Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Becoming Merle's apprentice.

AuthorMessage
Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Just a thought I would share,

I was thinking that at some point after level 130/150+ we can begin a monthly assignment from Merle Ambrose at Ravenwood, becoming his personal apprentice. We can complete a quest with him in some ancient area of the Spiral. After a year of training, we learn a new powerful and ancient spell from him.

Kind of like the Harry Potter / Grindelwald series. Harry Potter learns some really powerful defensive magic from Dumbledore in Half-Blood Prince. I just thought this would be cool for Wizard101, and Merle already was going to teach Morganthe "all his magical arts to her one day" until she went sour. And Bartleby has now made us his Scion, so I think he can trust us.. lol

Survivor
Mar 10, 2015
Somewhat agree, but at this point we may potentially have surpassed Merle's power-level. I think that was the entire premise of Empyrea part 2 and shadow magic. Shadow magic essentially means that we're using forbidden magic to cast spells that are far beyond the normal scope of magic that Ravenwood can teach us. Not to mention, I think it is fairly well known at this point that Merle is not as strong as he used to be and may not live for very long, lots of teasers have danced around this idea.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Vic Ward on Oct 27, 2018 wrote:
Somewhat agree, but at this point we may potentially have surpassed Merle's power-level. I think that was the entire premise of Empyrea part 2 and shadow magic. Shadow magic essentially means that we're using forbidden magic to cast spells that are far beyond the normal scope of magic that Ravenwood can teach us. Not to mention, I think it is fairly well known at this point that Merle is not as strong as he used to be and may not live for very long, lots of teasers have danced around this idea.
Well yes I do believe we are done with Ravenwood school. But Merle himself probably knows more about magic than anyone. He is an old man, and it would only seem logical for him to pass on more that we may not know. Is light magic actually a thing? Does he wield it? If he is too old to still slap out some magic, maybe he could send us back in time and have us learn from his younger self. ?? Just a thought.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Blaze03554 on Oct 21, 2018 wrote:
Just a thought I would share,

I was thinking that at some point after level 130/150+ we can begin a monthly assignment from Merle Ambrose at Ravenwood, becoming his personal apprentice. We can complete a quest with him in some ancient area of the Spiral. After a year of training, we learn a new powerful and ancient spell from him.

Kind of like the Harry Potter / Grindelwald series. Harry Potter learns some really powerful defensive magic from Dumbledore in Half-Blood Prince. I just thought this would be cool for Wizard101, and Merle already was going to teach Morganthe "all his magical arts to her one day" until she went sour. And Bartleby has now made us his Scion, so I think he can trust us.. lol

Harry doesnt learn a single spell from Dumbledore. He learns history and methodology, but not a single spell.

That said, I AGREE being an apprentice to Merle is a great idea and agree with it wholeheartedly.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
dayerider on Oct 31, 2018 wrote:
Harry doesnt learn a single spell from Dumbledore. He learns history and methodology, but not a single spell.

That said, I AGREE being an apprentice to Merle is a great idea and agree with it wholeheartedly.
Hmm, I thought I read somewhere that Dumbledore taught Harry some really defensive magic.

Speaking of which, I love that quote Dumbledore says in Deathly Hollows part 2: "Help is always given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it. I have always prized myself on the ability to turn a phrase. Words are, in my so humble opinion, inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injuries and remedying it. But I would, in this case, amend my original statement to this: help is always given at Hogwarts to those who deserve it."{JK Rowling} And I know Wizard101 loves using quotes in their dialogue... so maybe one day...........??

At any rate, I believe Merle is a retired "save the day" wizard, like us. I also think he knows WAY more about magic than any of the Arcanum scholars (maybe not so much shadow). If you read the intro to Avalon back in 2012 by Greyrose it says: "Merle Ambrose was born here, and gained a reputation as a fierce Wizard."

So lets not sugar coat anything. Merle was based off Merlin and Albus, the two most powerful wizards in all mythology. So I'm convinced old Merly knows some stuff he ain't sharing.

Alright, enough geeking out on all of you... lol

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
This would be a great addition to the "Daily" stuff that keeps Wizards from getting boring *cough* Pirates *cough*

I for one would love to see this added as part of the fourth arc.

Steven 125
Christopher 12

The Ghoststalker Bros.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Blaze03554 on Nov 3, 2018 wrote:
Hmm, I thought I read somewhere that Dumbledore taught Harry some really defensive magic.

Speaking of which, I love that quote Dumbledore says in Deathly Hollows part 2: "Help is always given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it. I have always prized myself on the ability to turn a phrase. Words are, in my so humble opinion, inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injuries and remedying it. But I would, in this case, amend my original statement to this: help is always given at Hogwarts to those who deserve it."{JK Rowling} And I know Wizard101 loves using quotes in their dialogue... so maybe one day...........??

At any rate, I believe Merle is a retired "save the day" wizard, like us. I also think he knows WAY more about magic than any of the Arcanum scholars (maybe not so much shadow). If you read the intro to Avalon back in 2012 by Greyrose it says: "Merle Ambrose was born here, and gained a reputation as a fierce Wizard."

So lets not sugar coat anything. Merle was based off Merlin and Albus, the two most powerful wizards in all mythology. So I'm convinced old Merly knows some stuff he ain't sharing.

Alright, enough geeking out on all of you... lol

yes, Merle knows a lot more than he's letting on, and yes, I have hope that he'll teach us some new magic. If Zodiac magic (a weird magic type people have asked for before) ever happens, I am of the opinion that Merle should have a hand in teaching it to us, after questing through Celestia..

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
It would be really neat if the two of us traveled to a place like Darkmoor to take down this very powerful magical beast to find a scroll that showed some ancient secrets of magic or magical artifacts or gear...