Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tips on using Ice Wizard please

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 05, 2015
So I have always complained to my friend about how I think the Ice School is really the worst* but recently I did some research and people are saying it is really good I now believe I just do not know how to use my Ice Wizard to its fullest potential. Can anyone help me on how to use it, please?

*Why I thought it was really bad at first (I know think that these reasons wouldn't matter if I actually used my wizard better)
- The attacks did less damage compared to my friend who had a life wizard I thought that should do more damage or the same as since has a lot of healing moves.
- Most spells have a 20% chance to fizzle. I believe this is a bit too high as doesn't really do much damage compared to other schools. It should be 10 - 15% chance to fizzle in my opinion.
- My life wizard friend is always dominating me in PvP as he has a lot of healing and his damage is better than mine. I am okay with losing but it would be nice to win sometimes.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Okay, let's debunk of couple of the myths and false assumptions persons may have that lines with your though.

PvP;
First off, along with are currently the most feared in PvP right now. Both these schools rank as the top tier with Ice having a slight edge. I can also testified to this because I had a much easier time using these schools to gain Warlord Status than on the contrary .

Strength;

You're slightly correct here. The spells has while leveling up (especially during the first arch) are weaker than that of the life school. However, this does not mean that the school is actually weak or weaker per say. Remember that Icetrap for example adds +30% damage compares to life's +25%.
Additionally, with our high defensive stats, we can afford to take more risks such as using spells like Berserk and Frenzy when readying an attack.

Accuracy;

Accuracy is a stat that can easily be adjusted within the game. Yes, the school's accuracy starts at a base of 80%. But through good gear, jewels (especially) and/or pet talents, you can easily get this stat to at least 100% by level 60. So, it's not entirely something huge to worry about.
I find that spells fizzle more than spells, even though they have the same accuracy.

Usage;

Ice unfortunately does not have its own version of a spell. Hence, to heal, the school has to borrow from . You can do this to assist with you defensive capabilities by training to satyr or opted for the usage of treasure cards.
What you must do though (and your friend) is to train to feint. This spell is extremely fundamental to ice and greatly assists in bridging that damage gap that the school suffers from in the earlier stages.

Just because is an elemental school means it is just like and . Ice may need a few more blades to do damage like what a can do, but the fact is, the school is still capable of doing high amounts of damage.

I also recommend using treasure cards such as Tough and Strong to enchant your cards making them more powerful before attacking.

Also, the school has a wide array of AoE spells,something that evidently suffers from. Use these spells to your advantage while adding an Ice and elemental blade before usage if necessary.
Many high levels still use spells such as Blizzard up to this day; don't shy away from it, especially when out numbered.

Post if you've anymore queries.

Trust me when I say, the school is one of the best.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2015
Star Edward on Feb 17, 2019 wrote:
Okay, let's debunk of couple of the myths and false assumptions persons may have that lines with your though.

PvP;
First off, along with are currently the most feared in PvP right now. Both these schools rank as the top tier with Ice having a slight edge. I can also testified to this because I had a much easier time using these schools to gain Warlord Status than on the contrary .

Strength;

You're slightly correct here. The spells has while leveling up (especially during the first arch) are weaker than that of the life school. However, this does not mean that the school is actually weak or weaker per say. Remember that Icetrap for example adds +30% damage compares to life's +25%.
Additionally, with our high defensive stats, we can afford to take more risks such as using spells like Berserk and Frenzy when readying an attack.

Accuracy;

Accuracy is a stat that can easily be adjusted within the game. Yes, the school's accuracy starts at a base of 80%. But through good gear, jewels (especially) and/or pet talents, you can easily get this stat to at least 100% by level 60. So, it's not entirely something huge to worry about.
I find that spells fizzle more than spells, even though they have the same accuracy.

Usage;

Ice unfortunately does not have its own version of a spell. Hence, to heal, the school has to borrow from . You can do this to assist with you defensive capabilities by training to satyr or opted for the usage of treasure cards.
What you must do though (and your friend) is to train to feint. This spell is extremely fundamental to ice and greatly assists in bridging that damage gap that the school suffers from in the earlier stages.

Just because is an elemental school means it is just like and . Ice may need a few more blades to do damage like what a can do, but the fact is, the school is still capable of doing high amounts of damage.

I also recommend using treasure cards such as Tough and Strong to enchant your cards making them more powerful before attacking.

Also, the school has a wide array of AoE spells,something that evidently suffers from. Use these spells to your advantage while adding an Ice and elemental blade before usage if necessary.
Many high levels still use spells such as Blizzard up to this day; don't shy away from it, especially when out numbered.

Post if you've anymore queries.

Trust me when I say, the school is one of the best.

Thanks so much

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I'm not a very technical player but I just have a generic tip.

Stock up on fire pets, fire treasure cards, fire wands, etc...

Then if you have an enemy in battle who is also Ice that will help a lot.

Ice is very hardy that's your strength is you can pace yourself. In a quick win battle maybe not as good but if you pace yourself -- well, Ice doesn't die as quickly as some other schools do.

Hero
Aug 18, 2011
Generally Ice is a great school if you have patience. Initially damage is lower than most others, but you have high health. Use that to advantage. While some schools have a "kill or be killed" dynamic, Ice can relax, stack up buffs, and do plenty of damage once the pips and boosts are there.

Since you are relying on buffs, and don't get a blade for quite a while, acquiring gear and pets with blades can be helpful (ice or universal) and you should train the Sun school damage enchantments as soon as you can (starting at level 50).

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Good point; I trained in Fire as a second school until then because it had a lot of low level nice hit spells and it was especially handy in fighting an ice enemy (who are usually as hardy as ice wizards are.)

That is good when in a battle in which you really just want to hit and be out of there, such as lower level battles or if you answer a team-up. Otherwise people can be like "hmm when are you going to help me, and hit." Tapping their fingers on the desk. So to speak.

Yes be sure to save or trade back some training points and train in Sun. That's when you get to Celestia pretty much. Sun has training cards that add a lot of damage.
Also try to get good wands and add good gems to them to make them stronger. I killed a lot of enemies just with wand hits!

If questing alone though I often like to take my time so Ice was fine with me. It's mainly when in a hurry (maybe getting in a quest of the day), or questing with others that I want a battle to get done quicker.