Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Scaling UI?

AuthorMessage
Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Soooo, I just got a new laptop with decent resolution but I can't find how to scale the User Interface in W101. The icons are minuscule and I'm going to need glasses to use the bazaar! Is there a setting I just haven't found to change this? I can increase my text size in chat but everything else is still tiny...please help!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
You might need to change the aspect ratio. It will be in video settings, giving a pair of numbers such as 1060 x 860. Lower numbers have lower resolution but a larger interface. Try a few in the middle range until you find a setting you can live with.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Freshta on Oct 25, 2018 wrote:
You might need to change the aspect ratio. It will be in video settings, giving a pair of numbers such as 1060 x 860. Lower numbers have lower resolution but a larger interface. Try a few in the middle range until you find a setting you can live with.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven
Thanks Alia,

I tried all the different ratios but the bazaar, spells, bottles, book etc are all tiny at every ratio. They seem to be set to use a number of pixels rather than scaled to size in relation to the screen. I've looked into it and other people (with even higher resolutions than mine) can't even play the game because these essential things are too small to see/use.

I know it's an excellent choice for KI to make sure W101 can run on older computers but increasingly people are going to be upgrading to high definition etc as it becomes standard. Reading posts online it seems as this happens people are finding it frustration or impossible to play...mine is thankfully not impossible to still read but I'm yet to see how well I adapt to clicking such small icons.

Maybe Sparck has some ideas? Could adding a fix for this be possible in upcoming maintenance?

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Is this by chance a 4k monitor/display you're using? I've heard of this type of issue happening with 4k displays in other programs. I dont know how to fix it, but wondering if you're having the same issue.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
dayerider on Oct 25, 2018 wrote:
Is this by chance a 4k monitor/display you're using? I've heard of this type of issue happening with 4k displays in other programs. I dont know how to fix it, but wondering if you're having the same issue.
No, it's just full HD...and I have changed my laptop set up (added a mouse and got a new table) and I am getting used to the smaller icons and writing.

Having read up about it when looking for a way to get it back to how it use to be, I saw people saying they had to quit the game when they got even higher resolutions because the UI doesn't scale so theirs went even smaller and literally couldn't be read/clicked properly. Maybe this is still something that would be beneficial to be accommodated?

Thankfully mine is not unplayable now I have a separate mouse and my eyes are getting used to it