Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

[Help Me!] Deciding What School to Enroll Into

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 19, 2019
I was interested in playing this game because of the way combat works. I'm a big fan if CCGs and I like the "join in" nature of encounters. I've played a few wizards through unicorn way and firecat alley, but for the most part, I can't spot the difference.

On Balance, the beetle is brown, on ice it is blue. That's all I see really. The one school that did stick out was Myth, because it had minions. I've tried to go to youtube and see what was there, but it's all centered around the "best" school. The school could be 110% better than everything else, if I hate the playstyle, I'll hate the game.

I'm trying to get an idea of how each school plays, and I'm having a hard time getting there. Is there anyone that might be able to help me?

Administrator
Breidr on Sep 23, 2019 wrote:
I was interested in playing this game because of the way combat works. I'm a big fan if CCGs and I like the "join in" nature of encounters. I've played a few wizards through unicorn way and firecat alley, but for the most part, I can't spot the difference.

On Balance, the beetle is brown, on ice it is blue. That's all I see really. The one school that did stick out was Myth, because it had minions. I've tried to go to youtube and see what was there, but it's all centered around the "best" school. The school could be 110% better than everything else, if I hate the playstyle, I'll hate the game.

I'm trying to get an idea of how each school plays, and I'm having a hard time getting there. Is there anyone that might be able to help me?
Greetings and salutations, welcome Breidr to the community forums!

There's a lot of useful tips and tricks the community can offer here I'm sure, I'll let them respond :).

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Breidr on Sep 23, 2019 wrote:

Hello, Breidr! I'll be happy to do as Sparck said.

Ice is a defensive school. It focuses on taking lots of damage and still being able to fight. Ice school wizards have the highest health in the game and access to defensive magic, but not much in the way of damage.

Fire is a school of damage over time. Fire school wizards have access to spells that can do damage over a number of rounds. Think of Fire Elf, which continues to do damage even after you cast it. Fire wizards have decent health and damage.

Storm is a powerful school that focuses of damage. Storm school wizards are what could be referred to as "glass cannons." They can do incredible damage right from the start of the game, but their health is incredibly poor. If you play as this school, watch out for your HP!

Life is a school of healing. Wizards in the school of Life have access to incredible healing magic, being able to restore wounded teammates and bring them back into the battle! Life wizards have decent health, but little in the way of damage spells.

Death school wizards focus on stealing the health of their enemies and taking it for themselves. They can steal health with spells like Ghoul, and convert half of it into their own HP. Death wizards have middle-level damage and lower then average health.

Myth is a school that channels legends into life. Myth school wizards can summon minions to help them in battle, and do a fair amount of damage too. They have moderate health and stats.

The Balance School take a little bit of everything from all the other schools. Balance school Wizards have average stats in just about everything, health, damage, defense, everything!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome To The Game & Welcome To The Message Boards!

First off, you made the ideal choice in coming here to voice your concerns.

As Sparck mentioned, the boards are beaming with useful and experienced players willing to assist anyone they can.

So, each school differs greatly, the enrollment test kinda helps you to decipher which one may suit your personality best. But in short, allow me to offer a brief summary of each of the seven major schools we currently have at Ravenwood.

I'll start elementals first.

- This school focuses heavily on offense. It takes a very aggressive and risky playstyle, one that is more for those "impatient" persons out there as Diviners are good at ending battles quickly due to the raw power of their spells and offensive stats. It must be noted though that the school suffers greatly in defensive stats such as Health (has the lowest of all schools) and resistances.

- Fire takes a similar playstyle to Storm. It differs in that the school has a bit more health, resistances and accuracy than Storm. Accuracy is something that one doesn't have to worry about for too long though. Quite a few of your spells involve damaging the enemy over a period of 2-3 rounds (Fire Elf is an example). Fire takes a more balanced playstyle compared to Storm but is right up there in terms of offensive power.

- Ice is the most defensive of all schools. This school has the highest defensive stats in exchange for power. The school's spells are among the weakest. But never fear, the school does see drastic changes in the higher levels. Ice is usually for persons who are patient as battles can be a bit longer than some but it doesn't mean you won't get the job done though; eventually!

Those are the elemental schools.

They each differ as they each have their own main purpose.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Now, on to the Spiritual Schools.

- As the name suggests, Life is a school that focuses mainly on healing oneself and healing others. The school prides itself with this aspect. The school even has the ability to revive persons after they are defeated. With the highest accuracy, you won't have to worry too much about fizzling, but the attack power of the school isn't the highest. It's definitely one of the more calmer and relaxing schools to play and use.

- Death is one of the more creepier schools. If you're not a fan of haunted, spooky etc. things, then this probably isn't the school for you. The school's unique power comes in the forms of some of it's spells. They have the ability to convert half of the damage done and reward the caster in the form of HP (Ghoul is a perfect example of this). You won't fizzle a lot and it's definitely one of the more enjoyable schools to use, easier too.

- You mentioned that you noticed that myth specializes in minions. Well, just to point out, all schools at some point will have the ability to summon minions, not just myth. If you practice monstrology, then you can provide yourself a bit more options. Thing is, Myth gets the most minions, but that isn't the only usage of the school. Myth also has the ability to stun foes (like fire, storm & ice), but Myth does it the best. The school also has a few double hit spells such as Minotaur. Spells like these are ideal for breaking shields. They can defend themselves adequately as well and have one of the more higher accuracy in the game, not as much as death though.

- Balance is one of the more complicated schools to use. The school specializes in group/team-play. So if you're questing with friends, you can be a great help in the form of blading, providing traps or even healing. Sorcerers can also handle themselves extremely well solo too.
Again, this school isn't for the rash or the impatient. Battles can be a bit on the longer side at times too and you're given unique spells that may take a while to effectively master. This school is among the best at defending itself. High health and high resistances.

So, that's all seven schools.

You will probably have to play them on your own to see which one(s) really cater to your playstyle.

Quite a few of us wizards here have all schools within high levels, but that doesn't mean we don't have our favorites.

Post if you've anymore queries.

Good Luck & Welcome Again!

Survivor
Jun 07, 2012
I don't usually post on here, but i thought i say a couple of things.

I main two wizards mostly, my life, and my death wizards. My first ever run in Wizard101 was with my life wizard. A mostly good note to make, is that yea our attacks aren't the best, but if you blade and trap up, you'll have no problem. Plus, in the beginning worlds, you'll rarely have life based enemies. which makes the game so much easier to solo because mostly all the bosses are death. If you're looking for a easier start, and to solo mostly, then a life wizard is your best bet.

Man i wish i can say the same for my death wizard, because of the excessive amount of death bosses in the beginning worlds, playing a death wiz, felt like replaying the game but on hard mood. All life based enemies, always gave me problems. Even with the boost, they -80% death shield themselves almost every round. doesn't help that you don't get aoe spell until lvl 48. My mercy while playing this game has legit just spam vampire, and hope for the best.

Sadly i'm still working on maxing my death wizard still, but i will get it done. Every wizard has it's pros and cons, from what i gathered, if you want an easier start, Pick Life, Myth, or Balance. If ya like to struggle, or even have friends to help, play Death, Ice, Fire, or Storm.

Survivor
Aug 08, 2010
Here's a list of a few cons to each school to help provide some perspective:

Life:
No AoE attacks until lvl 58
Low damage

Death:
No AoE until lvl 48
Several utility cards are "double-edged swords" and can backfire against you

Myth:
High level myth bosses can be tricky when your best attack is Minotaur/Orthrus (need to find two prisms to get all damage through).

Balance:
There is no "Balance Prism" spell, so a decent portion of your cardpool will always take a steep hit against balance bosses.

Ice:
Low damage and accuracy
takes the longest to get your "Blade" charm

Fire
Low accuracy
DoT spells don't work well against Fire bosses

Storm
Lowest accuracy and health
Several "chance-based" spells can backfire or have little yield

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Defender
Aug 16, 2014
Hello! I'll give you some gameplay cons I've had and also what school(s) I would choose.
Cons Pros
Doing tons of damage is a little hard at first It's easy to solo

It's super hard to solo at first. Every one likes having a protector around

It's hard to stay alive You do TONS of damage

No hit all for a long time Healer

It's hard until about Mooshu(4th World) You can heal yourself

(I haven't played Myth) (still haven't played myth)

Doing enough damage at first You're a great support

I would choose Fire, Death, or Balance.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
You know, some schools fit the personality of the people who play them. Try taking the Book of Secrets test when you start, and see if you like what comes out of it.