Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

non-treasure card items and why we can't trade them?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 06, 2018
Hello,

I must preface this with the understanding that I do know that kingsisle doesn't intend to implement a trading system that deals in items other than treasure cards. And at the same time I understand that this MMO's target audience is for those between the ages of 10-15 years of age (in spite of having a large following of young adults, grown adults and even seniors on some occasions).

Now with this all having been said, I find myself curious as to why such a thing can't be implemented, after all Every conversation that I have found asking about or for such a system is usually met with @Lydia Greyrose saying:

"We feel that an economy of item trading is not appropriate for our game. KingsIsle Entertainment has developed Wizard101 to be an exciting and fun online experience for people of all ages. We believe that an important part of delivering online entertainment is to provide a safe environment for all players, and that’s a responsibility we take seriously. Introducing an in-game item trading economy does not fit with our values and vision for Wizard101."

Introducing an in-game item trading economy does not fit with our values and vision for Wizard101" in my opinion at least does not constitute as a cogent response as to why such a system can't be implemented, especially when there is a plethora of other MMO's out there with a system just like this (i.e: elder scrolls online, World of Warcraft, Black desert online, Eve online just to name a few).

Cheers

Sean Bearfist

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
This really should be added. No downside to it. Currently trading reagents can only be done via the Bazaar where people can snipe trades which is not good.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Drapelape on Dec 3, 2019 wrote:
Hello,

I must preface this with the understanding that I do know that kingsisle doesn't intend to implement a trading system that deals in items other than treasure cards. And at the same time I understand that this MMO's target audience is for those between the ages of 10-15 years of age (in spite of having a large following of young adults, grown adults and even seniors on some occasions).

Now with this all having been said, I find myself curious as to why such a thing can't be implemented, after all Every conversation that I have found asking about or for such a system is usually met with @Lydia Greyrose saying:

"We feel that an economy of item trading is not appropriate for our game. KingsIsle Entertainment has developed Wizard101 to be an exciting and fun online experience for people of all ages. We believe that an important part of delivering online entertainment is to provide a safe environment for all players, and that’s a responsibility we take seriously. Introducing an in-game item trading economy does not fit with our values and vision for Wizard101."

Introducing an in-game item trading economy does not fit with our values and vision for Wizard101" in my opinion at least does not constitute as a cogent response as to why such a system can't be implemented, especially when there is a plethora of other MMO's out there with a system just like this (i.e: elder scrolls online, World of Warcraft, Black desert online, Eve online just to name a few).

Cheers

Sean Bearfist
If Wizard101 were like every other MMO out there, there would be no reason to play this game. I have played some of the others and have dumped all to come back to Wizard101.

This game was originally created to keep younger players in a safer environment than all the other MMO's. There is no way I would let my grandson's play those other games.

If KI were to implement a system such as you describe, there would be no reason to have a Bazaar or Crown's shop. It has always been the practice of being able to pass items to other wizards on the same account via the Shared Bank. The idea of a player earning a certain item in the game is more rewarding than having it handed over without the challenge.

By not allowing Items to be traded with other players, it also reduces the risk of being scammed.

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
DragonLady1818 on Dec 3, 2019 wrote:
If Wizard101 were like every other MMO out there, there would be no reason to play this game. I have played some of the others and have dumped all to come back to Wizard101.

This game was originally created to keep younger players in a safer environment than all the other MMO's. There is no way I would let my grandson's play those other games.

If KI were to implement a system such as you describe, there would be no reason to have a Bazaar or Crown's shop. It has always been the practice of being able to pass items to other wizards on the same account via the Shared Bank. The idea of a player earning a certain item in the game is more rewarding than having it handed over without the challenge.

By not allowing Items to be traded with other players, it also reduces the risk of being scammed.
Agreed! My brother enjoys playing on an online server in Minecraft, and let me tell you, scamming is RAMPANT there. The local trade system is constantly abused, and people don't always get their money's worth. That's another reason why I like this game. People don't run around requesting absurd prices for top-notch gear, and there's way less scamming. People have to get the things themselves, and... it's hard to describe... it feels more rewarding.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2018
DragonLady1818 on Dec 3, 2019 wrote:

My point regarding the fact that other MMO's utilize such a system was my allusion to the fact that such a system works already without necessarily compromising the saftey of those who play this game. I'm not comparing other games to wizard101 in terms of play-ability. Furthermore, I beg to differ with the sentiment that this would alleviate the need to having a bazaar.

Games like World of Warcraft and Elder scrolls online have a trading system along side a bazaar/auction housing system. In this Players can trade specific items and gold between other players, this serves the purpose of a barter system with little to no gold based benefit while the auction houses/bazaar's would serve to actually provide gold to those selling, and in addition to this; making it easier for those looking for specific items.

In addition to this, Scamming as it would be with this hypothetically implemented would not even be able to be compared to gross amount of risk and possible scams that are taking place now. In this game the closest you can get to trading things like reagents or non-auction-able items is through using the commonly agreed upon currency traded (usually empower tc's) and trading them to the seller, to then coordinating transactions through the bazaar by selling the desired item and HOPING that the person buying is quick enough to buy the item. This is incredibly risky on both ends, because the currency could be lost, the item could be bought by some one separate from the transaction, among other things.

Furthermore the Crown shop would still serve its purpose because of the fact that it serves as a means for people to spend real life money on certain specialty items that can ONLY be bought with crowns. Im sure that if this system would be implemented certain items would remain unable to be traded. I.E the soul bound mechanic in World of Warcraft, or the un-tradeable mechanic in Elder Scrolls online. For example,Raid items in world of warcraft or legendary items in Elder scrolls online are unable to be traded, while reagents and collectable items are tradeable and sell-able in the auction houses.

Lastly, I find it hard to believe that introducing a trading economy "endagers" the children playing the game, as a matter of fact i think it would be quite educational in introducing the children who play this game to the concept of Microeconomics and the idea of trade value, a certain education which is hardly taught in our public school system.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2018
Lookit Light on Dec 4, 2019 wrote:
Agreed! My brother enjoys playing on an online server in Minecraft, and let me tell you, scamming is RAMPANT there. The local trade system is constantly abused, and people don't always get their money's worth. That's another reason why I like this game. People don't run around requesting absurd prices for top-notch gear, and there's way less scamming. People have to get the things themselves, and... it's hard to describe... it feels more rewarding.
I understand where you are coming from in regards to the local minecraft trading systems. But one thing you should understand in the implementation of the system of which i speak of is the fact that it would be highly regulated which would minimize the amount of scams that take place, because A- Minecraft servers are regulated by communities which are already tasked with a plethora of things leaving it more difficult to regulate trades that occur on a consistent basis, and B- trades are done by plopping items on the ground which can be easily stolen, like items intentionally traded in the bazaar. Scams like the one you reference in MC are a common place in W101.Implementing this system would actually help with this issue.

In addition to this certain functions like soul-bound or untrade-ables (found in WoW or ESO) would actually preempt the trading of certain items (i.e Water works gear, Darkmoor gear, final dungeon gear, crafted gear, ect.). In world of warcraft it is impossible to trade raid items because of the soulbound function, and in ESO it is impossible to trade orange tier items because of the untradeable mechanic tied to certain items. however in both games regaents, gold and other minor items (which are needed for crafting and are a grind to attain) are tradeable making certain grinds (like the grind that it is to craft in w101) easier.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2018
JewelKI on Dec 3, 2019 wrote:
This really should be added. No downside to it. Currently trading reagents can only be done via the Bazaar where people can snipe trades which is not good.
Glad to see im not alone in believing this should be implemented.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Drapelape on Dec 8, 2019 wrote:
My point regarding the fact that other MMO's utilize such a system was my allusion to the fact that such a system works already without necessarily compromising the saftey of those who play this game. I'm not comparing other games to wizard101 in terms of play-ability. Furthermore, I beg to differ with the sentiment that this would alleviate the need to having a bazaar.

Games like World of Warcraft and Elder scrolls online have a trading system along side a bazaar/auction housing system. In this Players can trade specific items and gold between other players, this serves the purpose of a barter system with little to no gold based benefit while the auction houses/bazaar's would serve to actually provide gold to those selling, and in addition to this; making it easier for those looking for specific items.

In addition to this, Scamming as it would be with this hypothetically implemented would not even be able to be compared to gross amount of risk and possible scams that are taking place now. In this game the closest you can get to trading things like reagents or non-auction-able items is through using the commonly agreed upon currency traded (usually empower tc's) and trading them to the seller, to then coordinating transactions through the bazaar by selling the desired item and HOPING that the person buying is quick enough to buy the item. This is incredibly risky on both ends, because the currency could be lost, the item could be bought by some one separate from the transaction, among other things.

Furthermore the Crown shop would still serve its purpose because of the fact that it serves as a means for people to spend real life money on certain specialty items that can ONLY be bought with crowns. Im sure that if this system would be implemented certain items would remain unable to be traded. I.E the soul bound mechanic in World of Warcraft, or the un-tradeable mechanic in Elder Scrolls online. For example,Raid items in world of warcraft or legendary items in Elder scrolls online are unable to be traded, while reagents and collectable items are tradeable and sell-able in the auction houses.

Lastly, I find it hard to believe that introducing a trading economy "endagers" the children playing the game, as a matter of fact i think it would be quite educational in introducing the children who play this game to the concept of Microeconomics and the idea of trade value, a certain education which is hardly taught in our public school system.
I still disagree. My grandsons won't be playing and neither will I if this kind of system is introduced into the game.

KI would also have to implement another parental control button to children accounts to prevent their child from being scammed.

This game was designed with children 10+ in mind. Children that age are not equipped to handle any sort of transaction of the kind you are suggesting. Plus, those kinds of transactions should be taught by the parent and NOT in a game.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2018
DragonLady1818 on Dec 10, 2019 wrote:
I still disagree. My grandsons won't be playing and neither will I if this kind of system is introduced into the game.

KI would also have to implement another parental control button to children accounts to prevent their child from being scammed.

This game was designed with children 10+ in mind. Children that age are not equipped to handle any sort of transaction of the kind you are suggesting. Plus, those kinds of transactions should be taught by the parent and NOT in a game.
You do realize that concepts like this are being taught in our everyday media right?

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Drapelape on Dec 12, 2019 wrote:
You do realize that concepts like this are being taught in our everyday media right?
Even so, parents and grandparents still have the right and in fact, the obligation, to monitor what their children see and use. Mine are not turned loose to make any transaction that I don't have total control of when online. That is not likely to change for many years to come since my grandsons are minors.

The one thing I don't understand is WHY so many are trying to get KI to make W101 like every other online game???? Many of us play this game because it isn't every other online game. It was one of the most unique games when it first came out and since then, too many are pushing to make it like something else. I will continue to disagree with additional ingame transactions because so many kids are too easy to scam.

This is not WoW, Eve online or any other adult based game. This is a game for ALL ages and to keep it as such, there are some systems that should NOT be implemented.

Survivor
Jun 11, 2017
Unfortunately, I have to disagree. As much as it pains me to have two amulets that my fiance wants, or reagents he needs, etc. etc. the cons far outweigh the pros of allowing me the privilege of trading my items with other people. I've been scammed before, when I was young and naive and believed everyone in the world were honest, people. Unfortunately they are not.

Allowing non-TC items to be traded would just allow people to get scammed far too often on Wizard. I can assure you that there would be mass emails to KI of parents demanding to get their children's items back willy-nilly (both false and real scams) and it would just be a giant mess. I'm not willing to risk the happiness and emotional health of thousands of kids just so I have a personal convenience. Instead, I help others farm and grind for special items and show them tips for farming reagents and other special items.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2018
DragonLady1818 on Dec 13, 2019 wrote:
Even so, parents and grandparents still have the right and in fact, the obligation, to monitor what their children see and use. Mine are not turned loose to make any transaction that I don't have total control of when online. That is not likely to change for many years to come since my grandsons are minors.

The one thing I don't understand is WHY so many are trying to get KI to make W101 like every other online game???? Many of us play this game because it isn't every other online game. It was one of the most unique games when it first came out and since then, too many are pushing to make it like something else. I will continue to disagree with additional ingame transactions because so many kids are too easy to scam.

This is not WoW, Eve online or any other adult based game. This is a game for ALL ages and to keep it as such, there are some systems that should NOT be implemented.
I understand where you are coming from in that there is a need for parents to monitor what their children are being exposed to, especially in a day an age when access to a wide array of terrible or disgusting things can be accessed at the click of a button on the internet.

But with this said, what i am suggesting isn't the loose transaction of ANYTHING (like crown items, pets, waterworks gear, darkmoor gear ect.) persay - it would be the transaction of remedial items like gear from mob drops, seeds, reagents, maybe even gold IN THE SAME WAY treasure cards are traded between players. In this situation scamming wouldnt be much of an issue because there would be a formal barter system that doesnt trade the aforementioned premium or rare items.

I find that this system would be easier to regulate (seeing as to how kingsisle loves to regulate chat among other things) and safer over all, especially when considering that there exists an underground community of people who trade via selling desired items (in 95% of these cases they are reagents) to the bazaar in return for treasure cards as a common currency. to then have the buyer purchase said item as fast as possible risking not only SCAMS but a monetary loss on both ends because the bazaar is full of people waiting for these kinds of transactions to take place. If there where a formal trading system for common items and reagents alike SCAMS and mutual loses wouldnt take place, which is why i feel that there is a dire need for such a system. (being some one who has been scammed and has lost a ton of things on the bazaar)

Now as for your second paragraph, one thing you have to understand is the fact that Wizard101 employs many systems present in MMO's. Jewel making and sockets (world of Warcraft) critical attacks (a novel concept present in many mmo's) fishing (world of Warcraft, elder scrolls online) leveling elixir ( level boosting in world of Warcraft) Now with this said, yes wizard101 is one of a kind, there aren't any mmo's out there that can take the game play of a TCG and successfully make it into an mmo that has been around for more than ten years. With this said, the game is incredibly dated and flawed with regards to certain things. (i wont even mention the atrocious issues with the text chat, the VERY out of date pay-to-play model, the graphics of pre-celestia worlds, KI's unapologetic willingness to allow unfair boosting in rank in pvp, among other things) People look to other mmo's to solve or even enhance these issues because other popular mmo's of which are more monetarily successful have come to find that these systems work.

Survivor
Jul 06, 2018
isolato on Dec 14, 2019 wrote:
Unfortunately, I have to disagree. As much as it pains me to have two amulets that my fiance wants, or reagents he needs, etc. etc. the cons far outweigh the pros of allowing me the privilege of trading my items with other people. I've been scammed before, when I was young and naive and believed everyone in the world were honest, people. Unfortunately they are not.

Allowing non-TC items to be traded would just allow people to get scammed far too often on Wizard. I can assure you that there would be mass emails to KI of parents demanding to get their children's items back willy-nilly (both false and real scams) and it would just be a giant mess. I'm not willing to risk the happiness and emotional health of thousands of kids just so I have a personal convenience. Instead, I help others farm and grind for special items and show them tips for farming reagents and other special items.
im not suggesting that ALL items should be trade-able im saying that remedial items (like common mob drops, reagents, housing items, common seeds, temp mounts, ect) should be tradeable.

Rare items (like Water works gear, tartarus gear, items bought in crown store or items that can be bought with crowns but are dropped by mobs) would be restricted similar to how said items are not actionable at the bazaar.

and also, that is a very common occurrence with the copious amounts of children who accidentally sell their bundle mounts, raid gear, etc. without knowing it (i say this as some one who accidentally sold my massive fantasy palace as a child not realizing that id have to ask my mom and dad for 40 more dollars to get the bundle again)