Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Backdraft

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 18, 2011
When I got backdraft, I was surprised to see it was a trap. Traps are used for all schools, but considering backdraft provides a fire trap, that may not be good. Fire is a school with the main point being to spread damage across a DOT. Sure, in the higher levels there's some strong one hit attacks and all shadow enhanced spells are one-hit and DOT attacks have a stronger initial blast than the damage you'll take each round from the DOT, it still isn't suited for fire. For fire, what matters is blades, as they increase the whole attack. Now I know that 12% per pip as a blade for fire would be too op so I think 10% would still keep it balanced. This makes it more applicable to fire attacks that have DOTs.

Survivor
Mar 26, 2009
While this is true for fire, Backdraft is still unique compared to if it ended up being a fire version of supercharge(storm spell that creates a storm charm that gives 10% per pip).

Not to mention it's way useful at endgame bosses such as Omens or Tenni'Syn. It's amazing at places where only traps are allowed or you're dealing with a storm boss who may potentially remove your charms. It's also a good alternative to feint at bosses where feints aren't allowed.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2010
LightofRuin on Jul 23, 2018 wrote:
While this is true for fire, Backdraft is still unique compared to if it ended up being a fire version of supercharge(storm spell that creates a storm charm that gives 10% per pip).

Not to mention it's way useful at endgame bosses such as Omens or Tenni'Syn. It's amazing at places where only traps are allowed or you're dealing with a storm boss who may potentially remove your charms. It's also a good alternative to feint at bosses where feints aren't allowed.
It is also great when you have two fires, one can blade and the other backdraft. I use it in Darkmoor all the time on Malistaire. It is the best thing that ever happened to fire.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Backdraft being a trap means it's much less likely to be "forbidden" in the way that Feint so often is when facing a cheating boss. Also, you don't have to worry about Enfeebles, Sirens, Glowbugs and Earthquakes removing a Backdraft trap.

Running both a Storm and a Fire, I prefer the Backdraft over the Supercharge. I don't know how many times I've lost a blade when setting up a hit, but traps tend to stay there until you're ready to use them.

The kind of traps that take advantage of the damage-over-time aspect of Fire school already exist: Fuel.

Don't mess with Backdraft. It's perfect the way that it is - to be used with Helephant, Efreet, Raging Bull, Fire From Above, Scorching Scimitars, etc.

Alia Misthaven
Rowan Ashcloud

Survivor
Mar 18, 2011
Ok, thanks for the replies, I'm sure I'll be able to use it often, as I do find, especially myth bosses, I end up losing my blades. Also, there's a chance that a boss doesn't allow feints and they either swap the feint or they destroy it. Like how Krampus destroys feints, even feints with indemnity.