Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Avast thinks Wizard101 is sort of a virus.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 28, 2016
When I logged on today and went to go farm Lord Nightshade, there was an item that wasn't yet loaded. So when the game tried to load the item, Avast antivirus popped up and said that there was a virus. At first I thought it was no big deal since Wiz was the only thing open and it was just malfunctioning, but when I saw the loading icon on the side of the screen, it was endlessly loading and was stuck at 0%. Then, several minutes later, a box popped up on the screen saying "Unable to connect to Wizard101" or something like that, and a "quit" button (my only option was to quit). So then I closed the game, opened it back up, and went on a different wizard. I was at the commons, so there were a lot of people as well as somebody with a piece of equipment that had not been loaded into the game, and the same thing happened again, avast blocked the game from loading it and the game thought I had lost connection, and dc'd me.

It's not an actual problem with my connection, it works perfectly fine. I don't think it's wiz because I could play it just fine yesterday, and the day before. And I don't really want to disable avast, because I'm afraid if I do, I'll forget to reenable it and I may get an actual virus, but if I need to do that, I guess I will.

Please help!

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
Sometimes Anti-Virus software gives false positives to not only our game, but to all online games where file sizes sometimes change. They'd rather err on keeping you safe, so we can't blame them even though sometimes files from our games are incorrectly flagged. Obviously Wizard101 does not contain viruses as long as it is downloaded directly from our site.

For Avast, they have a website where you can report false positives like this:

https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

When you upload the file in question to them, they'll be able to review it and unflag it so other players won't run into the same problem. We'd love your assistance if this happens again and thanks for the heads up.