Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Picking a school based on things you like.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 23, 2015
heeellooo to anyone reading this, I am making this topic to ask if any of you have ever picked your school based off the fact that they match something you like in the real world, and was hoping if I could get some help on my end. You see with me, I know that the game is heavy on different schools' pros and cons and other some such, but I like picking something that is based off what I already like, say for example you like more darker things, naturally you would probably pick death because you like the darker things and it fits perfectly, and at the time you don't really care what it's about, it's just the fact that it's dark and it fits what you like instead of picking something for example storm, because its damage output is crazy and it's super popular and stuff like that. Well, I'm trying to do that, but it's been a bit complicated. You see, I really love the moon, and I really love dark stuff, now reading that you would probably think I should pick death, but when you think about it, storm or ice would probably make more sense, storm is connected to water, and in the game you see a lot of storm spells with water, and water in the real world is directly connected to the moon, which I love more than just darker stuff. That and ice, ice represents winter, and winter in the real world makes night last longer, which in turn makes the moon come out for a longer amount of time. but it's a complex combination between Storm, Ice, or Death. I know I can pick one and mix the schools, but usually people pick a secondary and thaaats about it. not all three. I already talked with people in the real world about this but they all came to the same answer "Pick what I like most" that doesn't help. at all. when I love all 3. Storm and Ice = Connection to the moon, and Death = Connection to the more darker things. I just recently renewed my membership and wanted to start anew with one of these schools, I know in the future I can make all 3 on 3 different wizards, but that is going to take more than just a lot of time since I don't plan to spend 24/7 on Wizard101.

So in Conclusion, if you understand any of the blabber I wrote above, mind helping me out on picking from those 3 schools? you can go ahead and bring in pros/cons and stats and whatever, but as i said I tend to pick when they relate to things i like. and on the side, have any of you done the same where you picked a school without even thinking about the pros/cons, but because its what you liked?

If you didn't understand any of the blabber I wrote above, then go ahead and ignore this topic and move on, its all good <3.

I just really want to get into the game and start playing again but these 3 schools have been nagging at me so badly all day. It's a tough decision when they all relate to things you like.

Darius - (?)

(feel free to ask questions if you don't 100% understand what I'm trying to say as well.)

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Play all three and decide which fits best. You might end up liking all of them. You have 6 slots, why lock yourself into one? All three of these schools have different playing styles, so you should take that into account as well. Storm = hit hard & fast, get out before you get killed. Ice = slow and steady, build up to the kill using high health, resist and shields to defend until ready to kill. Death = carefree build up to the kill, since you end up with max health when you DO attack, there's no real hurry.

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
Yes, my first wizard was balance because I just wanted to be a balance, I didn't care about stats or health or anything. My second wizard is storm, I picked him because I wanted to play as a hitter. Anyway, back to what you want.

Storm- High damage, High critical, Low health. Most spells incorporate water, lots of purples and blues in the spells.
High damage spells will easily take out your enemies, but watch out! If your not fast enough, they'll get you first!

Ice- Medium damage, Low critical, High health. Most spells incorporate snow, lows of blues and whites in the spells.
High health will allow you to stay in battle longer, giving you more time to worry about buffing up, not staying alive.

Death- Medium damage, Medium critical, Medium health. Most spells incorporate dead things (lol), lots of blacks, and darker colors. Return health spells will give you the best of both worlds, deal damage and heal in the same round!

Honestly, is it what you want to see? Like you want to see dark stuff or you want to be dealing with dark stuff?
If you want to see or deal with dark stuff pick death.
If you want to deal with the moon pick storm.
If you want to see the moon pick myth or ice, myth shows the moon in a few spells.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Sethe42 has some good advice. I've ended up with one or more of everything.

Death and ice are both slower safer schools, while storm is fast and risky. All can be fun, and all can work with others in various ways. Bottom line the "best" school is the one you know and play well, and in time that can be any or all.

Explorer
Dec 12, 2012
Here. We all should do an easier quiz that isn't based on your keystone.

Question 1: What's your favorite mythical creature?
A. Triton
B. Centaur/Unicorn
C.Minotaur/Trolls
D. Hydra
E. Frankenstein
F. Dragon
G. Angel
Question 2: What would you like to be doing right now?
A. Playing in the rain
B. Helping others
C. Reading a book
D. Solving Problems
E. Annoying People/Nothing
F. Cooking
G. Ice skating
Question 3: Favorite Pokémon thing?
A. Water Type
B. Celebi/ Jirachi
C. Mythicals
D. Peaceful Pokémon
E. Mewtwo
F. Fire Type
G. Lapras
(Still working on it)

IF YOU GOT...
More A's: You're a powerful storm wizard! Hit as fast as you can, you're very powerful.
More B's: You're the healing life wizard! Heal and tank. If solo, power up slowly then hit!
More C's: You're a mythical myth wizard! Summon minions to do your bidding.
More D's: You're the peaceful balance wizard! Buff others and hit only when needed. If solo, blade then hit!
More E's: You're a bloodthirsty death wizard! Blade then suck other people's health into your own.
More F's: You're a blazing fire wizard! Blade, enchant, sharpen, feint, hit!
More G's: You're a tanky ice wizard! Shield, and maybe annoy, your opponents. Blade, maybe feint, then hit!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
In the real world, I love life of the outdoors; trees, animals, birds, flowers etc. and help friends in need. So I choose life as my first and second wizard. I choose storm for my second favorite wizard because I enjoy watching lightning light up the sky, sounds of thunder and rain hitting the roof. I like sitting around a camp and bonfire fire seeing shades of orange, red and yellow mixed together. So fire wizard is my third and last favorite. For my myth and death wizard, I just play them for the graphics.

Geographer
Mar 12, 2013
I have always figured players fall into two main groups

Team Edward - loves vampires, or you're a vampire. You like pretty things, tidy battles, you're a control freak, you believe there is a best way to do nearly anything and you strive to discover that magic bullet. Very risk-averse. Your schools: death, balance, ice, storm

Team Jacob - likes werewolves, or you're a werewolf. You like functional things, a good medieval style melee with smashing glass and flying chairs and people swinging from chandeliers, and you don't believe in silver bullets. Your schools: fire, myth, and life.

Q: Why is storm in "Team Edward"?

A: Because they shed a lot in warmer weather, "Team Jacob" expect things to get hairy, and are up for the challenge. Most storms do not have the Constitution to allow things to get TOO hairy. Ergo, the longer-lived ones have learned to reduce or eliminate any random aspects from their play environment: 100% critical, because 99% won't do; 100% accuracy, because a fizzling storm is a dead storm; and the highest block they can muster.

Famous Edwardians: Um, Edward. And Squidward. Hmm let's see. Dr von Katzenstein, Vladimir Darkflame, Cipactli, Tymen Whiteflame, Rattlebones.

Famous Jacobians: Um, Jacob. And Howling Chaney, Detolli the Destroyer, Noxious Gas Golem, Chief Whip, Matkis Axethief, and Alorna.

Survivor
Sep 28, 2016
It's common to pick storm because you say it's a hard hitter, you know, but I actually just picked storm because I like the aesthetic feel of it. You know, storms and rain and such. I love games where you can give your character.. character. I like to imagine my wizard as being studious and shy, which is really surprising because she hits hard and quickly in battle. I like to imagine she is quite clumsy, unfortunately, and that is the "reason" she fizzles so often. It's really down to your playing style and what you prefer, so choose what you like.

Defender
Nov 24, 2012
Darius BlackBlood on Sep 16, 2016 wrote:
heeellooo to anyone reading this, I am making this topic to ask if any of you have ever picked your school based off the fact that they match something you like in the real world, and was hoping if I could get some help on my end. You see with me, I know that the game is heavy on different schools' pros and cons and other some such, but I like picking something that is based off what I already like, say for example you like more darker things, naturally you would probably pick death because you like the darker things and it fits perfectly, and at the time you don't really care what it's about, it's just the fact that it's dark and it fits what you like instead of picking something for example storm, because its damage output is crazy and it's super popular and stuff like that. Well, I'm trying to do that, but it's been a bit complicated. You see, I really love the moon, and I really love dark stuff, now reading that you would probably think I should pick death, but when you think about it, storm or ice would probably make more sense, storm is connected to water, and in the game you see a lot of storm spells with water, and water in the real world is directly connected to the moon, which I love more than just darker stuff. That and ice, ice represents winter, and winter in the real world makes night last longer, which in turn makes the moon come out for a longer amount of time. but it's a complex combination between Storm, Ice, or Death. I know I can pick one and mix the schools, but usually people pick a secondary and thaaats about it. not all three. I already talked with people in the real world about this but they all came to the same answer "Pick what I like most" that doesn't help. at all. when I love all 3. Storm and Ice = Connection to the moon, and Death = Connection to the more darker things. I just recently renewed my membership and wanted to start anew with one of these schools, I know in the future I can make all 3 on 3 different wizards, but that is going to take more than just a lot of time since I don't plan to spend 24/7 on Wizard101.

So in Conclusion, if you understand any of the blabber I wrote above, mind helping me out on picking from those 3 schools? you can go ahead and bring in pros/cons and stats and whatever, but as i said I tend to pick when they relate to things i like. and on the side, have any of you done the same where you picked a school without even thinking about the pros/cons, but because its what you liked?

If you didn't understand any of the blabber I wrote above, then go ahead and ignore this topic and move on, its all good <3.

I just really want to get into the game and start playing again but these 3 schools have been nagging at me so badly all day. It's a tough decision when they all relate to things you like.

Darius - (?)

(feel free to ask questions if you don't 100% understand what I'm trying to say as well.)
You're over complicating things. Pick all three. Make a Death, Ice, and Storm wizard. If you get bored playing one of those schools, switch to another one.