Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP matchmaking system is broken.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 08, 2011
I was watching a friend (Level 38 Storm, Veteran) while he was doing PvP, and he ended up going against an ice. The ice beat him and it turns out that he was a grand ice (knight) with full glendemming's gear.

This has been a problem with PvP for a while, but that's just ridiculous. How does the algorithm even think of making a 38 go against a 50 who has much higher rank then him? He didn't even have try all opponents on.

I've also always had problems like that. I went into a match also on my 31 Balance and went against a master (40) myth who was warlord. He went first, too. I can't remember what rank my balance was at the time, but it was way below warlord, maybe veteran.

No way that is supposed to happen. I know no program can be perfect, but how can the match making algorithm mess up that bad?

If KingsIsle actually somehow manages to see this, I think the community can agree that there are huge problems with the match making algorithm and fixing it as much as you can would be much appreciated.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
The matchmaking system was never perfect, but I feel like it has become worse.
I do low level pvp, adept and journeyman, and I think those might be the levels where you experience the most unfair matches, especially when you go over 1000 rank. I'll give you examples of matches my friends and I get.

Say you're an adept fire level 22 with 1156 rank, you get a level 50 that's sergeant AND has glendemmings from the previous age?! How does anyone expect you to win, at all?
So you lose, the next match you fight a level 40 balance who is commander. COOL.
Then you fight a magus level 35 life who has 1k rank, and has triage and satyr trained. Ok.....

All of them have double your health, like 30% more damage, double the chances of power pips, and twice or more the size of your TC deck. Not to mention, you go second! Congratulations!

This type of matchmaking made sense in the first and maybe the second age, but not anymore. Anyone who "appears" to be lower rank could be a previous age warlord with decent skill and good gear. Plus, with the addition of new dungeons and gear, and the hatchmaking kiosk, that means that anyone who just started can have the stats to beat you from first. Back in the first ages, it was acceptable to fight higher levels when you are high ranking because those who have low rank are usually players with bad stats and may not know a lot about pvp.
Now it just doesn't work. Everyone knows a thing or two about pvp, everyone can get amazing stats from Aquila and max stat pets easily from the kiosk. Then, how would lower levels ever win against higher levels if there are no significant advantages over gear and skill?

The matchmaking system clearly needs to be updated. I have an idea, which is making us just face people like in tournaments, in the same "level category", regardless of rank. That would mean that if you keep winning and get sky high ratings, you are actually probably one of the best around your level. This would rank people base on levels.