Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Please reevaluate the open chat system!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
I have been told by customer support many times that I will never be able to qualify for open chat because I was under the age of 13 when I made my account a decade ago, and weren't able to track my age to verify I actually qualify for open chat. Please change this system! No other game or site I have ever played has done this. There are 12 year olds who have open chat, while I, an actual adult, still can't have it because I made the mistake of telling the truth about my age when signing up for my account. Why are you punishing people for telling the truth? As more accounts reach my account's age, only more and more people will run into this problem of having created their account when they were under the age of 13 so please do something about this soon. Will I still be unable to unlock open chat when my account turns 18 year old in 8 years? If I theoretically made my account at 1 years old? Completely ridiculous.

Explorer
May 13, 2018
Wait, really? My account of 6 years ago has open chat now (and I told the truth).

Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
Epic Patrick on Jul 20, 2018 wrote:
I have been told by customer support many times that I will never be able to qualify for open chat because I was under the age of 13 when I made my account a decade ago, and weren't able to track my age to verify I actually qualify for open chat. Please change this system! No other game or site I have ever played has done this. There are 12 year olds who have open chat, while I, an actual adult, still can't have it because I made the mistake of telling the truth about my age when signing up for my account. Why are you punishing people for telling the truth? As more accounts reach my account's age, only more and more people will run into this problem of having created their account when they were under the age of 13 so please do something about this soon. Will I still be unable to unlock open chat when my account turns 18 year old in 8 years? If I theoretically made my account at 1 years old? Completely ridiculous.
You're not being "punished" for not being eligible to have open chat. If you made your account before you were 18 and your account age and account birthday show you're under 18, then you can't unlock the open chat feature. Due to child laws, Kingsisle is not allowed to keep your information on file if you're under 13, so there is no way for them to actually prove you're 18 or older since your information MUST be discarded if you're not of legal age. The only way to qualify for open chat is waiting until the age you set for your account goes up to 18 or older. It's really not Kingsisle's fault that you're unable to get open chat, it's more of the legal side of it. Kingsisle could get multiple lawsuits if they kept the information of someone who was not of legal age and Open Chat is meant for 18 years old or older because it offers more flexibility in chatting and because of that, parents don't want their children learning bad words from a game that's meant to be for all ages, which is why you need a valid credit or debit card purchase AND your account age being 18+ to get Open Chat.

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 88 Diviner, Promethean Crafter, Lore Spell and Pet Enthusiast, now owner of May Cast Revitalize)