Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Crafting vs. Luck

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
I'd like to register an objection to the way jewel crafting is designed.

No craftsman, ever, anywhere, crafted something and was surprised by the outcome. The essence of "craft" is expertise at achieving a desired goal.

If I want to "craft" a Mighty Jewel, I should be able to do it without a random number generator and sixteen tries. Maybe it should be harder than merely assembling three snacks, ten titaniums, and some bubblegum, but I think the recipe should result in a specific thing, not a "chance" at the thing.

that isn't crafting, it's roulette.

Please rethink this, and don't implement more RNG-base crafting, KI. Make the jewel ingredients hard to make, make it a big deal to finally assemble them, you can even make us fight and defeat Fennik in a tough battle to get to the crafting table, but if you are going to call it crafting keep the randomness to a minimum.

thanks for listening.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
a simple fix for this would be to have a reagent vendor ask us to gather the items, then offer up a list of jewels they'll take in trade. We're still "crafting" it, but this way we get what we want.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I agree. Crafting means gathering ingredients and assembling them, working towards a specific goal. It does not mean "gambling on RNG."

If we want to gamble on RNG, that's what boss fights are for.

Alia Misthaven

"I'll just throw some wood and glue together to see whether I end up with a table, a bed or a chair..." Said no carpenter, ever.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
ChicoValerian on May 20, 2018 wrote:
I'd like to register an objection to the way jewel crafting is designed.

No craftsman, ever, anywhere, crafted something and was surprised by the outcome. The essence of "craft" is expertise at achieving a desired goal.

If I want to "craft" a Mighty Jewel, I should be able to do it without a random number generator and sixteen tries. Maybe it should be harder than merely assembling three snacks, ten titaniums, and some bubblegum, but I think the recipe should result in a specific thing, not a "chance" at the thing.

that isn't crafting, it's roulette.

Please rethink this, and don't implement more RNG-base crafting, KI. Make the jewel ingredients hard to make, make it a big deal to finally assemble them, you can even make us fight and defeat Fennik in a tough battle to get to the crafting table, but if you are going to call it crafting keep the randomness to a minimum.

thanks for listening.
I totally agree! It's like that moment when you're making lasagne for dinner and it turns out as shepherd's pie....ugh no, no, no that never happens!

Crafting follows exact recipes yet they can turn out a multitude of different jewels. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. I'd love to see them offer the choice of random (so they can keep what they've already made) or be specific by adding some extra reagents to it or fighting a battle....something....anything to make it specific!

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
At least mighty jewel is 1 in 10 or so, and you only need one per pet.

You tried getting pierce jewels? That's like 1 in 35, and its good to have 3 or more for your rings and athames. Only thing I can say is that at least the incredients for 'pierce' lottery are easier to obtain than titanium.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
Would you be willing to require 50-100 titanium for 1 guaranteed mighty jewel, or take your luck with 10 titanium per lottery ticket? I'd take the guarantee and higher price. Definitely with the pierce jewels too.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
Michael Bluestone on May 21, 2018 wrote:
Would you be willing to require 50-100 titanium for 1 guaranteed mighty jewel, or take your luck with 10 titanium per lottery ticket? I'd take the guarantee and higher price. Definitely with the pierce jewels too.
I'll let KI set the ingredients, but when I craft I want to get a specific thing.