Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

About death scholl ... newbie questions

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 31, 2016
So just hit 90 with my death wiz, first character.
I met other death wizards around aztecia (my lvl or lower), and learned one thing, I'm not as good as I'm suppose to be.
My gear is lacking and I'm missing some 'support' spells.

1) Whats the recommended lvl 90 (or up to 90) death gear (just got access to Hades) ?

The strongest blades I've learned so far : spirit blade and death blade (got 2 45% death blades from gear).
Strongest trap : death trap.

2) Which traps and blades I'm missing ?

3) One other thing, is there a recommended death pet for this lvl?

These are probably old questions, so even a link to some answers will be appreciated

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
CoolDeadPoolOG on Oct 22, 2018 wrote:
So just hit 90 with my death wiz, first character.
I met other death wizards around aztecia (my lvl or lower), and learned one thing, I'm not as good as I'm suppose to be.
My gear is lacking and I'm missing some 'support' spells.

1) Whats the recommended lvl 90 (or up to 90) death gear (just got access to Hades) ?

The strongest blades I've learned so far : spirit blade and death blade (got 2 45% death blades from gear).
Strongest trap : death trap.

2) Which traps and blades I'm missing ?

3) One other thing, is there a recommended death pet for this lvl?

These are probably old questions, so even a link to some answers will be appreciated
I periodically double check my wizards are up to date on their spells. I check their school spells, sun spells and auras. You should also have potent trap and sharpened blade trained now.

Here are the death school spells

Here are the quests to access the Sun School Trainer to get Sharpen Blade and Potent Trap (reverse order so you'll only be checking out ones you haven't done yet and can ignore the rest of the list):
Turn Up The Sun
Third Star On The Left
Across The Universe
Midnight Sun
About The Astrals

I think it's useful for any wizard who may be acting as support to train both the Spirit and Elemental blades and traps from Niles The Balance Tree.

For 60-100 I tend to just go with Waterworks gear and change up equipment as I get better drops along the way. Once I hit level 100 I want to get Darkmoor gear (rite of passage) and look at any other gear that could make up a the strongest set for my game style on that wizard. Hopefully someone else will give you better pointers on this than me It might be helpful to list your gear and also your overall stats so they can be compared with other gear available

Pets ~ I make one for each of the play styles that wizard uses. Go for talents that boost the most important stats for your play style and will assist you most. If I'm dealing damage but cutting it fine with surviving I'd go for damages and proof or damages, proof and a maycast heal. If I'm surviving fine I'd stick to just damages. If I'm tanking - wards. If I'm healing - heal boosts or heal boost with resist.

Things to consider: do you play mostly solo or in a team? What is your usual role? What would help you most - damage to kill faster or resist to allow you more time to boost for damage or make more hits?

Useful talents to consider: Death-dealer, Death-Giver, Pain-Giver, Pain-Bringer, Death-Boon, Spell-Proof, Spell-Defying, Fairy Friend...possibly maycast Virulence, maybe criticals if it brings you to 100% or near.

I hope this helps!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Your peers seemed to have a point.

Let's dissect and add to what they mentioned.

Now, is one of the most fun and casual school to play, especially as a solo as necromancers are given an array of useful tools vital to questing.

To be given many of these tools however, you've to go source them, here's where we come in.

Gear,

Gear is vital for optimum questing and it's recommended you always try to seek the best gear for your level. At level 90, you've a couple options; I'll include gear if you've access to crowns or not for your perusal.

Hat - I recommend using the level 76 Crafted Hat available from Lewelyn (gives spiritual trap card) in Dun Dora, Avalon. This hat can actually take you up to level 96 where an upgrade is necessary.
You can also use the Waterworks or House of Scales Hat.
The hat from Hades is also an option; not ideally an excellent one however.

Robe - Again, I'll be sending you to craft. This time, you'll visit the robe recipe vendor Maguey Century Cat in Azteca. He's in Floating Islands I believe and has a very nice level 84+ robe you can use until level 100.
Waterworks and House of Scale Robe are alternatives but I highly suggested you craft these two pieces I mentioned.

Shoes - One of the best shoes within the game hails from the Professor Hoard's Pack. If you've a few crowns, toss some in at the pack and see if you're lucky enough to get the shoes; it's a pretty common drop. If you get shoes from other schools, just place them in your shared bank in case you decide to create wizards of those schools!
Alternatives includes the shoes available from Shane MacGobhann in The Wild, Avalon.
Popol Vuh Whitepaper also has some shoes you can take a look at in Azteca
(Alto Alto).

More to come...

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Athame,

Hands down, the best athame for your use is the Blade of the Felled Titan and it comes from Cronus (Tartarus) inside Tartarus Dungeon (same dungeon as Hades).
This boss cheats a little, but it isn't nothing you can't handle, really.
Don't leave him without it.

Ring,

As I told a fellow wizard here on the Message Boards, the Alpha and Omega Ring available from Gladiator Dimachaerus in Mount Olympus.
This boss can be a bit suborn with his ring, so he may require some high levels of convincing, but try to remain persistent.
Both of these jewelry does wonders for your damage and pips percentage especially.

Amulet,

Hades drops a very useful amulet, the Amulet of Divine Influence however, if he decided to keep it from you; any other amulet giving a Deatblade card can work.

Wand,

Both Hades and Cronus drop the school only Death Wands for level 90+ wizards. It's a decent alternative in the event crowns is escaping you.
If you've crowns however, toss a few at either the Immortal Lore Pack or the Roadwarrior's Pack. Both yield excellent wands for Necromancers. They're rare however.

Pet - Your one and true partner that will never leave your side, accompanies all battles with you, is your pet! Truly important.
As such, much work will be needed of you to create a very formidable pet that will work with you rather than against you.
I recommend using a pet giving your school card with talents ranging from providing damage to resistances (a healing pet is not necessary).
Visit the kiosk inside the Pavilion to see from the vast amounts of pets available to hatch with.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
And finally, comes your spells.

You mentioned that your highest level of trap is the Death Trap; this is false, it's actually feint and this should be used instead of death trap.

I notice you made no mentioned of any or school spells.
Did you already learn them?

If not, visit both the Sun School Trainer in Azteca to learn Sharpen and Potent Trap and the Star School Trainer to the left to learn Punishment.
Both are in Three Points.

Also, note, to unlock these trainers, previous side quest such as Midnight Sun back in Zafaria is required to have been completed.

I also recommend picking up the aura spell Berserk in Celestia.

Have you already learned your damage enchanting spells such as Giant, Strong, Gargantuan?
All are available in the Floating Land, Celestia. It eventually takes you to Zafaria and beyond.

Also,

Have you completed Wintertusk?

Several spells can only be learned after 80% completion of that world.

Survivor
Mar 31, 2016
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation guys, it gave me a great direction.

Spells wise, i was missing sharpened blade and potent trap, which i now got.

From death school im missing : bad juju, deer knight, lord of night, virulent plague and mass infection.
should i get them before i continue khrysalis ?

Gear wise i got staff and hat/robe from Hades, and some other stuff, cant check cause maintenance right now.

stat wise : i got ~4600 hp, +~65% death damage, 12% uni resist (low, i know) , 57% crit chance ( i use crit aura to boost so i got 77% during battle), very low crit block 8% for death and 1/2% everything else , ~72% pp chance , and i think around 7-10% pierce...

i keep wondering how to increase damage resist and block, without losing too much crit and pp chance ...

i was advice to get blade of the felled titan and Alpha and Omega Ring ,
but those kinda depended on finding ppl to join the dungeons.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
CoolDeadPoolOG on Oct 24, 2018 wrote:

From death school im missing : bad juju, deer knight, lord of night, virulent plague and mass infection.

Gear wise i got staff and hat/robe from Hades, and some other stuff, cant check cause maintenance right now.

stat wise : i got ~4600 hp, +~65% death damage, 12% uni resist (low, i know) , 57% crit chance ( i use crit aura to boost so i got 77% during battle), very low crit block 8% for death and 1/2% everything else , ~72% pp chance , and i think around 7-10% pierce...

i keep wondering how to increase damage resist and block, without losing too much crit and pp chance ...

I'd get bad juju, mass infection and virulent plague before continuing. Deer Knight and Lord of Night are Loremaster/pack spells so you don't need to get them and they could take you a LONG time to acquire!

As for Blade of the Felled Titan and the Alpha and Omega Ring...yes, you would do well to have them. One of my friends in game was told the same thing just yesterday and I have promised to help him farm for them (I already have them for my wizzies)...you're very welcome to join us if you'd like to

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
About your spells, I highly recommending at least picking up:

Deer Knight
Headless Horseman.

Deer Knight is available through crafting. Grady in Dun Dora has the recipe and it will require some Amber (rare reagent only available by farming). The bosses above drops the reagent.

You can also farm the Loremaster for both spells. I recommend giving her a couple rounds for the Headless Horseman Spell as it seems she's a little lenient with it during the Halloween Season.

The Knight's Lore Pack also has a chance of dropping the Deer Knight Spell while the Halloween Pack has a chance at the Headless Horseman Spell.

Regardless of the method you choose to get your spells, it's advisable that you do since they're extremely useful.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Star Edward on Oct 25, 2018 wrote:

Deer Knight
Headless Horseman.

Deer Knight is available through crafting. Grady in Dun Dora has the recipe and it will require some Amber (rare reagent only available by farming). The bosses above drops the reagent.

You can also farm the Loremaster for both spells. I recommend giving her a couple rounds for the Headless Horseman Spell as it seems she's a little lenient with it during the Halloween Season.

The Knight's Lore Pack also has a chance of dropping the Deer Knight Spell while the Halloween Pack has a chance at the Headless Horseman Spell.

Regardless of the method you choose to get your spells, it's advisable that you do since they're extremely useful.

Oh wow, yes, I am an idiot!! The OP is way past the level required to craft the spells!

I agree with Star Edward!

If you don't have the reagents etc straight away and want to continue questing then go for it, but definitely grab the recipes and start gathering the bits you'll need to craft them

Survivor
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on Oct 25, 2018 wrote:
I'd get bad juju, mass infection and virulent plague before continuing. Deer Knight and Lord of Night are Loremaster/pack spells so you don't need to get them and they could take you a LONG time to acquire!

As for Blade of the Felled Titan and the Alpha and Omega Ring...yes, you would do well to have them. One of my friends in game was told the same thing just yesterday and I have promised to help him farm for them (I already have them for my wizzies)...you're very welcome to join us if you'd like to
thanks :) ill be happy to join, but how will we go about it? how can i find you in game?
ill work on getting the spells, but after ill get my first shadow spells, im 3 quests away atm yey :)

hmm not sure how to quote twice in the same post lol so :

Deer Knight
Headless Horseman.

gotcha, i already got headless from her a few months back, ill work on deer knight

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
CoolDeadPoolOG on Oct 26, 2018 wrote:
thanks :) ill be happy to join, but how will we go about it? how can i find you in game?
ill work on getting the spells, but after ill get my first shadow spells, im 3 quests away atm yey :)

Deer Knight
Headless Horseman.

gotcha, i already got headless from her a few months back, ill work on deer knight
Just a clarification.

Amber is also dropped by gardening; from King Parsley and Queen Myrtle.

If you have the Castaway's Bungalow house you will also occasionally get Amber from the Lost and Found.

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
CoolDeadPoolOG on Oct 26, 2018 wrote:

Deer Knight
Headless Horseman.

Just put your wizard name and your availability over the next week (include time zone).

I'll post back where I'll be and which wizzy I'll meet on with a few times I will plan to be there. You can just turn up and see if I am there...if I am then we'll connect and it'll be easy to communicate in game, but if not then something's come up irl so pop back the next time that suits. That way you're never waiting, it is just a quick check and connect if we both make it. I have multiple accounts so I'll do the waiting because I can still be playing on another one while keeping my eyes open for you

I think this way works easiest because we have no real time messaging until we're connected and this way if anything changes for either of us it's only taken the other a minute out of game play to check rather than long waits when someone can't make it. I'll be there at the right time and wait a little while (while playing another wiz) so if I'm not there at the right time it's safe to assume I didn't make it online, but if you're a wee bit late it's still worth popping by to check

Does that make sense? Good plan?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
i keep wondering how to increase damage resist and block, without losing too much crit and pp chance

Just to add to this, you can increase this through the use of Pets and Jewels!

So, try visiting a Jewels Recipe Vendor such as Marwa Jadetusk in Zafaria to get started.

As for your pets; this section/part will be a little more difficult.

Visit the Pet Pavilion Koisk and try finding a pet with damage, critical, resistances or whatever talents you feel may be of the most use to you and hatch with that pet.

I recommend ignoring pets with healing talents {since you won't need that too much as a } or with low Stats.

Hatching/having a pet providing a school blade can also be very useful

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
CoolDeadPoolOG on Oct 24, 2018 wrote:

You don't have to farm for Deer Knight, if you've been keeping up on crafting activities. There's a vendor in Avalon that sells this recipe, but it's worth the trouble.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Star Edward on Oct 25, 2018 wrote:

Deer Knight
Headless Horseman.

You can get amber from gardening also. Queen Crepe Myrtle and King Parsley both drop these reagents.