Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Does Storm Lord Make Tempest Obsolete?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 23, 2019
So as the topic says I was wondering if Storm Lord makes Tempest obsolete. I'm asking this because from what I can see it does, for me anyway. Also people seem to treat Tempest as a god tier spell, while hardly mentioning Storm Lord.

What I mean is that to do slightly more damage than Storm Lord with Tempest you need 9 pips, and with the way I play it seems that Storm Lord will be preferable. My playstyle is to double blade and use a 4-7 Tempest on mobs and do the same with boss fights but follow up with a double bladed and maybe trapped single target spell to finish of the boss.

From strictly eyeballing the stats, as I'm only level 37 ATM, I'm predicting I'll replace Tempest with Storm Lord.

So am I right or am I missing something critical here?

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Notoriuser on Mar 10, 2019 wrote:
So as the topic says I was wondering if Storm Lord makes Tempest obsolete. I'm asking this because from what I can see it does, for me anyway. Also people seem to treat Tempest as a god tier spell, while hardly mentioning Storm Lord.

What I mean is that to do slightly more damage than Storm Lord with Tempest you need 9 pips, and with the way I play it seems that Storm Lord will be preferable. My playstyle is to double blade and use a 4-7 Tempest on mobs and do the same with boss fights but follow up with a double bladed and maybe trapped single target spell to finish of the boss.

From strictly eyeballing the stats, as I'm only level 37 ATM, I'm predicting I'll replace Tempest with Storm Lord.

So am I right or am I missing something critical here?
As a fellow Storm Wizard, I can tell you I've seen Tempest in play. If you have enough Attack and your best Sun School Damage enchantments (You'll learn them later), they can get fights done, easy. Very good on lower-world enemies to get a fight done.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Tempest is actually better, since you can use more pips and do more damage, I do not even carry storm lord

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I love when people post in more than 1 section, hoping to get different answers? Anyway, in case you missed it tempest is an X pip spell, which means you can cast it before you have pips for storm lord, or with more pips than you need for storm lord for even more damage.

So no, tempest will never be obsolete for a storm wizard

Survivor
Feb 23, 2019
Jasmine3429 on Mar 11, 2019 wrote:
I love when people post in more than 1 section, hoping to get different answers? Anyway, in case you missed it tempest is an X pip spell, which means you can cast it before you have pips for storm lord, or with more pips than you need for storm lord for even more damage.

What you've said hasn't changed my stance. I use my AoE to kill mobs and from what I see Storm Lord will make obsolete Tempest in this regard, unless there are mobs later on that would require me to use a 10+ tempest.

Edit by Mod: Removed argument

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Both spells are very useful.

Storm Lord does more damage per pip, so it's a better attack in terms of efficiency, and won't automatically wipe your pips. Stun is a handy after effect, though many bosses are immune.

Temp, being X pip, can be as big or small as you need it, and with sun enchantment, can do reasonable damage even on the first or second round. This makes it ideal when you want a quck, small aoe, or for cleanup if your big hit comes up short. Conversely, you can save up pips for a super big attack if needed.

I often use SL for my main attack, and keep a temp or two in hand for backup.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Tempest is a staple spell to all Diviners.

It's versatility makes it one of our go to spells within our arsenal.

Also, with the addition of spells such as Glowbug Squall then the usage of Storm Lord or even Triton has severely diminished.

I too don't carry any of the card.

I use Kraken or Bats instead of Triton or any other high pip spell as they are way more effective.

Iron Sultan is also extremely useful.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Jasmine3429 on Mar 11, 2019 wrote:

Hiya,

Just letting you know, the OP didn't post in 2 sections, he posted in New Wizard Welcome and KI moved it to Ravenwood Commons when it went through moderation...that's why it shows in both atm

The OP wasn't double posting to try to get different responses

Survivor
Feb 23, 2019
Star Edward on Mar 12, 2019 wrote:
Tempest is a staple spell to all Diviners.

It's versatility makes it one of our go to spells within our arsenal.

Also, with the addition of spells such as Glowbug Squall then the usage of Storm Lord or even Triton has severely diminished.

I too don't carry any of the card.

I use Kraken or Bats instead of Triton or any other high pip spell as they are way more effective.

Iron Sultan is also extremely useful.

I don't have most of those yet, but I've heard the squal spell is really good. I honestly don't even use kraken or bats anymore, I have six tempest, 3 tritons and some buffs.

Also I'd like to thank you for the earlier advice to stick with Storm. It's now my favorite school.

Survivor
Feb 23, 2019
Prince of Shadows on Mar 12, 2019 wrote:
Both spells are very useful.

Storm Lord does more damage per pip, so it's a better attack in terms of efficiency, and won't automatically wipe your pips. Stun is a handy after effect, though many bosses are immune.

Temp, being X pip, can be as big or small as you need it, and with sun enchantment, can do reasonable damage even on the first or second round. This makes it ideal when you want a quck, small aoe, or for cleanup if your big hit comes up short. Conversely, you can save up pips for a super big attack if needed.

I often use SL for my main attack, and keep a temp or two in hand for backup.
Yeah. This is probably what I'll end up doing.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Notoriuser on Mar 11, 2019 wrote:
What you've said hasn't changed my stance. I use my AoE to kill mobs and from what I see Storm Lord will make obsolete Tempest in this regard, unless there are mobs later on that would require me to use a 10+ tempest.

Edit by Mod: Removed argument
There will be mobs you can kill with a 2 pip tempest once you get more damage boosts.

I have 2 level 130 storms, storm lord is not even in any of my deck setups

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Notoriuser on Mar 12, 2019 wrote:
I don't have most of those yet, but I've heard the squal spell is really good. I honestly don't even use kraken or bats anymore, I have six tempest, 3 tritons and some buffs.

Also I'd like to thank you for the earlier advice to stick with Storm. It's now my favorite school.
That's great to hear!

It pleases me to see you now realizing how powerful and effective the school can be!

And, again, as you level, you see why I mentioned the spell setup above.

Let me know if any difficulty arises!

Explorer
Oct 01, 2011
The differences in the way people use these spells is quite interesting.

Personally I use both due to the levels of variance (rng) that each mob fight contains starting from wintertusk/celestia.

What I mean by that is in almost all fights there is a chance for a weakness or a shield to stop your hit from killing, often you may find you blade twice and use a storm lord only to have the mob tower shield that same turn so now one lives on 40% hp.
This is where having the tempest is so good, it can be used as a follow up hit at any point so you can adjust the hit to deal the exact amount of damage required.
On this note a weakness of storm is its lack of durability and while it may not seem like it, one turn spent passing for a storm lord can often mean that a mob criticals a hit on you and takes you out

In answer to the question, I would say YES storm lord does make tempest irrelevant as a mob killing hit BUT it becomes a follow or kill securing hit, the stun from storm lord combos amazingly well with tempest.(at 9 pips i would rather stormlord and have 4 pips for a tempest the next turn that just tempest and have none)

This strategy works well if you know your damage, and a strength of storm is that a lot of your hits have set base damages rather than a min/max damage, so you can learn exactly how much damage you deal with X number of pips or if that storm lord will kill

All strategies work better for some. I meet lots of other storms with different deck set ups but the most commonly agreed upon deck building advice is keep it small, find the smallest deck set up that works for you and lets you win even if you get shield spammed

Survivor
Nov 30, 2011
Both are good in their own way, storm lord offers stun and more damage for the pip. But, you can use tempest whenever you want because it is an X pip spell. Both are very powerful and better in different situations.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Stealthhawk129 on Mar 13, 2019 wrote:
The differences in the way people use these spells is quite interesting.

Personally I use both due to the levels of variance (rng) that each mob fight contains starting from wintertusk/celestia.

What I mean by that is in almost all fights there is a chance for a weakness or a shield to stop your hit from killing, often you may find you blade twice and use a storm lord only to have the mob tower shield that same turn so now one lives on 40% hp.
This is where having the tempest is so good, it can be used as a follow up hit at any point so you can adjust the hit to deal the exact amount of damage required.
On this note a weakness of storm is its lack of durability and while it may not seem like it, one turn spent passing for a storm lord can often mean that a mob criticals a hit on you and takes you out

In answer to the question, I would say YES storm lord does make tempest irrelevant as a mob killing hit BUT it becomes a follow or kill securing hit, the stun from storm lord combos amazingly well with tempest.(at 9 pips i would rather stormlord and have 4 pips for a tempest the next turn that just tempest and have none)

This strategy works well if you know your damage, and a strength of storm is that a lot of your hits have set base damages rather than a min/max damage, so you can learn exactly how much damage you deal with X number of pips or if that storm lord will kill

All strategies work better for some. I meet lots of other storms with different deck set ups but the most commonly agreed upon deck building advice is keep it small, find the smallest deck set up that works for you and lets you win even if you get shield spammed
Sorry, I have to disagree, tempest will never be obsolete and should be a staple in any storm deck setup, regardless of which hit you use first or last.

Explorer
Oct 01, 2011
Yes it is 100% and I personally always have at least one in, my point was that its main function shifts since it is better to hit twice with a stun than hit once and have no follow up if something (like a shield) were to get in the way

Survivor
Apr 24, 2011
Storm Lord will never make tempest obsolete. Tempest is used when you know you can kill but dont have enough pips for Storm Lord (it will save you a round). Or clean up after Storm Lord/Sirens, if there is still some health left. I always keep at least two in my deck.

Defender
Jul 26, 2013
I am a 130 storm and do not carry storm lord in my deck also. Tempest is my go to fast kill. If you are a strong storm, you don't even need a blade. If you are fighting a low level health minion or boss, just an enchant card and tempest on your first turn will kill. If you have to wait for storm Lord you will get hit over and over waiting for your pips, and hoping your blades will come up. The only time I use Storm Lord is in pvp games to stun the other team and do the most amount of damage I can. TEMPEST will never become obsolete!!