Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Armor Pierce and Resist Problem

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
After the introduction of Jade gear, KI's decision to not make it 'no PvP' and rather boost up our offensive stats instead which broke up the meta even more, etc., many of us PvP players would never have imagined that KI would ever make a public claim that they wanted to "remake pvp into a fair and fun system" like in the post linked here. While I have been extremely critical on these message boards of the direction that the game was taking for the last couple years,I must admit that we've seen extremely positive changes regarding PvP.

KI's message board communicators really do deserve a lot of credit for their directing player suggestions to the higher ups, and it's really made positive changes to this game. For example,Lydia Greyrose directly replied to this thread about Loremaster spells, and in the very next update, all Loremaster spells were buffed to be in roughly equal strength with Loremaster. In one of the threads in which Sparck replied to, every suggestion that was made regarding health increase, Loremaster, Burning Rampage, and Guardian Spirit were all implemented. Furthermore, Bad Juju Jades were addressed here and Dispel shields were added here. With all these recent updates, I believe a lot of us players deserve to give a big thank you to the people at work here for being more communicative with their players and for being direct with us about their intentions for PvP, both on these message boards and on social media.

With that said, I would like to open discussion with other forum members here about where PvP is currently and where some problems still lie, and where some issues still need to be addressed. As some of the older forum members here may know, I take an obsessive interest with game balance (not limited to just Wizard101) and I give a lot of thought to many ideas in many different games, as it is in line with my field of study when I was at school. Here I will outline some of the current problems and will suggest solutions with explanations as to why and how those solutions would work.

Armor Pierce Resist
It is no secret here that high level PvP still suffers harshly from being very offensive. While health has been added, which definitely helped balance out the issue with extremely large swing factors in matches, matches are still extremely one directional. As my good message boards friend Veracity8 once stated, players are pitted sword against sword, and when that happens, it often becomes a game of the first or biggest strike to win. When the meta is still extremely fast paced, the issues that lie with the first turn advantage and with high value low cost spells (Icebird, Fire Beetle, dispels) become very hyperbolized. While max level is still extremely offensive, the problems involving Jade gear still exist. As a result, high level PvP is a massive spectrum of "too offensive to defend against" (Darkmoor + Dragoon gear players), and "too defensive to take out" (high resist + high critical + high heal boost gear players), and really no middle ground. To aid against hyper offense and Jade gear simultaneously, armor pierce resist is a stat that can kill two birds with one stone in this situation. I will further detail why this stat needs to be added to the game.
While resist has been increasing to counter armor pierce, buffing up resist is not a good solution. Since Wizard101 is a game based on percentages, resist can not and should not increase infinitely. While having 60% armor pierce and 90% resist may sound balanced on paper, that is not the case at all. Yes, the defending player will have 30% resist left over, which sounds balanced, but the second the 90% resist player uses a shield, let's say, a 50%Tower Shield for example, 50% of that armor pierce will go into the Tower Shield. There will be 10% armor pierce left over, so subtract 90 resist by 10 pierce, and the attack will go into 80% resist. That Tower Shield is effectively working as an 80% shield in this scenario rather than 50%!! A theoretical 1000 damage attack will do 200 damage rather than 500, which is huge.
So the correct solution? Introduce the Armor Pierce Resist stat, and to balance it with the current high resist (Jade) gear available, make the stat be given through existing non-universal hats boots and robes only, or to new gear only. That way, since the stat will not be given through Athames, Rings, Amulets or pet talents, Jades will not be able to combine high resist with high armor pierce resist. Now let's have a scenario the exact same 30% pierce to resist differential, but with Armor Pierce Resist into the equation.
Let's say level 130 gear given Armor Pierce = 100%, Armor Pierce resist = 70%, Resist from gear = 50%. When Tower Shield is calculated, the 100% armor pierce will be reduced by 70% before the shield is calculated. 30% Armor Pierce is going into the shield, so the Tower Shield is left with 20%. A 1000 damage attack will have -20% from Tower Shield and then -50% from resist. Rather than the 200 damage scenario above, the theoretical 1000 damage attack will be doing 400 damage, making the 50% Tower Shield effectively reduce 60% damage rather than 80% as previously calculated.
The reason why armor pierce resist is required is due to the one fatal flaw of the current Wizard101 resist system: it is percentage based. Since it is percentage based, resist has to have a cap before it becomes far too centralizing. Not even armor pierce will be a solution at some point because shields will eventually provide far too much value for what is originally casted, which is actually already the case in PvP currently. 60% universal resist is the norm at the moment with Darkmoor hat + robe, Dragoon boots and amulet, and 15% resist from pet, while Ice currently achieves 70% universal resist with said gear. Add ward talents from pets, and that resist goes up to 75% for non-Ice wizards, and 85% for Ice wizards. With the current ~40% pierce average, once an Ice wizard is shielded with Tower Shield, any attack is hitting into 85% resist, which is nearly as powerful as a Weakness from ?Efreet. The only 2 ways to fix this problem are to either 1) revamp resist completely (move away from the percentage system), or 2) make the two scaling stat factors be our Armor Pierce and Armor Pierce Resist rather than our Armor Pierce vs Resist scaling, and then reduce the resist given through level 100+ amulets.
Since Jade and other universal high resist gear won't be given Armor Pierce Resist, this completely eliminates the massive spectrum between extremely broken offense and extremely broken defense that we have in this game currently. One stat completely fixes the high RNG insane offensive state that high level PvP has made its home since 2015.

"But... Shadow Shrike Would Still Be a Problem?? Right?"

Yes. Shadow Shrike's 50% armor pierce offering would still be a problem, and the spell will continue to poison PvP as long as the pierce amount is 50% (plus another 10% from the Dragonspear). The problem with Shadow Shrike is that when combined with Shadow Enhanced Spells, our offensive capability is far too powerful for a) the cost of the spells and b) what our wizards can handle. In short, the discrepancy between non-Shadow and Shadow spells is far too large. Shadow spells are leagues above other spells in value, and as long as Shadow Shrike persists, that will always be the case. However, as I outlined above, Jade (and other universal high resist gear similar to Jade) wouldn't be a problem any longer once Armor Pierce Resist phases out such gear, since said gear won't offer Armor Pierce Resist. Once those stats become available, Shadow Shrike would be balanced if it gave 30% Armor Pierce rather than 50%, as 50% would no longer be necessary.

In Conclusion...

As far as I'm concerned, lowering our damage output and simultaneously phasing out insane resist from gear will fix a vast majority of the max level meta problems. Mastery amulets and off-school heals would probably be viable once again for the first time in 5 years at top level, control-based and utility-based cards such as minions and Supercharge, Backdraft, Enfeeble, Dimension Shift will become more viable, and the high RNG/swing factor regarding Black Mantle and Stuns will be decreased significantly, which is good for the game. As far as we know, Turn Based PvP is coming to Ranked likely in the next PvP update (so this Spring or Summer), and with a well-paced balanced metagame that offers more strategies, the only thing KI would need to re-focus on would be balancing out schools themselves rather than the metagame, which after 8 years of attempted solutions with the domino effect that resulted since Jade + high resist gear was released, is still not fixed.

KI's responsiveness to player feedback (thanks again community managers) and their statement to making PvP fun and fair again, as well as my friend showing me my old post's ideas that got implemented into this game encouraged me to make this thread on fixing the current meta. If anybody else has any personal suggestions or takeaways, feel free to do what's been helping fix the game: discuss below.

Administrator
PvP King on Jan 27, 2020 wrote:
After the introduction of Jade gear, KI's decision to not make it 'no PvP' and rather boost up our offensive stats instead which broke up the meta even more, etc., many of us PvP players would never have imagined that KI would ever make a public claim that they wanted to "remake pvp into a fair and fun system" like in the post linked here. While I have been extremely critical on these message boards of the direction that the game was taking for the last couple years,I must admit that we've seen extremely positive changes regarding PvP.

KI's message board communicators really do deserve a lot of credit for their directing player suggestions to the higher ups, and it's really made positive changes to this game. For example,Lydia Greyrose directly replied to this thread about Loremaster spells, and in the very next update, all Loremaster spells were buffed to be in roughly equal strength with Loremaster. In one of the threads in which Sparck replied to, every suggestion that was made regarding health increase, Loremaster, Burning Rampage, and Guardian Spirit were all implemented. Furthermore, Bad Juju Jades were addressed here and Dispel shields were added here. With all these recent updates, I believe a lot of us players deserve to give a big thank you to the people at work here for being more communicative with their players and for being direct with us about their intentions for PvP, both on these message boards and on social media.

With that said, I would like to open discussion with other forum members here about where PvP is currently and where some problems still lie, and where some issues still need to be addressed. As some of the older forum members here may know, I take an obsessive interest with game balance (not limited to just Wizard101) and I give a lot of thought to many ideas in many different games, as it is in line with my field of study when I was at school. Here I will outline some of the current problems and will suggest solutions with explanations as to why and how those solutions would work.

Armor Pierce Resist
It is no secret here that high level PvP still suffers harshly from being very offensive. While health has been added, which definitely helped balance out the issue with extremely large swing factors in matches, matches are still extremely one directional. As my good message boards friend Veracity8 once stated, players are pitted sword against sword, and when that happens, it often becomes a game of the first or biggest strike to win. When the meta is still extremely fast paced, the issues that lie with the first turn advantage and with high value low cost spells (Icebird, Fire Beetle, dispels) become very hyperbolized. While max level is still extremely offensive, the problems involving Jade gear still exist. As a result, high level PvP is a massive spectrum of "too offensive to defend against" (Darkmoor + Dragoon gear players), and "too defensive to take out" (high resist + high critical + high heal boost gear players), and really no middle ground. To aid against hyper offense and Jade gear simultaneously, armor pierce resist is a stat that can kill two birds with one stone in this situation. I will further detail why this stat needs to be added to the game.
While resist has been increasing to counter armor pierce, buffing up resist is not a good solution. Since Wizard101 is a game based on percentages, resist can not and should not increase infinitely. While having 60% armor pierce and 90% resist may sound balanced on paper, that is not the case at all. Yes, the defending player will have 30% resist left over, which sounds balanced, but the second the 90% resist player uses a shield, let's say, a 50%Tower Shield for example, 50% of that armor pierce will go into the Tower Shield. There will be 10% armor pierce left over, so subtract 90 resist by 10 pierce, and the attack will go into 80% resist. That Tower Shield is effectively working as an 80% shield in this scenario rather than 50%!! A theoretical 1000 damage attack will do 200 damage rather than 500, which is huge.
So the correct solution? Introduce the Armor Pierce Resist stat, and to balance it with the current high resist (Jade) gear available, make the stat be given through existing non-universal hats boots and robes only, or to new gear only. That way, since the stat will not be given through Athames, Rings, Amulets or pet talents, Jades will not be able to combine high resist with high armor pierce resist. Now let's have a scenario the exact same 30% pierce to resist differential, but with Armor Pierce Resist into the equation.
Let's say level 130 gear given Armor Pierce = 100%, Armor Pierce resist = 70%, Resist from gear = 50%. When Tower Shield is calculated, the 100% armor pierce will be reduced by 70% before the shield is calculated. 30% Armor Pierce is going into the shield, so the Tower Shield is left with 20%. A 1000 damage attack will have -20% from Tower Shield and then -50% from resist. Rather than the 200 damage scenario above, the theoretical 1000 damage attack will be doing 400 damage, making the 50% Tower Shield effectively reduce 60% damage rather than 80% as previously calculated.
The reason why armor pierce resist is required is due to the one fatal flaw of the current Wizard101 resist system: it is percentage based. Since it is percentage based, resist has to have a cap before it becomes far too centralizing. Not even armor pierce will be a solution at some point because shields will eventually provide far too much value for what is originally casted, which is actually already the case in PvP currently. 60% universal resist is the norm at the moment with Darkmoor hat + robe, Dragoon boots and amulet, and 15% resist from pet, while Ice currently achieves 70% universal resist with said gear. Add ward talents from pets, and that resist goes up to 75% for non-Ice wizards, and 85% for Ice wizards. With the current ~40% pierce average, once an Ice wizard is shielded with Tower Shield, any attack is hitting into 85% resist, which is nearly as powerful as a Weakness from ?Efreet. The only 2 ways to fix this problem are to either 1) revamp resist completely (move away from the percentage system), or 2) make the two scaling stat factors be our Armor Pierce and Armor Pierce Resist rather than our Armor Pierce vs Resist scaling, and then reduce the resist given through level 100+ amulets.
Since Jade and other universal high resist gear won't be given Armor Pierce Resist, this completely eliminates the massive spectrum between extremely broken offense and extremely broken defense that we have in this game currently. One stat completely fixes the high RNG insane offensive state that high level PvP has made its home since 2015.

Yes. Shadow Shrike's 50% armor pierce offering would still be a problem, and the spell will continue to poison PvP as long as the pierce amount is 50% (plus another 10% from the Dragonspear). The problem with Shadow Shrike is that when combined with Shadow Enhanced Spells, our offensive capability is far too powerful for a) the cost of the spells and b) what our wizards can handle. In short, the discrepancy between non-Shadow and Shadow spells is far too large. Shadow spells are leagues above other spells in value, and as long as Shadow Shrike persists, that will always be the case. However, as I outlined above, Jade (and other universal high resist gear similar to Jade) wouldn't be a problem any longer once Armor Pierce Resist phases out such gear, since said gear won't offer Armor Pierce Resist. Once those stats become available, Shadow Shrike would be balanced if it gave 30% Armor Pierce rather than 50%, as 50% would no longer be necessary.

In Conclusion...

As far as I'm concerned, lowering our damage output and simultaneously phasing out insane resist from gear will fix a vast majority of the max level meta problems. Mastery amulets and off-school heals would probably be viable once again for the first time in 5 years at top level, control-based and utility-based cards such as minions and Supercharge, Backdraft, Enfeeble, Dimension Shift will become more viable, and the high RNG/swing factor regarding Black Mantle and Stuns will be decreased significantly, which is good for the game. As far as we know, Turn Based PvP is coming to Ranked likely in the next PvP update (so this Spring or Summer), and with a well-paced balanced metagame that offers more strategies, the only thing KI would need to re-focus on would be balancing out schools themselves rather than the metagame, which after 8 years of attempted solutions with the domino effect that resulted since Jade + high resist gear was released, is still not fixed.

KI's responsiveness to player feedback (thanks again community managers) and their statement to making PvP fun and fair again, as well as my friend showing me my old post's ideas that got implemented into this game encouraged me to make this thread on fixing the current meta. If anybody else has any personal suggestions or takeaways, feel free to do what's been helping fix the game: discuss below.
Thanks PvP King!

Explorer
Feb 28, 2009
PvP King on Jan 27, 2020 wrote:

Armor Pierce Resist

In Conclusion...

I get what you are saying. But if you don't like how pvp is then just don't do it. It seems kind of selfish you want to change the entirety of top level pvp just because you don't like how fast paced it is. I personally enjoy how fast, and energetic pvp is, full of moments you would find in a Yugioh video.

At max level, we should feel powerful considering lore wise we graduated from Ravenwood, and that the main purpose of wizards being so strong is to take on legendary enemies such as the Hoodied Bug Guy, the Giant Trident and more. If you want slow pvp, just make a new wizard, potion it, then you can have all the slow battles you can dream of there. While I get to keep enjoying the intense power fantasy battles. I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys how battles play out at top tier. I dislike wasting spending 30 minutes a match cause someone stalls, which you can't really do at top tier.

Also if you can make a TLDR, its a bit long.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
DarkAce88 on Feb 11, 2020 wrote:
I get what you are saying. But if you don't like how pvp is then just don't do it. It seems kind of selfish you want to change the entirety of top level pvp just because you don't like how fast paced it is. I personally enjoy how fast, and energetic pvp is, full of moments you would find in a Yugioh video.

At max level, we should feel powerful considering lore wise we graduated from Ravenwood, and that the main purpose of wizards being so strong is to take on legendary enemies such as the Hoodied Bug Guy, the Giant Trident and more. If you want slow pvp, just make a new wizard, potion it, then you can have all the slow battles you can dream of there. While I get to keep enjoying the intense power fantasy battles. I'm sure I'm not the only one who enjoys how battles play out at top tier. I dislike wasting spending 30 minutes a match cause someone stalls, which you can't really do at top tier.

I don't have a problem with top level PvP being fast paced. I have a problem with top level PvP damage output being so high that it is completely unbalanced. You are getting Fire wizards running 160% damage with MayCast Fuel and if they go first they Fire Beetle you turn one. If their pet casts Fuel and you didn't shield turn one, you immediately lose the match after casting one spell. That's absolutely ridiculous and it's becoming a really common strategy. Even when Turn Based becomes the main mode of PvP that will still be a problem. I am also not the only one that claims that max level PvP is in a "broken offensive meta." Here are a few people that say the same:
I could go on and on about how many posts there are about people complaining about max level being too fast/armor pierce being too high/we're dealing too much damage.
"If you want slow pvp, just make a new wizard, potion it, then you can have all the slow battles you can dream of there."
At what level do "slow battles" exist at exactly? Level 10 is really offensive. Level 20 is really offensive. Level 30 is really offensive. Level 40 is really offensive. Level 50 is really offensive except Balance. Level 60 is insanely offensive. Level 70 is really offensive. Level 80 is really offensive. Level 90 is offensive. Levels 100, 110, 120, and 130 are also beyond offensive.
The issues that come with PvP being offensive are that some schools have really overpowered high-value spells that cause massive swings (Icebird, Fire Beetle, Efreet, Abominble Weaver, any offensive MayCast at all), the meta because Black Mantle Meta because a fizzle wins you a game now, and most people die in 2-3 hits. I'm okay with max level being offensive, but it's too offensive to the point that you can't do anything at all to survive except snipe somebody in the queue with high resist. That needs changing and a lot of people have been asking for max level to be slowed down for a solid 5 years now.

Explorer
Dec 02, 2014

i king wish they come out with a new pvp mood called randmize

basically how it work would be it band random spell then give you a random deck build for your school that you then have to work with to defeat your enemy not only that but if it was a 4v4 then it make it where each player has to build with the other even offer blades from there teamates school so they can help blade of block and not only that random cheat could be in a effect for the game that effect everyone like lets say you use a arena spell the cheat would be started by that and then it put let say a negtive 75 on both side one player each.

just to make player think outside the box there so use to

Survivor
Sep 04, 2010

It's hardly selfish to ask for max level pvp to be slower when there's already a tournament mode dedicated to fast paced matches called quick match pvp. Most players who play ranked pvp matches dont usually like this new fast pace meta because you can't make tactical plays as much as you could before. Now the meta is just a brainless offensive strategy.