Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Performance issues with new update

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 27, 2009
Hey guys,

I've been playing this game for a long time, and I would like to say that the new graphics look awesome. I am sure the entire KI team had a lot of fun bringing this whole thing together. The music is great too!

Unfortunately there is a bit of an issue. My frames per second (FPS) dipped around half in The Commons. Going from a solid 60 to around 30. The performance is really bad for me. Even in areas like Unicorn Way and the Shopping District, I am having problems. I have heard several others in The Commons speaking about this as well. I'm unsure what the problem is exactly. I have tried turning down ALL the options I could, including resolution, particles, bloom, etc. Even with all the options at their lowest setting it doesn't seem to help much.

Standing by the tree in front of Merel's tower looking over the pond towards the Library results in a huge performance loss. Every single time. Even in realms where there are hardly any players. The worst part is that the FPS goes up and down and all around, resulting in a very choppy experience.

I'm not experiencing this issue on any other world or any other place (that I have been to) other than the areas that were changed graphically. I will leave my system specifications below.

Thanks!
------------

Latest Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
i7 4790 @ 3.6 GHz
GTX 1060 6GB
1920x1080 monitor

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
Try updating your graphics card there was just a nvidia update the other day then go into the nvidia settings and adjust the physics to use your card as the physics defaults to your processor when you do a driver update. Then go thru the other settings and adjust them to your liking(anti aliasing, mfaa, vsync etc). Most people don’t realize you can do this and they play with a good card on default settings. I have almost same setup as you (processor etc), and I have a GTX1070. My frames seem fine. If you want I can post what settings I use if your not sure what to change or not. Just post here and let me know.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Hopefully it will clear up soon. After every major update, there tends to be a time of extra buggyness. I guess some problems do not crop up in the test realm, and when it goes live game they have to iron out the unexpected bugs, plus so many people log on the check out the new stuff. I'd give it a few days to see if things smooth out. If you can, continue to avoid the busy areas, realms, and busiest times of day to play.

Survivor
Nov 12, 2012
Many players are having the game crash for them, and lots of performance issues. I've crashed twice today, usually when going from wizard city to any other world. I love the graphics but having my game crash is something i do not love

Defender
Feb 28, 2013
The graphics freeze for a few seconds. Very frustrating especially if I'm in a fight.
The thing is, the game keeps going even tho' the screen froze so it jumps to where it should be instead of the point where the screen froze.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2010
I have talked to several friends and seems the new update has slowed the computers down, made screens freeze and yes, several times the game crashes. Being so many have the same problem or similar.
so what do we have to do, buy new computers?

Survivor
Mar 01, 2009
I keep having freezing issues. The thing is, it is happening anywhere except where the new graphics are. I keep freezing in Zafaria, Azteca, and Celestia.

Defender
Feb 28, 2013
Albavar on Jul 21, 2018 wrote:
I keep having freezing issues. The thing is, it is happening anywhere except where the new graphics are. I keep freezing in Zafaria, Azteca, and Celestia.
It doesn't seem to matter where I am.
Whether it's Wiz City, Dragonspyre or wherever. The screen freezes.
Very frustrating.

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
I have now noticed a little slowdown/stutter when doing gardening like when using the spells when you can encircle more than one plant. I also noticed the the mana and health wisps in Emory’s and mirage are pixelated however I sent them a report on it so hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Champion
Jun 30, 2009
I have had freezing issues in Pet Pavilion.

Survivor
Jan 15, 2011
When I head to a fight inside a cave or building I am getting stuck on the loading page. It is almost as if the game has just stopped and is stuck there on that page for loading the area. This didn't start happening until the update, and my computer is brand new and fully updated last I checked. *frustrated*

Defender
Sep 15, 2013
You should probably update your graphics card or perhaps even your RAM or hard drive. I use two 65" TV's for my monitors and I haven't experienced this at all. I have a really good graphics card though which may be the difference. Also, my hard drive is a 500Gb solid state drive. I would start with the graphics card because it doesn't sound like it's an in game issue. Wish I could be of more immediate help, good luck!

Survivor
Feb 27, 2009
It's definitely not related to my GPU, and it most certainly is the game. I upgraded to a 1070 Ti in the time I posted my first message to this one. It is directly related to the amount of players on the screen. Even in a realm with only 4 or 5 people in The Commons could drop my FPS from 60 to 40. 10+ people and my FPS can drop as low as 20. On a system that can run most games at ultra settings with 60 FPS this is starting to really make the game unpleasant to play. A 40 FPS drop in a game like this is nearly unacceptable since I pay for this game every month. I enjoy socializing in The Commons and it's awful that this is happening. I did contact KI support, and they gave me some tips but nothing has helped. I've reinstalled the game twice now, and why no one else has noticed this issue is beyond me.