Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Timed Ranked PVP matches to counteract turtling

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 30, 2012
So I'm sure you're all familiar with this strategy. Most people call it "turtling" but its when a player spams debuffs (weakness, dispels, infection, etc) shields, minions, heals, etc with the hope that their opponent flees the duel instead of spending hours trying to defeat them (I want to say the avg is anywhere from 1-3hrs?). Most have a few attacks in that they'll use when their opponent is out of cards or even depend upon their minion to kill the opponent. Defeating these people can really be hell, especially if they're jaded with ward pets and high incoming healing percentages. And they'll do everything within their power to make sure you can't blade efficiently enough to one hit them.

I think its pretty stupid how players enter a game with the intent that they'll waste so much of their opponent's time that he or she will eventually flee. I feel like a system like the one we have in place for tournaments would really help counteract these people. Instead, they'd have no choice but to go for the kill or the arrow will be pointing to red. Thoughts? Advice? I'm sure this has been discussed several times in the past. As it is very annoying.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
i actually had this situation,
my tactic, full power pipped ice armor, spiritual shields, tower and legion shields, blade up with ice blade, ice spear, and elemental blades, colossal snow angel, reshuffle and repeat...

opponents, bad juju, full pipped animation, tower shield, 1000 heal pixie, unicorn, and guardian spirit on him and the wraith he summon, reshuffles...

so yeah both of us was pinned down for 4 hours till i used my 4 reshuffles and ran out... lowest i got him was 2000 of his 3000 health..... need a timer badly.... 40 rounds

Survivor
Oct 30, 2012
I'm in battle with one right now. And I've gotten up to 6 in a row. I was commander before this started happening on my way to warlord now I'm barely a Captain. They really need to fix PvP.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
i started doing tournaments... Rank pvp needs to follow.... 10:00minutes every turn makes it easier to kill, pierce increases making shields and resistance useless... can't turtle if in 3 turns all your stuff is 0 resist

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
There should definitely be the option of having timed matches as well as the option to do quick match or classic for those who struggle in real time. But in non-timed matches, those jades can be a pain. The only way to deal with them would be to adjust your strategy. There are several strategies to deal with them but sometimes they just don't work. I find that there are much fewer jades and tanks in Exalted and Prodigious PvP. Particularly in 1v1. Mostly because of the fast paced, high damage, high pierce setups that are running around these days. If you have the opportunity I would suggest higher level PvP. Unless you are actually experiencing this in high level PvP. In that case I can't help you.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I disagree. If you want the timer, then do tournaments. That's just me though.

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
exp613 on Oct 11, 2016 wrote:
I disagree. If you want the timer, then do tournaments. That's just me though.
Actually, timed matches might be hard to do in ranked. Partially because it will change so much in the game that some people (not many) who are already comfortable with it may get angry and partially because the timed matches are only implemented in tournaments to keep them from taking too long. Ranked isn't timed because the player needs to understand that these matches can take a while. Plus it would be awkward to see Diego hop into the arena at the end of a fight to determine a winner. They should probably do that for ranked anyways though.