Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Current Thoughts on Max PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
So I'm going to start by saying that yes this is a message to KI outlining my concerns over Max Level PvP and because I have limited character space, I will be restricting this post to these 2 areas of focus concerning (Max) PvP:

(Everything except the paragraphs in Blue is backstory and supporting evidence)

1. Variety / Viability of Strategy
2. Value of Shadow Pips

Everything I'm about to say is either mere Opinion or Suggestion from a W101 player, so keep your composure if you read something that you don't like.

With the updates in the past few years came a lot of new content especially in the forms of new spellcards for the Wizard's spellbook that catered specifically to the Offensive playstyle. When Zafaria came around, we were blessed with Colossal. With Azteca, we got new Auras - damage boosting Auras (bar Life until 3 and half years later), Khrysalis Part 2, Darkmoor and 1-Shot Gauntlets introduced us to Shadow/Enhanced Spells, Pierce Jewels and Improved Damage Gear altogether uncontested by any countergear, while also giving us the Level 97+ Critical and Pierce Globals while Polaris upped the power on Colossal to Epic and gave us even stronger Shadow Enhanced Spells.

All the while, the tools we got to cater to other playstyles since Celestia was 1 update each to Fortify, Primordial and Mend, and the benefits so little, they couldn't keep up with all of what Offense was getting. So the meta shifted to the Hyper Offense "Crit and kill you before you Crit and kill me" (which is ironic given Storm's purpose compared to it's actual current Viability) and every school hopped on the bandwagon.

So what's the problem then? A PvP meta where one sole playstyle reigns supreme and uncontested accompanied with one "type" of card that is a necessity to win and a guarantee to see ad nauseam in any match is a boring, predictable and non-challenging meta. And nobody wants that. 3rd Age PvP (1v1 especially) has become "If you can manifest a Shadow Pip more often than your opponent, you're almost guaranteed to win if you know what you're doing", which makes the PvP badges more of a show of RnG prowess, rather than talent.

My suggestion to fix this is to alter the worth of Shadow Pips. I truly feel like it was their introduction into the game that tilted it, not necessarily Critical but most definitely the combination of both. I understand that the chance to get them is significantly less than that of regular Pips or even Power Pips, so you made the spells strong to solidify the Shadow Pip's worth, I simply believe you went overboard with the "making the spells strong" aspect. KI please consider making a Shadow Enhanced Spell 2-3 Pips-worth stronger than it would be regularly, not the current 6 (for the Darkmoor ones at least, the Polaris S/E spells seem to boost by 4, which makes them fair but almost completely overshadowed). As it stands, Shadow Pips are just too much of a vital variable to healthily remain determined by RnG. Please fix this. Ty

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Great post. You are exactly right, the lack of diversity in the way an opponent can be defeated is so contrary to a CCG game.

The main reason I like this game is because it's based off of a CCG. They started wizard101 with a bunch of cards at a table. I used to play magic the gathering and a lot of games like it, and in all of them there was never one way to defeat an enemy. The more creative you were the better your deck would be.

It was never I use all my best damage cards vs. You using all your best damage cards to see who would win. That's exactly what PVP here has become, as you have more eloquently described. Every update we get another more powerful damage card. It's not hard to see how we got here.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2008
Mr Talon on Aug 27, 2016 wrote:
Great post. You are exactly right, the lack of diversity in the way an opponent can be defeated is so contrary to a CCG game.

The main reason I like this game is because it's based off of a CCG. They started wizard101 with a bunch of cards at a table. I used to play magic the gathering and a lot of games like it, and in all of them there was never one way to defeat an enemy. The more creative you were the better your deck would be.

It was never I use all my best damage cards vs. You using all your best damage cards to see who would win. That's exactly what PVP here has become, as you have more eloquently described. Every update we get another more powerful damage card. It's not hard to see how we got here.
Mfw I forget to actually put the paragraphs in blue... I meant the last 2 paragraphs for anyone who reads this and is confused.

Also thank you Mr. Talon for the kind words n_n I used to love W101 a lot and for the most part, still do but what I fell in love with years ago was all the strategy that went into PvP, not what's it's become now.