Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Need For Hall Monitors In The Commons!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 05, 2010
yeah the commons have really gotten out of control! i have to go to a perfect realm every time before i go to wizard city because of it. it really stinks

Survivor
Aug 15, 2012
Captain Clown on Apr 9, 2019 wrote:
It got a bit worse than just sex the other night. Someone was in the Commons declaring that slavery was 'good' and trying to convince others that it would be profitable to do offline. I found myself temporarily muted after reporting them, for what reason I do not know.
THAT IS SO STUPID! i have no idea how this reporting thing works, but it stinks, you people can't just let everyone do what ever they want KI please fix this mess.

Survivor
Aug 08, 2010
I agree that it's not fair that a relative handful of people are creating such an unpleasant environment, but what is KI supposed to do? There's no realistic way to keep those people out of the Commons short of having a bunch of people constantly monitoring the area which just isn't viable. Just don't feed the trolls and they'll get bored. If someone tries to single you out report them, use "ignore", and jump to another realm. And remember that most of the trolls only have the guts to shoot their mouths off when they can hide behind a screen name. They're just not worth getting worked up over.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
I agree with the poster who said that some sensible strategies to would be:

(1) Report bad behavior
(2) Select the player and ignore him/her
(3) Change realms
(4) Change settings on the Wizard101 website to filter out words

As pointed out in an earlier post, some toxic players take a couple of different shapes: Some will take advantage of creating a new wizard for free in order to continually abuse other players whilst avoiding filters and penalties. On the other hand, there is another type of toxic player. This is the person who will abuse the 'Report' button simply out of spite, pettiness, or where an offense is simply not warranted. These players are equally obnoxious. So, overall, I am glad that we have these features so that we can do the best that we can to evade these types of players. I'm equally pleased that KI takes the time to weed through all the information to find an appropriate consequence instead of simply taking action to punish another player just because there is a complaint.

This is not to say that the "Report" button should be avoided when someone is truly behaving badly, but that we are given multiple options to utilize while the case is being reviewed.

Reporting makes it safe for everyone, but it's also important to consider the safety of yourself and your kids while playing, so referring to these steps above is a good place to start.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
that charming roug... on Sep 17, 2019 wrote:
I agree that it's not fair that a relative handful of people are creating such an unpleasant environment, but what is KI supposed to do? There's no realistic way to keep those people out of the Commons short of having a bunch of people constantly monitoring the area which just isn't viable. Just don't feed the trolls and they'll get bored. If someone tries to single you out report them, use "ignore", and jump to another realm. And remember that most of the trolls only have the guts to shoot their mouths off when they can hide behind a screen name. They're just not worth getting worked up over.
"There's no realistic way to keep those people out of the Commons short of having a bunch of people constantly monitoring the area which just isn't viable."

7 years ago, that is exactly what was done until KI created "Hall Monitors"..... There were groups of players that were created on Wizard101 Central. These groups would divide their time in monitoring and playing. There were some in the Commons and others in the Dye shop of "Wu" since it was the most populated with this type of behavior. Those players within the groups were also held to a standard and if any were caught at any time abusing the ToU, they were also reported and banned from their group.

After the "Hall Monitors" were created, all groups that had been trying to help keep the game clean were informed that our help was no longer needed. Occasionally, we would see a small notice on the screen if a Hall Monitor tagged someone in the same realm we were in. I haven't seen that happen in a very long time, but I don't travel in "Wu" anymore.

I have since been running in one of the middle realms that are virtually empty. Even when I do go through the Commons there are never more than a couple of players there.

I don't really think KI wants us to reform those groups to help clean up the game again, but something really needs to be done.

Outside of any Bots that KI may have set in the system, it does no good unless multiple players report the same offender, especially on weekends.

@Sparck, I am not completely surprised to see this issue raise it's ugly head again, but apparently it is growing. Maybe it is time for some sort of notice on screen again when a ''Hall Monitor" is actually giving a warning or has reported a player. At least this might reduce the type of comments made and put a few others at ease.

Survivor
Apr 05, 2014
Well I'm extremely pleased to report that since my original posting things have improved to a degree. They certainly have in Wu! There was some sort of massive crackdown, and a lot of the foulest trolls just vanished. I presume, and hope they were banned. In any case, they have not returned, and it seemed to put the fear of the Lord in the rest of them. They all moved! Unfortunately to Ambrose, probably seeking safety in numbers. I seen in a earlier post, someone talking about a "help" realm. I've been told that was the original intent for Wu, and it once was that way. Would be nice to see that again. However now at least Wu is quiet, and populated mostly by long time adult players. It's no longer toxic in any case. So I'd like to say "Well Done!" thank you at K I for your efforts! One additional suggestion I'd like to make. If a player quits or is banned, it would be nice if they disappeared from everywhere in the game. My ignore list runs to a dozen pages, and I'd bet a lot of those trolls are history, but I'm sure not taking them off ignore to find out!