Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Choice on wearing female or male gear

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 13, 2010
Not all females Like to wear dresses. and the males clothing is way cooler.

Can we please have this option?

Survivor
Jun 26, 2016
I wouldn't necessarily want males' clothing, but I would love if color choices for the gear were equal. Men like pink, too!

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
I would like something like this. I know i prefer the look of certain hair styles better on the male base i.e. the licorice and the marlot, i'd rather have goggle than an undyable flower headband. And I remember not being able to stand how color saturated the female version of those winter parkas were that we got a few Christmases back (The arund dale I think it was called and it came in two other colors)

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
If girls want to play as boys or boys want to play as girls they can simply create a character of the type they want and do it.

Survivor
Nov 14, 2010
I think that would be a cool idea too

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I would love to select from the male color pallet. The female purples and pinks are particularly obnoxious (sorry, that's my opinion), whereas the male's more muted shades of green, blue and orange appeal to me quite a lot.

Yes, I did create a male wizard just to get at the male color schemes, but why should I have to do that. Why can't a "girl wizard" have access to more earthy colors in her gear if that's what she prefers? Why can't a "boy wizard" wear flamingo pink if that's what he likes?

It's 2018, why are we still locked into gender stereotypes? We should be able to select our color pallet and gear style - 'dresses' or 'trousers' - when we create a new character.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
There is a lot of gear that isn't a dress in fact most of it isn't a dress. Some of it is a robe, like a wizard robe.

If you're thinking of Celestia I see what you mean but frankly the male version of those costumes isn't that attractive. Big bloomers for men, a short dress for women.

Make a male wizard and you can wear male stuff. Meanwhile a lot of gear is very masculine and even has muscles. There is some gear that makes my girl wizards look like a male with a female head. Huge shoulders, huge muscles etc.

So there are options just not complete options.

I'm not sure they will make things that way if they haven't given guys the pink color option yet.

I wasn't aware of other colors that are gender specific as Freshta mentioned. I never noticed that.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
SparkleTude on Jun 26, 2018 wrote:
There is a lot of gear that isn't a dress in fact most of it isn't a dress. Some of it is a robe, like a wizard robe.

If you're thinking of Celestia I see what you mean but frankly the male version of those costumes isn't that attractive. Big bloomers for men, a short dress for women.

Make a male wizard and you can wear male stuff. Meanwhile a lot of gear is very masculine and even has muscles. There is some gear that makes my girl wizards look like a male with a female head. Huge shoulders, huge muscles etc.

So there are options just not complete options.

I'm not sure they will make things that way if they haven't given guys the pink color option yet.

I wasn't aware of other colors that are gender specific as Freshta mentioned. I never noticed that.
It's unlikely that they will be changing the styles of the old gear. However, it's something they could have in mind when creating new worlds and new clothing to go along with it.

Additionally, people have been asking for boys to have pink for years (or just a full palette in general). It's a shame to see that KI has not yet implemented that and it makes me wonder if they ever will. If they do, though, I feel this update to Wizard City will be best time to reveal it.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Shannon Skybreaker on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
It's unlikely that they will be changing the styles of the old gear. However, it's something they could have in mind when creating new worlds and new clothing to go along with it.

Additionally, people have been asking for boys to have pink for years (or just a full palette in general). It's a shame to see that KI has not yet implemented that and it makes me wonder if they ever will. If they do, though, I feel this update to Wizard City will be best time to reveal it.

Best of luck!
S.S.
Yes I was posting in hopes for future bundles. It would be difficult to go back and change old gear.I don't think I asked for that though?

Yes I know people have been asking for pink for boy wizards a long time. That's why I mentioned that if that hasn't been done....

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I'd like to see jeans and a Tshirt as available options.

Steven Ghoststalker

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Area51Alien on Jun 28, 2018 wrote:
I'd like to see jeans and a Tshirt as available options.

Steven Ghoststalker
Ooh, yes!

On that note, I also want a business suit and a briefcase wand.

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Freshta on Jun 26, 2018 wrote:
I would love to select from the male color pallet. The female purples and pinks are particularly obnoxious (sorry, that's my opinion), whereas the male's more muted shades of green, blue and orange appeal to me quite a lot.

Yes, I did create a male wizard just to get at the male color schemes, but why should I have to do that. Why can't a "girl wizard" have access to more earthy colors in her gear if that's what she prefers? Why can't a "boy wizard" wear flamingo pink if that's what he likes?

It's 2018, why are we still locked into gender stereotypes? We should be able to select our color pallet and gear style - 'dresses' or 'trousers' - when we create a new character.

Alia Misthaven
"It's 2018, why are we still locked into gender stereotypes? "

Because the core mechanics of the game were built in 2008 when this was not such an issue. While undoubtedly there are people that would like these changes I still feel that it is the minority. As I have said in other posts, I would rather see a 7th character slot and name change potion before doing this. I have no problem if they implemented some sort of color wheel or whatever to solve this conundrum but I feel that there are other more important things. That's just my opinion and sorry to play devils advocate but also keep in mind that Wizards and Medieval stuff would traditionally have an even more "traditional" as opposed to "modern" approach to fashion and gender stereotypes and stuff. Maybe if we get some Valencian fashions in or something....

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
The other thing is -- in probably the same vein of what EXP is saying -- a game aimed at a mass market has to appeal to everybody and that means homogenizing things to some extent. The game has child players and parents can be very vocal and protective regarding their kids. It's not 18 or older, it's for kids too. There might be players or families who are more "conservative" as well as all over the social or political spectrum.
To put it more bluntly if anyone might not like it or might be offended by it in some way it probably won't make it in as a permanent part of a mass market game.
Games aimed at adults are starting to reflect the more recent social climate or culture but I wouldn't expect the same from children's entertainment any time soon.

I could be wrong. But that's my guess.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Jul 4, 2018 wrote:
The other thing is -- in probably the same vein of what EXP is saying -- a game aimed at a mass market has to appeal to everybody and that means homogenizing things to some extent. The game has child players and parents can be very vocal and protective regarding their kids. It's not 18 or older, it's for kids too. There might be players or families who are more "conservative" as well as all over the social or political spectrum.
To put it more bluntly if anyone might not like it or might be offended by it in some way it probably won't make it in as a permanent part of a mass market game.
Games aimed at adults are starting to reflect the more recent social climate or culture but I wouldn't expect the same from children's entertainment any time soon.

I could be wrong. But that's my guess.
Besides, there are six wizard slots. If you really want a wizard to be able to wear a certain style of clothing there is nothing keeping you from making a wizard of that sex.

And yes, broad appeal is at the heart of any decision that KI makes for W101

S Gs

Squire
Jul 09, 2010
Ultimately KI needs to decide who it is in the world - what messages it really means to send. Not preaching in any direction; just what do they say by doing what they do and being what they are? Integrity. Let the chips fall as they may. The fact is that everyone is sending messages every day whether they think about it or mean to - or not.

Only KI can know their truth and I'm not saying who they should be.

Personally, my preference would be that every player had the same choices for appearance - so double - regardless of the gender assigned at character creation. If they ever do change the character creation process they could just drop that part of the dialogue - just start with "What do you look like?" and give us all the faces, hair, robe colors, to choose from. And all the names.

Who cares whether the person next to you is named Charles Ravenflame and wearing an MB princess dress? Or named Margret Icehammer and wearing the "boys" version of the dragon embossed DS gear? Who cares if Lisa Summergiggle is wearing the "boys" version of the Kestral? Or Sam Lionpants is wearing the "girls" version of the Kestral? Who cares if the girl name carries the more angular face and the boy name carries the softer face?

Not me. But there are a lot of people out there that it would mean a great deal to to see another message of allowing people to choose for themselves who they are -- even if it is just in a game.

Explorer
Aug 19, 2012
i agree at the start of the game when you take the book to determine your school or in empyrea part 2 you should be aloud to tell them your choice of gear in empyrea part 2 i would pay 5000 gold to stitch a look of a more suitable gear i want since its not fair for only crowns players to do so and i'm not gonna farm malistare for his hidden looking gear again i would even pay 15000 gold if i must

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
exp613 on Jul 2, 2018 wrote:
"It's 2018, why are we still locked into gender stereotypes? "

Because the core mechanics of the game were built in 2008 when this was not such an issue. While undoubtedly there are people that would like these changes I still feel that it is the minority. As I have said in other posts, I would rather see a 7th character slot and name change potion before doing this. I have no problem if they implemented some sort of color wheel or whatever to solve this conundrum but I feel that there are other more important things. That's just my opinion and sorry to play devils advocate but also keep in mind that Wizards and Medieval stuff would traditionally have an even more "traditional" as opposed to "modern" approach to fashion and gender stereotypes and stuff. Maybe if we get some Valencian fashions in or something....
One of your arguments, (that magic and wizards aren't "modern"), is flawed. It's only the beginning of this game and one other world (Wizard City & Avalon) that are stuck in the "middle ages." The other worlds range all over the place in terms of technology, times and fashions. Some are very modern.

Marleybone has harnessed electricity to run radios, computer panels and cars. Dragonspyre soldiers dress in 20th century military style, both males and females. Celestia was a space-aged "alien" civilization with highly advanced digital technology. Empyrea features space travel and Spark's technical gadgets. In addition to guns, ships and cannons, Polaris has a male "ballerino" bear - complete with a tutu!

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/NPC:Bearyshnakov#axzz5Ky9GbTey

Bearyshnakov is a Primo Ballerino Dancer who happens to be a Polar Bear. Bearyshnakov is one of the Empress's favorite dancers, but he has had enough of her grotesqueness.

Also, I don't think the core mechanics are as rigid as you've suggested.

The fact is that clothing styles already do switch from male to female color & shapes simply based on which gender of wizard is "looking at it" or wearing it. I have both male and female wizards - the gear automatically shifts color & shape as soon as I transfer it. Gear for a "male" that is passed through the shared bank comes out as the "female" version on the other side. (And vice versa.)

Since the coding to change gear appearance based on gender already exists, it shouldn't be that difficult to code in a wider selection of options for us when we start a new wizard. Double the color pallet & open it to everyone, or let us pay crowns to switch color and/or shape on a case-by-case basis, similar to stitching.

I respect that you have other priorities, and that is actually your strongest argument against making this kind of change.

Alia Misthaven