Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do I get text chat?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 16, 2012
This has been bugging me for a while, I turned 15 over the summer and yet I am still only able to use menu chat. I thought that once you turn 13 you can use text chat?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
death drake on Nov 11, 2018 wrote:
This has been bugging me for a while, I turned 15 over the summer and yet I am still only able to use menu chat. I thought that once you turn 13 you can use text chat?
You probably need to change it in the settings via the website.

Log in to wizard101.com click 'my accounts' just under your account name on the left. Go to the 4th tab 'Parental Controls' and log in to the master account. The chat options should appear and you can activate text chat.

If you don't have a master account then you'll have to make one. An account showing the player as 'under 13' can not be tracked the same as those 13+ so it won't happen automatically.

I hope this helps

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Alas, you are a victim of COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act). Looking at your member date, you got a membership before you were 13. Because of COPPA, KI was legally bound to NOT store any information about your age. Therefore they also have no way of proving that you have in fact aged beyond 13.

What this means, unfortunately, is that you will be stuck with menu chat on your account. Also that there is nothing KI can do for you.

The only option you have if you want to use text chat is to make a new account.

Unless, your parents set up your account and have a master account password linked to their credit card. They will have to access the account using their master password and turn on text chat.

Hope this helps
Steven Ghoststalker 127

Survivor
Dec 23, 2016
Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Area51Alien on Nov 12, 2018 wrote:
Alas, you are a victim of COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act). Looking at your member date, you got a membership before you were 13. Because of COPPA, KI was legally bound to NOT store any information about your age. Therefore they also have no way of proving that you have in fact aged beyond 13.

What this means, unfortunately, is that you will be stuck with menu chat on your account. Also that there is nothing KI can do for you.

The only option you have if you want to use text chat is to make a new account.

Unless, your parents set up your account and have a master account password linked to their credit card. They will have to access the account using their master password and turn on text chat.

Hope this helps
Steven Ghoststalker 127
I think you've misunderstood...which is actually good news!

COPPA allows companies to give parental permissions and text chat is one of them. Even if a child is under 13 the parent can change the setting to text chat at their discretion. Text Chat is still considered 'protected chat' as it is not possible to give out personal info (eg real name, address, phone number etc) without going to extreme lengths to circumvent the filters...which is heavily advertised as against the Terms Of Use and may cause the account to be banned. There is no need to make payment by card to access text chat, in fact it can be accessed without ANY payment at all.

Open Chat is a different system and does not count as 'protected chat' as far as COPPA and E10 regulations for child protection is concerned. Open Chat requires the account to show the player as over 18 and additional proof the player is over 18 via credit/debit card transaction. No account made by an under 13 can ever show as over 18 since ages can not be tracked, therefore they will never be able to access Open Chat.

Text Chat is available to every account!

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on Nov 12, 2018 wrote:
I think you've misunderstood...which is actually good news!

COPPA allows companies to give parental permissions and text chat is one of them. Even if a child is under 13 the parent can change the setting to text chat at their discretion. Text Chat is still considered 'protected chat' as it is not possible to give out personal info (eg real name, address, phone number etc) without going to extreme lengths to circumvent the filters...which is heavily advertised as against the Terms Of Use and may cause the account to be banned. There is no need to make payment by card to access text chat, in fact it can be accessed without ANY payment at all.

Open Chat is a different system and does not count as 'protected chat' as far as COPPA and E10 regulations for child protection is concerned. Open Chat requires the account to show the player as over 18 and additional proof the player is over 18 via credit/debit card transaction. No account made by an under 13 can ever show as over 18 since ages can not be tracked, therefore they will never be able to access Open Chat.

Text Chat is available to every account!
Glad I was just a bit wrong in this case.

S Gs