Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Mobile Authenticator

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 20, 2013
As an increased security measure you should consider a Mobile Authenticator. Basically what it does is when you set up your phone number on your account. Then upon logging in you receive a text message containing a 5 digit code for you to put in.

So even if someone manages to fish out your account name and password, they still wouldn't be able to log in without this 5 digit code.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Anthony Wildgrove on Jul 15, 2018 wrote:
As an increased security measure you should consider a Mobile Authenticator. Basically what it does is when you set up your phone number on your account. Then upon logging in you receive a text message containing a 5 digit code for you to put in.

So even if someone manages to fish out your account name and password, they still wouldn't be able to log in without this 5 digit code.
It's a good idea in theory but in practice it would be very expensive and likely cause huge inconvenience to everyone.

Every day KI would be sending me multiple international texts as I log into my accounts...I'd have to wait for those texts to arrive and believe me, I'd be having kittens if I'd only logged out because of a disconnect and needed to get back to my team or hatch etc asap!

Then there is the issue of if I change my phone or lose it and don't yet have it back/replaced...or anyone without a phone (which would affect a lot of the younger players in particular).

The number would have to be able to be changed in the account settings without physically having it (lost/stolen/replaced etc) so anyone with our account login details would have enough to change it anyway and we'd only think we were more secure without actually being more secure.

Survivor
May 22, 2009
I agree with this, and think it could help provide sercurity.

My account was accessed by one of my friends for a long time when I was not interested in playing the game and when I came back many of my favorite item were stitched over and I was muted for a very long time

If a feature like this was in the game it would have saved me! Just my 2 cents.

Survivor
Mar 20, 2013
Victoria FireHeart on Jul 16, 2018 wrote:
It's a good idea in theory but in practice it would be very expensive and likely cause huge inconvenience to everyone.

Every day KI would be sending me multiple international texts as I log into my accounts...I'd have to wait for those texts to arrive and believe me, I'd be having kittens if I'd only logged out because of a disconnect and needed to get back to my team or hatch etc asap!

Then there is the issue of if I change my phone or lose it and don't yet have it back/replaced...or anyone without a phone (which would affect a lot of the younger players in particular).

The number would have to be able to be changed in the account settings without physically having it (lost/stolen/replaced etc) so anyone with our account login details would have enough to change it anyway and we'd only think we were more secure without actually being more secure.
Well Guild Wars 2 has this feature. And once you put in the code there is a box titled "Remember this Network" if you check it it won't send you codes as long as you are logging into the game from your IP address.

I doubt there is still youngling without a phone, but if there is one that feature could be optional.

And about number change you can have it that to change a number you must verify it via email. And I doubt people use same password for Wizard101 and their Email.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Anthony Wildgrove on Jul 23, 2018 wrote:
Well Guild Wars 2 has this feature. And once you put in the code there is a box titled "Remember this Network" if you check it it won't send you codes as long as you are logging into the game from your IP address.

I doubt there is still youngling without a phone, but if there is one that feature could be optional.

And about number change you can have it that to change a number you must verify it via email. And I doubt people use same password for Wizard101 and their Email.
Oh I see what you mean! I thought you meant sending a code EVERY time we logged in! I was like, noooooooooo, that would do my head in!

I still think it would an additional expense KI might not want to make and telling us not to share passwords etc should be enough...but I've also heard of people who have not 'given' their password out but someone has seen them logging in (irl) and tried to take their account.

I'm not sure, perhaps being able to save the IP address/addresses you use and it requiring further verification if it's accessed from another location would work? That could all be done online without the need to store more personal info, use other devices and send texts out. Maybe another level of security would be helpful in reducing time dealing with lost/stolen accounts and bad behaviour in the Spiral when someone accesses an account they have no investment in.