Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

New Spell Ideas: Harvest All & Soil Upgrade

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 15, 2013
I love gardening and I notice there are two spells that would be nice to have for newbies and masters of gardening. When you have a lot of plants and they all turn into elder, I find it tedious to press x every single time. There should be a gardening spell (Harvest All) to harvest all elders and adults indoor and outdoor. Since harvesting it doesn't cost any energy, this spell shouldn't cost any as well but it is really useful so I'd say make it at most 2 energy. Another spell idea that I could use is Soil Upgrade. This is an old idea I had when I started gardening. It's a type of soil spell that upgrades a normal plot into a magical plot. It's simple but really useful when you start gardening and make all these plots and then you level up and realize for some seeds, you need magical soil and don't wanna get rid of your plots and have it cost 4 energy instead of just upgrading the normal plot with 2 energy.

Just some thoughts

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Harvest all should be totally free since it already costs nothing to harvest them. As for the upgrading the plots, 4 energy is the cost for plowing the individual soil plot and planting the magical plot, so I think that's a fair cost for an upgrade. Many of us have talked about the harvest all, but I cant say I've seen a plot upgrade idea before (altho Im sure somebody will correct me with a link lol).

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
I would definitely welcome a Harvest All function. I've started experiencing so much lag while gardening lately, with sometimes as much as a 2 - 4 second delay between harvesting each plant. That doesn't seem like a lot of time, but with 12 wizards with 2 gardens, and each garden having 69 plants, even a 2 second delay translates into almost an hour per day. 4 seconds is almost 2 hours per day. It's so frustrating. With the amount of time I have per day to play, that leaves me about enough time to do the Daily Assignments.

I could easily do without an icon for every item I harvest. If we could harvest all plants at once, we could get a summary screen with a total of all of the items harvested.

The only issue I see with a Harvest All functions is when your backpack and/or spell deck is full, some people might be upset that they aren't able to stop harvesting to sell things off so that they don't lose those rewards. But personally, I'm willing to live with that. If my backpack is full, and my spell book is full, my Gold is usually maxed out as well. I just keep on harvesting through the NPC warnings because I can't be bothered to go buy something I don't need so that I can sell something I don't need so that I have room to harvest something I don't need.

Your other idea would also be great if it worked both ways; one spell to "upgrade" a regular plot to enchanted, and one to "downgrade" an enchanted plot to regular. Sometimes maybe you want to go from Prickly Bear Cactus farms to Evil Magma Pea farms. I know I did once.

Survivor
Jun 15, 2013
dayerider on Aug 27, 2016 wrote:
Harvest all should be totally free since it already costs nothing to harvest them. As for the upgrading the plots, 4 energy is the cost for plowing the individual soil plot and planting the magical plot, so I think that's a fair cost for an upgrade. Many of us have talked about the harvest all, but I cant say I've seen a plot upgrade idea before (altho Im sure somebody will correct me with a link lol).
What I meant for the soil upgrade was it should only cost 2 energy because a normal plot costs 1 and an enchanted one costs 3. That way it saves time AND energy.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
High Five Ghost on Aug 28, 2016 wrote:
I would definitely welcome a Harvest All function. I've started experiencing so much lag while gardening lately, with sometimes as much as a 2 - 4 second delay between harvesting each plant. That doesn't seem like a lot of time, but with 12 wizards with 2 gardens, and each garden having 69 plants, even a 2 second delay translates into almost an hour per day. 4 seconds is almost 2 hours per day. It's so frustrating. With the amount of time I have per day to play, that leaves me about enough time to do the Daily Assignments.

I could easily do without an icon for every item I harvest. If we could harvest all plants at once, we could get a summary screen with a total of all of the items harvested.

The only issue I see with a Harvest All functions is when your backpack and/or spell deck is full, some people might be upset that they aren't able to stop harvesting to sell things off so that they don't lose those rewards. But personally, I'm willing to live with that. If my backpack is full, and my spell book is full, my Gold is usually maxed out as well. I just keep on harvesting through the NPC warnings because I can't be bothered to go buy something I don't need so that I can sell something I don't need so that I have room to harvest something I don't need.

Your other idea would also be great if it worked both ways; one spell to "upgrade" a regular plot to enchanted, and one to "downgrade" an enchanted plot to regular. Sometimes maybe you want to go from Prickly Bear Cactus farms to Evil Magma Pea farms. I know I did once.
BUT.... anything that needs regular soil can be planted in magical soil, so there's no reason to downgrade. Perfect example are Couch Potatoes. They need a large regular plot but will work just fine in a large magical plot. There's zero reason to downgrade I plant them in magical plots every single time and it works flawlessly :)

Historian
Nov 28, 2010
dayerider on Aug 27, 2016 wrote:
On the plot upgrade idea the energy cost isn't so much the driving issue, it's the time. Plough All makes it easy to get rid of the old plots. But if you're making a stacked 69 plot garden, that takes a lot of time to re-stack everything. If you could cut out the approximately extra half hour of work it takes to keep repositioning crates by just changing the properties of the existing plots, that would be quite beneficial.

Defender
Apr 06, 2013
Your ideas sure sound great and I would hope that the function soon come to exist. It should be free and the upgrade plot would of course cost energy.

Alejandro

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
High Five Ghost on Aug 28, 2016 wrote:
On the plot upgrade idea the energy cost isn't so much the driving issue, it's the time. Plough All makes it easy to get rid of the old plots. But if you're making a stacked 69 plot garden, that takes a lot of time to re-stack everything. If you could cut out the approximately extra half hour of work it takes to keep repositioning crates by just changing the properties of the existing plots, that would be quite beneficial.
and we have never disagreed on the usefulness of upgrading the plots. I LIKE the idea, and stated so in my original reply. The only issue the OP and I had was the energy cost. I was stating that the I felt that the cost, if it were to happen, of 4 energy (which is exactly how much it would cost to plow the plot and replant one) would be fair in my eyes. The OP wanted 3 energy, and I'd be fine with that too. ANYTHING that streamlines the time it takes to garden Im all for, as long as the cost makes sense, regardless of how much that cost actually is. Keep in mind that the plant all, and plow all spells, dont lessen the cost of doing it one by one. It SEEMS to simply perform the action on them all and removes the exact same energy as if you did them one at a time. That is why I used the amount of 4 energy. That is the ONLY reason why I mentioned 4 energy. Less is better sure, but I think people would be happier that the idea itself came to fruition, and wouldnt complain if it cost one more energy to do. Hope that makes sense

Explorer
Oct 27, 2009
I find it annoying that I have to literally search with my mouse between every plant I have to find that one specific plant that is needing attention. Because of the mouse over issue I am currently unable to locate the ONE SINGLE PLANT THAT NEEDS ATTENTION. and so that one turns out next time I log in to be dying and How would I know until it is in its phase of death?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
AtomGrounder on Aug 30, 2016 wrote:
I find it annoying that I have to literally search with my mouse between every plant I have to find that one specific plant that is needing attention. Because of the mouse over issue I am currently unable to locate the ONE SINGLE PLANT THAT NEEDS ATTENTION. and so that one turns out next time I log in to be dying and How would I know until it is in its phase of death?
I use the large area gardening spell on my stacked garden. if I cant find the ONE that is out of synch, I'll just let it die, then revive it and tend it AFTER I have tended the rest of them and elder harvested. I know, it's a long round about solution, but it works. Sometimes, I can find the one plant, other times not. This is the risk we take with stacked gardens