Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dominant pets really exist?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 01, 2018
I'll explain myself. There is a rumour out there that, when hatching, there are some "dominant" pets who will always appear as descendants. I've been hatching with a macaw and a kookaburra to get the latter for about 15 times now. Every single time I got a Macaw. Is there something I'm not taking into account or am I just having bad luck and should keep on hatching till I get it? I used to think those beliefs were just superstitions based on people's bad luck and quick judgment but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
lulillo on Mar 26, 2019 wrote:
I'll explain myself. There is a rumour out there that, when hatching, there are some "dominant" pets who will always appear as descendants. I've been hatching with a macaw and a kookaburra to get the latter for about 15 times now. Every single time I got a Macaw. Is there something I'm not taking into account or am I just having bad luck and should keep on hatching till I get it? I used to think those beliefs were just superstitions based on people's bad luck and quick judgment but now I'm not so sure.

Thanks
I think what you may have heard about is a former technique used known as 'forced hatching'. It no longer works but when school pets could only be obtained by wizards of that school it was possible to pass the stats and pool to any non-school pet from it providing the wizard hatching with it was not the same school as the pet.

EG The Kraken pet used to be storm school only - meaning only a storm wizard could obtain it from a hatch and only a storm wizard could equip it.

The school only pets are still only able to be equipped by the corresponding school wizard, but they can now be obtained through hatching for the purposes of pet collecting.

Previously I could make a school only pet with perfect stats and talent pools then anyone off-school who hatched with me could guarantee their own pet's body type (appearance) back from the hatch. Their stats and pool would change but they would always get their own pet type back.

It was very handy tbh and it's sad to see that method go...I'm sure the preferred solution would have been a 7th wizard slot...hint hint KI

I hope this helps clarify it, if I am misunderstanding your question feel free to post back and I'll try again!

Survivor
Jul 01, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Mar 27, 2019 wrote:
I think what you may have heard about is a former technique used known as 'forced hatching'. It no longer works but when school pets could only be obtained by wizards of that school it was possible to pass the stats and pool to any non-school pet from it providing the wizard hatching with it was not the same school as the pet.

EG The Kraken pet used to be storm school only - meaning only a storm wizard could obtain it from a hatch and only a storm wizard could equip it.

The school only pets are still only able to be equipped by the corresponding school wizard, but they can now be obtained through hatching for the purposes of pet collecting.

Previously I could make a school only pet with perfect stats and talent pools then anyone off-school who hatched with me could guarantee their own pet's body type (appearance) back from the hatch. Their stats and pool would change but they would always get their own pet type back.

It was very handy tbh and it's sad to see that method go...I'm sure the preferred solution would have been a 7th wizard slot...hint hint KI

I hope this helps clarify it, if I am misunderstanding your question feel free to post back and I'll try again!
that's it!! thank you so much!!

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Some pets are easier to get in hatches than others. It's luck which pet you get, but not always even odds.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
So far, every time I hatch with my Harpy, the other player always gets a Harpy. Great pet, but not very pretty.