Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

avalon is extremely difficult to solo as a storm

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 03, 2012
You would think from all the praise it gets it would be a fun world but, no. almost every dungeon takes me an hour of dying and going back in, the mobs are fine but the bosses and dungeons are not fun, especially the myth bosses, almost all there attacks cant be shielded and if they do attack with a low hit, it takes and wastes your shield, and its not only the myth bosses, the ice bosses and mobs are probably even worse, i shouldn't have to explain why. If you guys have any tips for me i would love them

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
OZR2 on Sep 26, 2018 wrote:
You would think from all the praise it gets it would be a fun world but, no. almost every dungeon takes me an hour of dying and going back in, the mobs are fine but the bosses and dungeons are not fun, especially the myth bosses, almost all there attacks cant be shielded and if they do attack with a low hit, it takes and wastes your shield, and its not only the myth bosses, the ice bosses and mobs are probably even worse, i shouldn't have to explain why. If you guys have any tips for me i would love them
Some of the things I find helpful on difficult battles as a solo storm:

Using auras - particularly empowerment to gain extra pips for every hit I take, or fortify to reduce the hits by 20% (I use TC versions because they're an extra 5% resist).

Pet - using a pet with a storm blade card gives me an extra boost for no pips. I'll use a pet with Storm Dealer, Storm-Giver, Pain-giver, Spell-Proof and a heal (fairy friend or energizing battery). This gives 20% extra damage, 10% extra resist and the chance of heals throughout...these can be triggered by taking damage so there is a good chance of a heal or two in particularly rough battles.

Alternating strategy - I start defensive while they use up their starting pips, healing if necessary. Then I take out the minions and go back to defensive again if my health is low or the boss has lots of pips. Then I build for the big hit to defeat the boss, adding feints when he has low pips or I am almost ready to hit. Then attack the boss...if I don't quite defeat him I might have to go back to defensive again if my health is low or his pips are high.

Deck - My boss deck is bigger than my mob deck, but I still try to keep it small enough I can find things when I need them. I have an emergency TC reshuffle just in case I get unlucky and don't quite defeat him with the cards I expected to need. TC reshuffle is 3 pips instead of the trained version's 4 pips...we can also control when we pull it up more easily. If I am defeated I will change up my deck a little bit depending on what happened before trying again.

Other things we can do - if I try the above and keep failing I can ask a friend or use team up...we don't need to save the Spiral alone

If you don't have a pet as described above you could make one via the kiosk (a fantabulous hatching resource) or if you'd prefer advice, support and encouragement of one-on-one hatches I am happy to help

I hope this gives you some ideas to try out, good luck!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
in Avalon isn't as difficult as you make it seem. Sure, you may encounter a few setbacks, but it's how we minimize and bounce back from them is how one can really grow.

So, a few tips:

Gear - How's your gear? More importantly, how's your accuracy? Is it close to 100%? [as it should be], Is your resists adequate? Is your damage % at a decent amount? [above 75%]
Try incorporating your WW Set with crafted gear available from Dun Dora in Avalon.

Boss Battles - Personally, as you suggested, and enemies are not to be underestimated. As you know, mobs share many spells similar to but does greater damage given there higher charms and wards, 's stuns can be highly annoying. So, what do you go? Prepare!
Prepare before rushing into a boss battle. Shield when necessary, use more traps against mobs (for fear of EQ), bring a few treasure Convictions and use them at the start of the battle or fortify.
As a , you must defend yourself adequately while arming yourself to attack.

Attacking - Your staple AoE (Storm Lord, Sirens, Tempest) should be your primary attack as this should take out the mob and heavily injure the boss. Use feints here and I recommend making use of your lower pip spells such as Kraken & Storm Shark as these spells enchanted can do more for less!
Avoid wasting time using spells such as Leviathan or Stormzilla. - You don't need those spells. Stick and get into the habit of using your lower pip spells. - It's another reason why your damage and critical stat is essential here.

Heal - How're you healing yourself? Are you using pixie? Or the much recommended Healing Current?

Take a Break - Remember to take a breather once in a while. Don't allow a annoying boss to upset your day! Take a walk away and come back later attempting it again.

Good Luck!

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I started the game with a fire wizard and as soon as I could get to them I started charming my damage spells. That means I would add a boost card that has a fist to any damage card I was going to cast. Fire has a pretty low fizzle rate so that was working out. When I started my Storm wizard with a higher fizzle rate the fist charms were good there too but I fizzled so much I got killed all the time. That's when I started using the arrow charm cards. They boost your accuracy, ie. your fizzle rate goes down and you're more likely to survive. From there put up as many blades as you can - one from your school, one from your pet, a set from the tree in Krok, find a wand or athame that has a blade attached. Then use the purple fog card for around your feet and you've boosted your hit by at least 90%. If you can't get all those blades use some traps on your foe. A 30% trap (shield look) in front of your enemy's feet is the same as another blade around your head. One more thing that I resisted for a long time - crafting my own gear. I couldn't see that it could be so much better. That's because my focus was on having a bigger life score than how often I could go critical. That changed everything. Now my Ice wizard, who's wearing crafted gear, carrying umpteen blades, and uses a Moon school wand is really fierce. Collect your Sun and Star spells. You can do this.

Sydney Skyblood, lvl 99 Incindiari

Astrologist
Feb 12, 2015
Here are some of my tips:

Learn all the shield spells from Sabrina GreenStar! Packing shields for that boss's specific School is far more powerful than Tower Shields, because it blocks more damage and may not be "stolen" by the bosses minion if it's a different school. As there is no Balance Shield, use Tower Shield instead, and make sure there is a Tower Shield or two in your deck when fighting other school bosses too. Sabrina is located in the Fairegrounds.

Take out the minions first. They can be more trouble than you know, so first use an AoE attack strong enough to defeat the minion(s) - especially if there's more than one of them - before going for the boss.

When battling a boss that is the same school as you, pack Prism Treasure Cards in your Sideboard! It's far more convenient then waiting for them to show up in your deck.

Hope this helps!

Brian WaterSpear, Level 125
Mini-Light