Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Has been said 1000 times but you ignore us.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 24, 2019
Make WizardCity and Krok F2P. (Except for Aquila)

I am a returning player from around 2010. I think everyone here would be fine if you made these areas F2P. Literally no one would be mad. When returning players have tried getting their friends to play this game they also stop because of the pay wall. I think everyone can agree that more people will come to the game if you give them more time to play. Most of people who play this are probably in their late teens to early twenties. If they try to get their friend to play this game it's gonna be really awkward, because of how childish it looks. If they had more time to understand the game I think they would have a higher change of purchasing crowns or membership?

Also continue revamp of WizardCity and move on to Krok.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Making WC, and other worlds, F2P, has been discussed more often in the past year or so. The issue is, and has always been, a balance between the teaser to get people interested, and the revenue KI makes. My PERSONAL opinion is that IF KI decides to make WC free, it should only be the main story quests, and one non-combat skill of the player's choosing. There is no reason to give it all away, PLUS, it yields more content once they pay for it. They can open up all the non-combat abilities, plus get all the non-story, aka side, quests. I don't feel they should make any other world free at this time. They can evaluate unlocking more worlds after the "WC Test" has been evaluated.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
DanTheRealMan on Jan 25, 2019 wrote:
Make WizardCity and Krok F2P. (Except for Aquila)

I am a returning player from around 2010. I think everyone here would be fine if you made these areas F2P. Literally no one would be mad. When returning players have tried getting their friends to play this game they also stop because of the pay wall. I think everyone can agree that more people will come to the game if you give them more time to play. Most of people who play this are probably in their late teens to early twenties. If they try to get their friend to play this game it's gonna be really awkward, because of how childish it looks. If they had more time to understand the game I think they would have a higher change of purchasing crowns or membership?

Also continue revamp of WizardCity and move on to Krok.
Unicorn Way is free, so is Triton Avenue and Golem Tower; by the time a player finishes those, they should know if they like the game & want to continue playing. I played and farmed Triton Ave. until I was level 15, then decided to buy a game card and bought nearly all ( except Crab Alley ) Wizard City with that.
It is a fact that this IS a children's game with child avatars, I consider the graphics charming and appropriate to the targeted age demographic.
If adults are looking for more realistic MMO's that are completely F2P, there are many to choose from. A free ride won't keep them playing if they consider the game "childish".
"Literally no one would be mad", unfortunately not true, I and many crowns players who bought those areas would be mad.

I do agree that the rest of the game should have the updated look.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2019
@Dayerider

I disagree. I think that but opening up at least wizard city. Kingsisle will get more player because the older fan base will realize this is more than some kids game.

@Anecorbie

Most people don't do this though... Lots of people literally quit, others players similar to me have guided their friends to Triton Avenue and lots of people have judge this game as P2W or other stuff because the pay wall was so fast.

It doesn't matter that we have child avatars, they are badly designed and can be updated with better more modern art and models. These players aren't getting a free ride we are basically extending the tutorial it's not like we are making the entire first arc free.

Why would you be mad? If we had more players, the devs would get more money, and more money equals more content and employees. We all want more content.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2019
You agree so it doesn't really matter, but.

I'm not asking for a more realistic looking MMO. I honestly don't know any MMO's that look realistic, I want better graphics. TF2 is one of the most played games on steam and it doesn't have realistic graphics. I mean I can literally name a several games off the top of my head that don't have realistic graphics but are still striving.

Cartoony graphics doesn't equal bad and I hate when people compare the two.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Perhaps an alternative could be to introduce:

1. A tour of other worlds - similar to the way we visit Grizzleheim before we can actually go there. This sneak peek would allow F2P wizards to glimpse some future worlds, perhaps meet some NPCs and hear/see some of the fun stuff there...all without bumping into other wizards as it is a separate instance like the GH tour. It's important paying customers don't get the grief of new players jumping into their battles and fleeing while they're 'on tour'!

2. Introduce a time limited access to all areas of WC/Krok. New accounts get a free week to explore as much as they can of these worlds...after the week is done they will have to pay for those areas, same as everyone else.

These could work for both sides of the current player base - those who think more should be given/experienced to entice new players; those who think enough is already given free and don't think more of the game should be given to (or over-run by) F2P wizards.

What do you think?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
A continuation of the re-vamp? Definitely.

Not only are the avatars much smoother to look at, but the environment is much more colorful; exactly perfect for kids and adults a like.

About the Free-to-Play Areas.

I've to disagree a little here.

Instead, once a player arrives in Olde Town, upon entering Firecat Alley or Cyclops Lane, they will be given the option of having one of these streets unlocked while the other will require membership.

The game in it's defense has already made steps to assist new accounts by occasionally offering the 1 month membership for a low $4.97 I believe as opposed to the $9.99; and that's for an entire month.

Having all of Krokotopia free to play is asking for too much, maybe The Oasis, but nothing more.

The game can also run a temporary bonus for a few days or so possibly opening all three streets along with Colossus Boulevard so new players are further given a chance to explore. This of course, will not be done often.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
DanTheRealMan on Jan 26, 2019 wrote:
@Dayerider

I disagree. I think that but opening up at least wizard city. Kingsisle will get more player because the older fan base will realize this is more than some kids game.

@Anecorbie

Most people don't do this though... Lots of people literally quit, others players similar to me have guided their friends to Triton Avenue and lots of people have judge this game as P2W or other stuff because the pay wall was so fast.

It doesn't matter that we have child avatars, they are badly designed and can be updated with better more modern art and models. These players aren't getting a free ride we are basically extending the tutorial it's not like we are making the entire first arc free.

Why would you be mad? If we had more players, the devs would get more money, and more money equals more content and employees. We all want more content.
I would be mad because I had to pay for those areas, and if KI did this I wasted my money.

I completely disagree that our avatars are badly designed, they fit the world and fantasy concept. I have been trained in art, cartooning and animation, these avatars are no different from other animation cartoons or films. And with the recent Magic Mirror update, have been made better.
The argument that "it's only extending the tutorial" is a non-starter for me, those players would still quit at the first pay wall because they are looking for free entertainment. And I don't believe that numbers are dwindling.
Also, P2W has a different definition to me, pay to win indicates that dropped gear is sub-par and to be successful in a game you must use real money to buy the best gear. Thankfully, KI has avoided this pit-fall in this game & Pirate101.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2019
I actually like what Victoria said.

@Star
Krok is probably a little to much. I don't think wizard city is though.

@Anecorbie

Even if they aren't badly designed the graphics are still outdated. WoW recently updated lots of its textures in the legion update. Why can't wizard101 do the same?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Victoria FireHeart on Jan 26, 2019 wrote:

1. A tour of other worlds - similar to the way we visit Grizzleheim before we can actually go there. This sneak peek would allow F2P wizards to glimpse some future worlds, perhaps meet some NPCs and hear/see some of the fun stuff there...all without bumping into other wizards as it is a separate instance like the GH tour. It's important paying customers don't get the grief of new players jumping into their battles and fleeing while they're 'on tour'!

2. Introduce a time limited access to all areas of WC/Krok. New accounts get a free week to explore as much as they can of these worlds...after the week is done they will have to pay for those areas, same as everyone else.

These could work for both sides of the current player base - those who think more should be given/experienced to entice new players; those who think enough is already given free and don't think more of the game should be given to (or over-run by) F2P wizards.

What do you think?
I just read my post back and wow, this sentence sounds so mean!

'It's important paying customers don't get the grief of new players jumping into their battles and fleeing while they're 'on tour'!'

I just want to clarify that I was imagining new players, who don't know the game yet, going on a tour visiting worlds they are currently below level to access through the world gate...please don't think I'm hating on new players or F2P! 'Grief' was also maybe too strong a word...'irritation'/'frustration' might have been more appropriate.

No-one's pulled me up for it, but I'll pull myself up for wording it so badly!

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
DanTheRealMan on Jan 27, 2019 wrote:
I actually like what Victoria said.

@Star
Krok is probably a little to much. I don't think wizard city is though.

@Anecorbie

Even if they aren't badly designed the graphics are still outdated. WoW recently updated lots of its textures in the legion update. Why can't wizard101 do the same?
What do you have your graphics set to? I have mine on the highest setting and it looks great. KI seems to be addressing this issue by updating the look of the game, be patient, it will come but it won't be done over-night.
WoW is a much larger company than KingsIsle and is definitely NOT F2P ( or wasn't when my nephew tried to play it ).

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Victoria FireHeart on Jan 28, 2019 wrote:
I just read my post back and wow, this sentence sounds so mean!

'It's important paying customers don't get the grief of new players jumping into their battles and fleeing while they're 'on tour'!'

I just want to clarify that I was imagining new players, who don't know the game yet, going on a tour visiting worlds they are currently below level to access through the world gate...please don't think I'm hating on new players or F2P! 'Grief' was also maybe too strong a word...'irritation'/'frustration' might have been more appropriate.

No-one's pulled me up for it, but I'll pull myself up for wording it so badly!
Actually, I think your comment was right on target. How many of us has had a lower level friend ( with membership ) jump into our battles or in a tough dungeon and thereby making it harder by dragging in extra enemies?
( I know this is a bit off topic but I had to address it. Stop bashing yourself for being honest. )

Survivor
Jan 24, 2019
anecorbie on Jan 28, 2019 wrote:
What do you have your graphics set to? I have mine on the highest setting and it looks great. KI seems to be addressing this issue by updating the look of the game, be patient, it will come but it won't be done over-night.
WoW is a much larger company than KingsIsle and is definitely NOT F2P ( or wasn't when my nephew tried to play it ).
Wizard101 is barerly F2P. The reason why I want to extend the F2P section is so Kinsisle can get new players and hopefully grow to WoW's size.

Defender
Jun 03, 2017
Maybe one day a week, all the worlds(if you unlocked them) could be free, like Membership Monday’s

Or

Like if you are a F2P person, you have a limited membership per week, so you can get a taste of what you could get for a month, like 15 minutes a week unlimited access for nonmember?

Defender
Jun 03, 2017
Or, we could simply get a choice. Last of the 12 days of the spiral, we could choose either the crowns or a “membership” roll, where it could range from a day to a year of free membership!

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Doesn't KI have 50 million players? Isn't that enough for most companies? I remember how thrilled SOE Free Realms celebrated when they reached 2 million. Of course they died out because it wasn't truly F2P and they didn't raise levels or give new content until it's last year.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2019
Anecorrbie. It doesn't matter how many players you have. It's active players. This is pretty simple thing to understand.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
DanTheRealMan on Mar 13, 2019 wrote:
Anecorrbie. It doesn't matter how many players you have. It's active players. This is pretty simple thing to understand.
Well, actually it is active payers that matter.

There are many kids who will never pay who enjoy the F2P areas regularly. I like this. I like that children with no access to money are able to enjoy this game and friends they make and having some wizard fun. It's also important to remember that the free experience has already been increased. Not literally in zones, but in the additions of castle tours, fishing, fishing in houses, pets, hatching, pet training, monstrology, crafting, gardening....every world released makes new items available in the bazaar...every new housing gauntlet becomes available to non-payers... etc etc.

With the addition of trivia etc there are even ways to earn crowns without spending. This is welcomed by many child whose parent says 'no' to paying actual money. I know several who have progessed surprisingly far without paying real money.

KingsIsle may not have increased the number of free zones but they have been constantly increasing the free experience and what can be accessed without pulling out a credit/debit card!

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
I don't think KI is ignoring us, they've done many wonderful updates. Making the game F2P isn't their first priority, especially since they just had one of their best years without that change. They also have families and homes to upkeep as well.

I feel when I joined in 2014 playing three areas (which takes new wizards more time than players who have done it a billion times) was enough for both me and my sister to ask for crowns and soon, a membership. People now can also look up any area on youtube to see what it looks like. If you grind enough you can get to GH and Royal hall (I believe Royal hall is free? I could be wrong).

I do think that a cool cut scene could be done when you finish f2p areas, showing you previews of other worlds. Like the GH tour.

I'm all in for having f2p for more areas, but I think it would cause a few problems for KI and some players. I can see why KI isn't quite doing it yet. If 2019 ends up being better than last year, I think they'll maybe consider.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Question: Why do people want all of Wizard City to be free to play?
People already troll the spiral on disposable accounts. Imagine if they also did not need to pay a dime and could access all of Wizard City.

I hope if they do make all of Wizard City free to play that they will only do that on some realms or will provide realms for MEMBERS and people who've bought the City in the past, to go to that are paid only.

Sorry if that sound elitist but if you think about it there is already a hierarchy of paid and unpaid no matter what. And that is how it is in much of life; people have to pay their bills and keep the lights on, so "free" isn't free, someone is always paying for it.

Taking that income away from KI, would they need to put ads in the free Wizard City realms to make up for it?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on Jan 26, 2019 wrote:

What do you think?
"2. Introduce a time limited access to all areas of WC/Krok. New accounts get a free week to explore as much as they can of these worlds...after the week is done they will have to pay for those areas, same as everyone else."

Disposable accounts trolling Krok as well? That's what I'd fear happening if this were the case. People could make a new disposable account for that free week, over and over again. People already troll Krok by getting other players to port them there. WC and Krok are the 2 places I have the most trouble with people trolling me, or running into my battle circle w/out asking. I dread going there. I basically only do so, to get rid of quests or do a rare daily task when I'm super bored, if it happens to be in Krok. It's too bad because I really liked Krok otherwise.

Absolutely should be ways for people to sample the game and get hooked on the game, and have fun, and I think there is a dearth of entertainment for kids that's more kid-friendly, like KI tries to make its games.

I just am not sure I want to be in Piccadilly Circus so to speak. I go in the spiral to relax. That's just my opinion. Keep the 2 things separate, I think, somehow.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2010
*cough* Just going to throw in my two cents. I believe that the incredibly short F2P portion of this game is simply too little to draw in new players. ( you don't bring a fly rod to go whaling.) If all of Wizard City and Krokotopia were Free, players would be invested, interested, and hungry for more. Frankly, the story is almost nonexistent in Wizard City. but if new players saw the story in Krok, it may be enough to get them to buy membership. And it's not like it's a MASSIVE loss for the players that bought these areas with crowns. Anyways, cya around fellas.