Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Spell Feedback from November Update

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 21, 2012
I was told to provide feedback to the November update here:

Hello Kings Isle. (And Spark

Thank you for the GREAT game!!!

And, thank you for the changes to PVP, and encouraging feedback so you can determine if additional tweaks will be needed.

But, let me start by providing you with useless information – I’ve been a player on Wizard101 since 2008 and a paying customer since 2009 – the kids and I (well they are no longer kids) are still paying customers.

Here is your feedback on the PVP changes.

Loremaster change: You hit the target. Kings Isle gets an “A”.

As stated on the update, Loremaster is slightly above value for a 4-pip spell and retains it’s numerical advantages. If Loremaster was introduced with these new values years ago, you would have receive very few complaints. Ninja Piglets fill the damage void, and though it’s numerical damage is high for a balance spell (compared to Krampus and Brimstone, which are Fire spells), Balance retains their high damage 4-pip spell.

All of a sudden, Krampus is slotted closer to where it should be!!

Guardian Spirit change: I think you can do better. Perhaps, a one time use instead of total ban. Kings Isle gets a “C” for now. Let’s see the final change.

Burning Rampage change: Kings Isle gets an incomplete on this change.

Background: When burning rampage came out with the unique “skip a round then deal the damage” mechanic, from my perspective, it seemed this type of over time was a variation of the Myth double hit with Ramp adding a delay for the second hit. This is why I was very surprised that folks complained about Rampage, when Minotaur and Otrhrus have been doing this for years, and doing it better. Neither Minotaur or Orthrus skip a round for their second hit. They are a bang, BOOM spell in the same round.

The innovative change to the overtime mechanic made the Burning Rampage a poor man’s Myth spell, with an opponent having opportunity to deflect the damage – unlike the Myth spells. The argument from players about Ramp and not noting Myth double hits was baffling. With Ramp, there is an outside chance to defend the second hit. There is no round in between to deflect the second Myth hit.

Here is my Ramp feedback:

Either make Ramp the double hit like Myth and reduce secondary damage accordingly. Or, make Ramp similar to Frost Bite: A 5 pip spell with an initial hit and 3 overtimes.

The current configuration of Ramp makes the spell a strategic burden to be effective from first, and requires a very, very, special set up to make work from second - and that special set up would only work if the opponent doesn’t know how to defend against Ramp. Ramp has been somewhat disabled by this change.

Because Kings Isle seem to share spell mechanics throughout the schools (Life now has it’s own 4-pip fire meteor dressed up as a squirrel; Ice has the Death’s Deer Knight, and Myth’s double hit minotaur) I would vote for Ramp’s final configuration to be the double hit like Myth.

However, it would make more sense to make Ramp similar to Frost Bite, since both are 5-pips, and both have the same initial hit. The damage difference for the overtime seems to fit the gap that should be there for a “weak” school with a lot of health, compared to a “damage” school with significantly less health.

To summarize:

Be innovative and Make Ramp a double hit like Myth

Or do the right thing and Make Ramp Like FrostBite, and change Ramp to a 3-overtime spell on the second hit.

Thank you for allowing me to provide feedback.

jpg@01D59D4A.AF97F590'>

Administrator
dydx on Nov 19, 2019 wrote:

And, thank you for the changes to PVP, and encouraging feedback so you can determine if additional tweaks will be needed.

But, let me start by providing you with useless information – I’ve been a player on Wizard101 since 2008 and a paying customer since 2009 – the kids and I (well they are no longer kids) are still paying customers.

As stated on the update, Loremaster is slightly above value for a 4-pip spell and retains it’s numerical advantages. If Loremaster was introduced with these new values years ago, you would have receive very few complaints. Ninja Piglets fill the damage void, and though it’s numerical damage is high for a balance spell (compared to Krampus and Brimstone, which are Fire spells), Balance retains their high damage 4-pip spell.

Guardian Spirit change: I think you can do better. Perhaps, a one time use instead of total ban. Kings Isle gets a “C” for now. Let’s see the final change.

Background: When burning rampage came out with the unique “skip a round then deal the damage” mechanic, from my perspective, it seemed this type of over time was a variation of the Myth double hit with Ramp adding a delay for the second hit. This is why I was very surprised that folks complained about Rampage, when Minotaur and Otrhrus have been doing this for years, and doing it better. Neither Minotaur or Orthrus skip a round for their second hit. They are a bang, BOOM spell in the same round.

The innovative change to the overtime mechanic made the Burning Rampage a poor man’s Myth spell, with an opponent having opportunity to deflect the damage – unlike the Myth spells. The argument from players about Ramp and not noting Myth double hits was baffling. With Ramp, there is an outside chance to defend the second hit. There is no round in between to deflect the second Myth hit.

Either make Ramp the double hit like Myth and reduce secondary damage accordingly. Or, make Ramp similar to Frost Bite: A 5 pip spell with an initial hit and 3 overtimes.

The current configuration of Ramp makes the spell a strategic burden to be effective from first, and requires a very, very, special set up to make work from second - and that special set up would only work if the opponent doesn’t know how to defend against Ramp. Ramp has been somewhat disabled by this change.

Because Kings Isle seem to share spell mechanics throughout the schools (Life now has it’s own 4-pip fire meteor dressed up as a squirrel; Ice has the Death’s Deer Knight, and Myth’s double hit minotaur) I would vote for Ramp’s final configuration to be the double hit like Myth.

However, it would make more sense to make Ramp similar to Frost Bite, since both are 5-pips, and both have the same initial hit. The damage difference for the overtime seems to fit the gap that should be there for a “weak” school with a lot of health, compared to a “damage” school with significantly less health.

To summarize:

Or do the right thing and Make Ramp Like FrostBite, and change Ramp to a 3-overtime spell on the second hit.

jpg@01D59D4A.AF97F590'>
Thanks dydx for the feedback, and for being with the community since the beginning! I will pass these suggestions on to the team. A lot of this involves our designer Matt, so maybe I can get him or someone related in here to comment too.

Survivor
Dec 13, 2012
Mind if I pop in to add something?

Guardian spirit would be hard to make a one time use spell unless you force players to make a deck only using gear with 1 guardian spirit or limiting decks to only have 1 guardian spirit spell. what I would suggest is ban guardian spirit from decks all together if it's learnable idk if it is.

Another thing is I like the idea of the change but I would like to see it more like this (hypothetical don't actually use these numbers)

First hit: 200 dmg, turn after hit: 100 dmg DOT after second hit 200 dmg DOT after third hit: 300 dmg
but I would love to see pvp balanced out some day to have a perfect happy game for everyone that anyone can get into

Explorer
Mar 01, 2014
Just to clarify you mean single use only and 15% flat base no boosts or critical right? aka one time use per match not 1x like reshuffle right?

Delver
Mar 09, 2018

To summarize:

jpg@01D59D4A.AF97F590'>
Loremaster: I love your take on this just as much as I love KI's. Ninja Piglets is balanced because there is room for counterplay. With Lore, there wasn't, and I'm happy everyone loves this change because it allowed for balance wizards who lack skill to easily get warlord.

Guardian Spirit: I'm definitely happy it's out of the game, but yes a one time use mechanic would've been better. May have been hard to code but I'm happy with how it is now.

The thing about Rampage was that it did its initial hit, then waited a round, and then did the burst damage a round later which, during that round, people going first could've used a brim or fire beetle or a hit that breaks a shield and leaves a trap, which has no counterplay unlike Orthrus which all you have to do is just double shield in order to stop it. It should still, in my opinion, be a normal overtime. I do like the fact that now people can react to it but it's kinda wack that the effect didn't change

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009

To summarize:

jpg@01D59D4A.AF97F590'>
Nerfing Loremaster for PvP ONLY would have been fine, but it does not work well now in PvE. It WAS a good utility spell for Balance wizards in PvE but is virtually useless now.

As for GS, I have no problem with it since I don't use it anyway. A waste of pips.

Burning Rampage, Whether it is a DoT for 2 rounds or 3 doesn't matter either. It still does the damage, just takes an extra round.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2012

To summarize:

jpg@01D59D4A.AF97F590'>
I would like to mention you said "Ninga piglets fills the dmg gap" But that's not the case. Take a look at headless, or queen calypso wich both have about a 100-150 higher dmg. Not to mention That calypso dmg is boosted further by a self placing trap via spell? Ninja piglets is a little underpowered. You get about the same dmg and post-patch lore. It's a little underwhelming if it's to replace lore for a spell that deals dmg.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
JewelKI on Nov 20, 2019 wrote:
Loremaster: I love your take on this just as much as I love KI's. Ninja Piglets is balanced because there is room for counterplay. With Lore, there wasn't, and I'm happy everyone loves this change because it allowed for balance wizards who lack skill to easily get warlord.

Guardian Spirit: I'm definitely happy it's out of the game, but yes a one time use mechanic would've been better. May have been hard to code but I'm happy with how it is now.

The thing about Rampage was that it did its initial hit, then waited a round, and then did the burst damage a round later which, during that round, people going first could've used a brim or fire beetle or a hit that breaks a shield and leaves a trap, which has no counterplay unlike Orthrus which all you have to do is just double shield in order to stop it. It should still, in my opinion, be a normal overtime. I do like the fact that now people can react to it but it's kinda wack that the effect didn't change
I can see your point; however, when you look at the details, I think you may change your mind.

Consider these scenarios from the perspective of going first and going second:

The Myth double hit spells and Rampage both operate about the same way going from first or second:

From First, the Myth player would not release a double hit spell if they see two (2) Shields. From first, they would Cast the double hit spell only if there is none or one shield up. Either way, the second hit does full damage.

From First, Ramp is almost unstoppable. The opponent going second can get very, very lucky and guess with a triage, IF a second fire over time is not released. Or they can shield, and the Fire Fizzles. However, that doesn't happen too often, and the burst damage is a full hit.

Going Second, the Myth's opponent may have one shield up and can bring up a second shield before the Myth releases the double hit. The double hit is neutralized. Or, the myth can hit with the opponent having no shields up from (going) second and will do full damage on the second hit. . There is no time for the opponent going first to shield the second hit.

Going Second with Ramp is a gamble. Players going first can do a few things: They can triage Ramp or shift if a second overtime was not cast by a minion. They have opportunity to do something to mitigate the damage from the second hit.

Just my thoughts.

Survivor
Jun 22, 2009
Sparck on Nov 19, 2019 wrote:
Thanks dydx for the feedback, and for being with the community since the beginning! I will pass these suggestions on to the team. A lot of this involves our designer Matt, so maybe I can get him or someone related in here to comment too.
Winston Churchill once said: Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; it's also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Thank you for listening and forwarding to the right folks, Sparck.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
"Ninja Piglets fill the damage void "
Sure, if you can get the spell.