Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mailbox

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 27, 2011
We really need an “open chat” in-game Mailbox.

We need to be able to stay in touch with our “open chat” in-game “friends”. We are not always logged on at the same time as all our friends, or we are on vacation or away for a few days. We don’t want our “open chat” friends to think we have left the game and remove us. Having the ability to send a short note to a friend’s in-game mailbox to say hello, or ask about real-life, or game strategy. There are so many reasons to having a Mailbox. We really need this simple etiquette feature.

Please KI consider this request.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Kokyota on Sep 3, 2018 wrote:
We really need an “open chat” in-game Mailbox.

We need to be able to stay in touch with our “open chat” in-game “friends”. We are not always logged on at the same time as all our friends, or we are on vacation or away for a few days. We don’t want our “open chat” friends to think we have left the game and remove us. Having the ability to send a short note to a friend’s in-game mailbox to say hello, or ask about real-life, or game strategy. There are so many reasons to having a Mailbox. We really need this simple etiquette feature.

Please KI consider this request.
I don't think we need a mailbox and if we did I don't think it should just be for open chat players (it would make even more text-chat-forever players feel excluded). However, you do have a great idea in there!

The idea of us going away for a holiday or during exams etc and risking being removed if someone thinks we're inactive could be addressed by adding another symbol to the friend list that is activated by the player! If we are going to be away for a little while we can click a symbol on our account and all our wizards will be shown to be away but coming back.

When people check their friend list they can see who is inactive and who is temporarily too busy to play. The symbol would only last for a couple of weeks, to make sure no-one ends up permanently showing as 'busy' or 'away' but anyone doing exams etc can log in and quickly refresh it if they're needing a little longer.

I think this would be great for players and also keeps W101 in the mind of those who intend on returning! They're more likely to make a note of when to refresh it instead of a couple of weeks turning into a month...and possibly ambling into (dare I say it!) another game! How dare they get distracted when the Spiral needs saving!

What do you think? Would this solve the problem you're describing? Could this be a useful feature?

Explorer
Sep 27, 2011
Victoria FireHeart on Sep 4, 2018 wrote:
I don't think we need a mailbox and if we did I don't think it should just be for open chat players (it would make even more text-chat-forever players feel excluded). However, you do have a great idea in there!

The idea of us going away for a holiday or during exams etc and risking being removed if someone thinks we're inactive could be addressed by adding another symbol to the friend list that is activated by the player! If we are going to be away for a little while we can click a symbol on our account and all our wizards will be shown to be away but coming back.

When people check their friend list they can see who is inactive and who is temporarily too busy to play. The symbol would only last for a couple of weeks, to make sure no-one ends up permanently showing as 'busy' or 'away' but anyone doing exams etc can log in and quickly refresh it if they're needing a little longer.

I think this would be great for players and also keeps W101 in the mind of those who intend on returning! They're more likely to make a note of when to refresh it instead of a couple of weeks turning into a month...and possibly ambling into (dare I say it!) another game! How dare they get distracted when the Spiral needs saving!

What do you think? Would this solve the problem you're describing? Could this be a useful feature?
Your idea would be a great add-on.

But it is essential that players are able to discuss battle strategy ahead of time. It is very frustrating to do that a moment before going into battle.

Having the ability to leave a message with other players is something that is already working especially in War MMORPG where a whole legion (35+) receives orders - very affective.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Hmm one of the buildings on the commons being transformed into a Post Office (or using one of the Post Offices in Regent's Square... but then that would limit it to higher level wizards only)

Walk up to the counter, the postmaster asks which friend you want to send the message to and you get a drop down list of all your friends.

Then the post master checks to see if that friend has enough empty space in their PO Box to receive a message.

If yes, then you can type in a quick 200 character letter.

Friend is then alerted next time they log on.

Yes, this would be a great idea...

That said, I would only endorse the whole idea if there would be some way of policing the letters so that kids would not be enticed to sending out personal contact info or anything else that would violate COPPA.

Steven 125
Chris 9
The Ghoststalker Bros.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I think that this has good potential. I would love to see a Bank and Post Office in Wizard City.

I think as far as the monitoring of content it would probably be good to have it monitored in much the same way as chat is the only difference is that the messages would have to persist for a certain amount of time.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I think it would be cool o have a Post Office In the Commons. I always wanted a mailbox for offline friends about meeting arrangements to do quest and help in challenging battles. I know there's team-up but it no longer works to get a team together in most area.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014

I love your idea about a symbol to show inactivity on a wizard. I have a near full friends list and I can't delete anyone because I don't know if the wizard is still playing. Or how about adding an inactivity list to your Friends List. That way if a wizard hasn't been playing for a certain amount of time is automatically put under the Inactivity List until they play their character again. I think a symbol will help a lot and specially if there will be a mailbox

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Patrick Ravenbane on Oct 10, 2018 wrote:
I love your idea about a symbol to show inactivity on a wizard. I have a near full friends list and I can't delete anyone because I don't know if the wizard is still playing. Or how about adding an inactivity list to your Friends List. That way if a wizard hasn't been playing for a certain amount of time is automatically put under the Inactivity List until they play their character again. I think a symbol will help a lot and specially if there will be a mailbox
They have the activity symbol that shows whether a wizard has been 'active', 'recent' or 'dormant' but I'm unsure how long it takes to become 'dormant' and it doesn't account for someone being away on holiday or doing exams etc...there is no way to know the intent of the player. It would be helpful for players to have a way to communicate they haven't moved on or lost interest, they just have to take a break for real life things.

I deleted a kid I knew because I didn't know she had exams and was coming back. Fortunately we had a mutual friend who let me know she was going to be gone during exams and coming back after them, so I didn't delete her when she was gone for a few months. When they both came back to the Spiral the girl I deleted was upset I hadn't kept her...I felt like such a mean person! Fortunately our mutual friend was able to help us reconnect and I explained I thought she'd quit (they were both low level, so quitting was a logical thought).

I don't like to think there could be other people I've removed who came back, were upset I'd deleted them but had no way to reconnect again! It could make the Spiral feel less friendly or inviting thinking nice people who like you just forget you or don't care any more when you have to take a time out!

Survivor
Aug 24, 2018

THAT IS GREAT :D