Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is Wizard101 Magical Enough?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Nov 25, 2012
I feel like the game changed allot since the first Arc of Dagonspyre.
The game lost some of it's magic. The worlds look different now, all the equiptment you can earn and buy now is different, the spells are different too, like much of other things in the game.
I feel like the game became a place where you can just buy cool stuff and pass worlds for different levels.
I'm saying that next arc we should get a more interesting magical story about the spiral. I expect KI to bring the magic that used to be in the game back.

What do you think?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
I only ask one thing: Why did Kingsisle stop having characters call our Wizard by name? It had a sense of... recognition. It's the main thing that I miss about the first arc.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Star Gator on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:
The game lost some of it's magic. The worlds look different now, all the equiptment you can earn and buy now is different, the spells are different too, like much of other things in the game.
I feel like the game became a place where you can just buy cool stuff and pass worlds for different levels.
I'm saying that next arc we should get a more interesting magical story about the spiral. I expect KI to bring the magic that used to be in the game back.

What do you think?
I think I don't know what you mean

I feel like the Spiral is full of magic and wonder from the start right through...

What do you suggest to make it feel more magical to you?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
What I see here is the game growing and evolving rather than staying stagnant.

I don't believe there is a problem with such a change. Also, if you've noticed, the game has been growing and maturing on a pace that isn't too fast that players can't keep up; but rather, players are able to grow along with the game.

The "magic" is still there.

It's just that the same "magic" that you will find within the first couple worlds will not be the same you find as you progress.

It doesn't make much sense that you are 70 levels into the game and still feel like you're at level 10.

While this change or evolution may have some feeling left out or uncomfortable, the game has tried its best to cater to both sides of the aisle.

Such as having two different modes when it comes on to the graphics for example.

Survivor
May 04, 2015
There has definitively been some magic lost after the adventures of arc 1.

Really, not saying anything bad about the last few story arcs, they were great at best, confusing at some parts. There was a few times I said, maybe this could've been improved, but never have I said something was really legitimately bad. I feel the effort was there, but the story has changed a lot. We have gone through various worlds and the story has changed a lot since the first defeat of Malastare at Dragonspyre. I feel the ideas have really put the development in sort of a limited place. Because we have worlds that are limited to a certain event or place, it really puts the cycle of ideas in sort of a sorting machine, that only some can work in this place. Of course the first arc of worlds was limited to a few places, like ancient Asia for Mooshu, or Ancient Egypt for Krokotopia, but these ideas had some charge and already existing ideas that felt magical, like the idea of Ancient Egypt being a place of stored magical wonder, with pharas of everlasting power, or the fires of the desert. Really, I have tried to think of some kind of magical worlds that could go along with Wizard101's story, but it's hard to do with a lot that has already been tried, especially when we have a lot of worlds that focus on old events.

Really I think it comes down to limited ideas, and some sort of burnout. Of course over time the worlds are going to have a few bumps, but really, I don't think that is much to worry about. If Kingsisle can put their mind to it, i'm sure we'll get a magical arc 4.
If I were to suggest a new magical world, I would probably think of some kind of mysterious old structure, like a castle, that holds information of old and powerful magic, like a giant library. It could hold the history of some the previous events like the firsthand documents of the destruction of the firstworld, or maybe even who the Cabal is. This could let the ideas spiral into something new and exciting, having an environment that actively encourages for there to be magic in a place. Really, development could just go wild with the most amazing ideas, since there is no limit to what can be imagined in a old type castle that is supposed to be magical. We would have to stick with the story, but really, it comes down to the ideas, and since there is no technical limit to magic. We could have a wonderful start to a world, but that's just my opinion.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
Star Gator on Apr 18, 2019 wrote:

What do you think?
I think the Empyrea story was really good and had magical big stakes. I certainly didn't know Mellori was going to be so important and really enjoyed the moral ambiguity with Raven and Spider and their twist ending romantic backstory took me pleasantly by surprise.