Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How does pierce work?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
I'm aware that pierce negates resistances, but how does it work through shields? For example a storm wizard with 50% pierce vs an ice with 65% resistance, when using a -50% tower shield is pierce being applied twice? To the tower shield first then resistance? Does anyone have an idea on how it really works?

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
angellifeheart on Sep 1, 2019 wrote:
I'm aware that pierce negates resistances, but how does it work through shields? For example a storm wizard with 50% pierce vs an ice with 65% resistance, when using a -50% tower shield is pierce being applied twice? To the tower shield first then resistance? Does anyone have an idea on how it really works?
Shield takes priority of the pierce

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Rachel Dreamsong on Sep 4, 2019 wrote:
Shield takes priority of the pierce
Yes, i keep hearing the same thing however, id like to have more of an in dept knowledge about it because statistically everything still feels wonky. For example an ice who shrikes with original 30 pierce will get a bonus of 50% extra which adds up to 80%. So a set shield would initially block 10% of the damage but then your resistance comes into play right after with 50%+ why does it still feel like damage just by bass resistance as well? so id like a good explanation how pierce really works and if its applied twice one with the shield and normal built in resist.

The way it works out in my mind for example in shrike ice gets 115% outgoing boost on damage spells of base stats right? weaver enchanted does 1450 so times their base stats would add up to 3118 or somewhere around there. A set shield would initially block 10% of that which would make it to 2806 but then ur -50% resistance which am assuming is a representation of a tower shield should reduce it further more in half which would make it out to 1400 damage. However this isn't the case i did a test around it and still ended up doing 2000 damage with my ice on a 50% resist with a set shield without critical which is what sort of baffles me

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
angellifeheart on Sep 9, 2019 wrote:
Yes, i keep hearing the same thing however, id like to have more of an in dept knowledge about it because statistically everything still feels wonky. For example an ice who shrikes with original 30 pierce will get a bonus of 50% extra which adds up to 80%. So a set shield would initially block 10% of the damage but then your resistance comes into play right after with 50%+ why does it still feel like damage just by bass resistance as well? so id like a good explanation how pierce really works and if its applied twice one with the shield and normal built in resist.

The way it works out in my mind for example in shrike ice gets 115% outgoing boost on damage spells of base stats right? weaver enchanted does 1450 so times their base stats would add up to 3118 or somewhere around there. A set shield would initially block 10% of that which would make it to 2806 but then ur -50% resistance which am assuming is a representation of a tower shield should reduce it further more in half which would make it out to 1400 damage. However this isn't the case i did a test around it and still ended up doing 2000 damage with my ice on a 50% resist with a set shield without critical which is what sort of baffles me
Take the Pierce % and subtract it from the Resistance %.

If your opponent placed a 50% tower shield on themselves and you had 50% (or more) pierce, the opponent’s shield would do 0% resistance.

Take care.

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Blaze03554 on Sep 16, 2019 wrote:
Take the Pierce % and subtract it from the Resistance %.

If your opponent placed a 50% tower shield on themselves and you had 50% (or more) pierce, the opponent’s shield would do 0% resistance.

Take care.
Yah i agree but i still feel the pierce vs shield resistance scenario is not very accurate hence damage is being applied more than whats considered the appropriate value.