be accorded individual recognition. Not only for those folks who build in earnest for functionality and don't always strive for beauty. But also for anglers looking for help with specific houses/sites that are especially difficult.

Lastly I'd love to see a couple new objects specifically for housing fishing design. A floating mat that you can place on any water surface, and will allow you to place furniture or teleporters on it; and a gangway or plank to access sea level from high areas. Perhaps also a way to modulate the ambient sound that plays at your castle when people visit - or in your Options while you are fishing - but this is not a problem at all castles.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2011
crunkatog on Nov 8, 2016 wrote:
I would like to have a special place to list the homes I have decorated with features and structures placed to greatly enhance the experience of people visiting for the purpose of fishing.

Say you have a Storm house. The Storm House is notoriously difficult to fish for several reasons, but one big one is that there are some textures on the cliff side that conflict with the "fish icon" layer of the water texture. You can see this if you try to view the fish that are closest to the bottom of the cliff. They may disappear, along with the sea texture.

You cannot go down to the actual water. All fishing is done from the top of the cliff, making it nearly impossible to see any that are obscured by this graphical glitch.

In addition, fish can and sometimes do "clip" through the boulders and rocks on the bottom of the cliff. You cannot even see them and they can hide from you in there!

Lastly the level of ambient noise from waves crashing and thunder seems to drown out the sound of the "plunk". So if you are skilled at casting lures at fish you cannot see, relying on the sound to tell you when to reel...this is really difficult, too.

A friend showed me how he set up some carpets and flat topped statue bases to make a "sandbar" leading offshore. This was at his Polarian Shipwreck, which also has some accessibility and clipping issues, and it made catching and tracking fish movement a LOT easier. It's not the most attractive decoration I have seen, but it gets my angling juices flowing. Fishing from offshore at the Storm House would eliminate the texture conflict, AND would allow you to visually track fishes disappearing into rocks and pilings.

Sadly this is rare! Most castles on tour seem to have a lot of perhaps unintended clutter of bric-a-brac near shore. Perhaps their owners decorated them before fishing became a thing in castles. Or perhaps they don't fish, and aren't aware of the issues these objects represent to fishing visitors.

The art of building a really useful fishing dock/weir/fishery is a skill of its own and should be accorded individual recognition. Not only for those folks who build in earnest for functionality and don't always strive for beauty. But also for anglers looking for help with specific houses/sites that are especially difficult.

Lastly I'd love to see a couple new objects specifically for housing fishing design. A floating mat that you can place on any water surface, and will allow you to place furniture or teleporters on it; and a gangway or plank to access sea level from high areas. Perhaps also a way to modulate the ambient sound that plays at your castle when people visit - or in your Options while you are fishing - but this is not a problem at all castles.
I just posted something about this too. I love looking at different castles and rating them, but hate that they show the same ones all the time. And they never show Castles that people actually built. Is funny because i thought i was the only one that went fishing looking for a rare fish for my crafting. But back to the problem, i wish they had the houses on the tour by category. Like if you wanted to see how someone decorated a Sultan's Palace or a Avalon Castle Plot, all you have to do is click on Avalon Castle Plot tour, or Sultan's Palace tour and it would just take you to it. It would be so much better, And if you wanted to see different kinds of houses then just click the random button. Sadly my Castles will never be rated because it never shows. How did the top rated Castles even get there? Unless they were the first to be put there when this thing started.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
LINZYSS on Jan 19, 2017 wrote:
I just posted something about this too. I love looking at different castles and rating them, but hate that they show the same ones all the time. And they never show Castles that people actually built. Is funny because i thought i was the only one that went fishing looking for a rare fish for my crafting. But back to the problem, i wish they had the houses on the tour by category. Like if you wanted to see how someone decorated a Sultan's Palace or a Avalon Castle Plot, all you have to do is click on Avalon Castle Plot tour, or Sultan's Palace tour and it would just take you to it. It would be so much better, And if you wanted to see different kinds of houses then just click the random button. Sadly my Castles will never be rated because it never shows. How did the top rated Castles even get there? Unless they were the first to be put there when this thing started.
basically.... have all the gauntlets, housing games, pvp, major tapestries, random rug glitches, and that will do it.... aka if you're that one guy with that Darkmoor house everyone goes too.... you're set... and rating does change, often actually.... just if #1 is 500 stars... #2 is at 300 stars... #3 is at 100stars....... and everything else is below that... wont be much of a change

Survivor
Mar 25, 2011
camahawk on Jan 20, 2017 wrote:
basically.... have all the gauntlets, housing games, pvp, major tapestries, random rug glitches, and that will do it.... aka if you're that one guy with that Darkmoor house everyone goes too.... you're set... and rating does change, often actually.... just if #1 is 500 stars... #2 is at 300 stars... #3 is at 100stars....... and everything else is below that... wont be much of a change
I don't have a Darkmoor house, I have an Avalon Castle Plot. It can't be rated because it does not show on the tour. I do have mini games open to the public often, like wildfire and tag. Even though a lot of kids come to play the games, they wont be able to rate my castle either.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
LINZYSS on Jan 20, 2017 wrote:
I don't have a Darkmoor house, I have an Avalon Castle Plot. It can't be rated because it does not show on the tour. I do have mini games open to the public often, like wildfire and tag. Even though a lot of kids come to play the games, they wont be able to rate my castle either.
you need 50 interior and 50 exterior items placed... go to the tour house and put it up to be tour...

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
While we are at it - if I were ever to put a house on the house tour, what do guests look for?

Survivor
Mar 25, 2011
camahawk on Jan 20, 2017 wrote:
you need 50 interior and 50 exterior items placed... go to the tour house and put it up to be tour...
LOL my castle has a lot more that 50 items on there. It was an empty plot and i had to build my castle myself, which was so much fun to do, that i built 3 more on my other characters. And It's been on the tour for a wile now. actually i have 44 days left before it gets taken out. But I never realized how many other players must have their castles on the tour too. There must be thousands of houses on there. So I guess i should be lucky to have had at least 4 visitors.

Survivor
Mar 25, 2011
SparkleTude on Jan 22, 2017 wrote:
While we are at it - if I were ever to put a house on the house tour, what do guests look for?
I don't know what other people look for, but i can tell you what i like to see on the tour. I like to see houses that are decorated nicely and not over stuff with so many things that you can't even walk without bumping or getting stuck on something. I am the type of person that likes to explore the entire house inside and out. And when i see areas blocked, i just leave. I like to see houses that the person actually put an effort and time into decorating it nicely and not just put random thing anywhere that don't even make sense. When i see a house that is decorated nice, and you know that person took the time to make it that way, i give it 4 stars.