Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mega Pet #1

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 10, 2019
Hi community, I have been playing wizard 101 for years but this is a first for me in two senses.
1. This is my first community post.
2. It's about my first mega pet.

So today I leveled up my first pet to mega after months of daily pet games and breeding. I have a sixth generation furious krokomummy. I selectively bred this pet in the hatch making kiosk. I have a basic understanding of genetics and how they relate to pet hatching. So far everything I have done has matched my expectations, except for this.
Here are my pets talents:
baby: maycast weakness
Adult: maycast steal ward
Ancient: Storm Striker
Epic: maycast unicorn
mega: Death Striker?

I have only bred my krokomummies with storm pets whose dominant traits I could see and desire. The likelyhood of receiving a recessive death talent on a purely storm pet at mega must be astronomically low, and I can't help but feel robbed. Any suggestions?

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I've been there; I've hatched and leveled several pets to mega just to fail the final talent. Getting a recessive talent seems like a coin flip for the most part, but I'd just recommend starting over. I'm not to versed in the nuances in hatching, but after awhile you can tell a pet will fail early on. For example if a pet max pool of intelligence is higher than normal when hatching for a critical pet, the pet will likely fail as the other areas won't maximize critical points. Usually the best indicator a pet will do well is by adult and ancient; if the talents you really want on the pet have been gained you just cross your fingers and pray it doesn't fail. I'm sure someone else can give a more detailed explanation, but my advice is to persevere, especially for the really OP pets and not to overextend into a pet you feel will fail.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Alex StarHunter on Jul 17, 2019 wrote:
Hi community, I have been playing wizard 101 for years but this is a first for me in two senses.
1. This is my first community post.
2. It's about my first mega pet.

So today I leveled up my first pet to mega after months of daily pet games and breeding. I have a sixth generation furious krokomummy. I selectively bred this pet in the hatch making kiosk. I have a basic understanding of genetics and how they relate to pet hatching. So far everything I have done has matched my expectations, except for this.
Here are my pets talents:
baby: maycast weakness
Adult: maycast steal ward
Ancient: Storm Striker
Epic: maycast unicorn
mega: Death Striker?

I have only bred my krokomummies with storm pets whose dominant traits I could see and desire. The likelyhood of receiving a recessive death talent on a purely storm pet at mega must be astronomically low, and I can't help but feel robbed. Any suggestions?
Sadly this is not 'astronomically low' by any means.

I think you've maybe misunderstood the process a little. We have to hatch repeatedly with THE SAME pet, only changing out our own each hatch.

We have 10 talents on each pet, so 20 possibles for a baby we make. The manifested talents are more likely to pass to the baby but some of the unmanifested ones will too.

If we change the pet we're hatching against each time we have no control over the undesired unmanifested talents - we're adding things into our possibilities each time.

We have 20 possible talents first hatch but hatching against a different pet just introduced a bunch of talents we might not want and the possibles are 25-30 talents for the baby.

By hatching against the same pet each time we start with 20 possible talents and every time one of ours is replaced by theirs we reduce the number until we eventually have the exact same 10 talents as they do. Each hatch brings us a step closer to making a copy. Of course, they may have a bunch of bad talents we can't see, but even on great pets if we mix and match what we hatch against they will have different hidden talents.

If you'd like help making a pet I am happy to help in any way I can. Let me know what you want as an end result and I will happily help you with a plan and look at pets in the kiosk for you, check your pets along the way if you want...and if I have a pet you'd like, I am happy to help you make a perfect copy