Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Utilitycorns :D

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
Hi Victoria!

Thank you so much for these! It's really a great thing you've done! I'm actively breeding a unicorn and hope to be in touch once I get my unicorn to match yours.

(this is my second attempt at posting a forum post, but it's been over 24 hours so I must have done something odd- it had a question which I hope I've now answered myself - sorry if this ends up with two posts!!)

Thank you again!!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
RillaArcania on Oct 27, 2018 wrote:
Hi Victoria. First, thank you so much for creating the utilitycorns! That's really an amazing thing you've shared with all of us. And thanks for being willing to turn them into corgis, too!

I'm relatively new to hatching, so I would love to run something by you. I already have a corgi, but (given your willingness to hatch corgis), I'm assuming it would be much faster for me not to try to maintain the corgi body while getting my max stat and talent pool? And then work with you, if you're still free, to get the cogi body back? Because otherwise, I'm throwing away about half of my hatches when they turn out to be unicorn bodies. Am I thinking of this correctly? Or is there some major downside I'm not thinking of? I've never hatched with anyone else - just the kiosk, so I may be missing some very salient piece of information! There are so many nuances that I don't want to misunderstand.

Thank you for your advice and help!
~Katie
Hiya RillaArcania, thank you for your kind words and showing interest in the utilitycorns!

Yes, you are right, just ignore the body type for now even though you have a corgi already. Get the stats bars to match the utilitycorn's (255 250 260 260 250) then check if the pool is the same, if not, hatch until it is. If you're happy with lower stats just focus on the pool - the stat bars only affect the percentage of fishing luck, the other talents are set values.

You're likely to end up with a unicorn body so when you're happy with the stats and pool give me a shout on here and we'll meet to hatch and make it into a corgi. My corgis have identical stats and pool to the utilitycorns, so you won't lose any of your hard work, the corgi baby is guaranteed to have the stats and talents

We'll hatch as many times as needed to get the corgi and then we'll hatch the corgis together to make 2 perfect stat/pool corgis. Then you can hatch them together (guaranteeing stats, pool and body type) to make babies to train until you get the perfect combo of manifested talents that you want. You will be able to make as many as you want eg if you have more than one wizard wanting an energy corgi

Give me a shout whenever you're ready, letting me know your wizard's name and your availability (including time zone) and I'll get back to you

Happy hatching, may the odds be ever in your favour lol

Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
Hi Victoria!

Thanks again for all of your help on this! I wanted to check in to let you know I'm still interested - I'm nearly there - pool seems to be identical and stats are nearly there at 255/250/258/256/250. I do want to keep going until I max them. I've been slowed down a bit by gardening to create a source of gold for hatching - but I'm really enjoying the gardening, too.

I also wanted to double check to see if the utilitycorns are still in the kiosk - I've checked a bunch of times since Friday and haven't found any of the three you had listed. I might be having a streak bad timing, but figured I'd double check anyway. :)

Thank you again!!!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
RillaArcania on Nov 18, 2018 wrote:
Hi Victoria!

Thanks again for all of your help on this! I wanted to check in to let you know I'm still interested - I'm nearly there - pool seems to be identical and stats are nearly there at 255/250/258/256/250. I do want to keep going until I max them. I've been slowed down a bit by gardening to create a source of gold for hatching - but I'm really enjoying the gardening, too.

I also wanted to double check to see if the utilitycorns are still in the kiosk - I've checked a bunch of times since Friday and haven't found any of the three you had listed. I might be having a streak bad timing, but figured I'd double check anyway. :)

Thank you again!!!
Hiya! You're doing really well, only a few points to max stat!

Regal Max, Chancellor Chompers and Slim Roscoe are back in the kiosk now, I hadn't noticed they'd come down - thanks for letting me know!

Just in case they're on their timers when you check, I have also put in Lady Sampson and Young Milo. They have the same pool and max stats, I just haven't trained them to mega yet. They're copies of the ones listed in the first post.

Lady Sampson - Reveal Fish, Huge Energy, Ultra Energy
Young Milo - Gardening Pixie, Huge Energy, Ultra Energy

Well done on your gardens too! It's really worth the time it takes to set up a good garden for snacks and gold. I love gardening and I'm glad you're enjoying it too

Sorry for the delay putting the pets back into the kiosk, I'll keep a better eye on them! Give me a shout when you're ready for the corgi body

Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
Hi Victoria!

Thanks again! I am hoping for another piece of advice. I've now maxed the stats, but I realized that although the pool looks relatively steady, when I trace back all traits to my original pet (my corgi), I still have some mysteries. So although my pool looks identical (4,2,3,4,2,4,3,3,3,4) for the past 3 hatches, it's those three pesky Ultra-Rares in a row that stop me from knowing for sure that the pool is correct. I used the Project O data (I love data!) to put my original pet (my original corgi) and Regal max in order, then analyzed each hatch to determine if I got rid of any of the corgi talents. But because I'm only manifesting (up to adult) particular talents, I have no idea if I got rid of some of those original corgi ultra rares.

This is what still has the possibility of being in the pool:

4 Fishing Luck
2 Reveal Fish School
3 Sharp Shot
4 Gold Miner
2 Gardening Pixie
4 Critical Striker
3 Death Ward (manifested once, but about 5 hatches ago)
3 Fire-dealer (never manifested in any hatch)
3 Relentless (never manifested in any hatch)
3 Mana Bounty (never manifested in any hatch)
3 Huge Energy
4 Ultra Energy

Clearly I only have 3 of that streak of 5 Ultra-Rares, but I don't know of a way to tell which.

My assumption is that i should breed my (new) max stat pet one more time, then start training that pet past adult until I get some clarity on which talents are in that chain of Ultra Rares. Although I don't need any of those talents, I also don't want to end up breeding my utilitycorn with your corgi and losing one of the good talents because the pools aren't identical. I'm not excited about training the pet up, just to "fail" because I manifest either the corgi talents that I'm trying to get rid of or the hidden utilitycorn talents, but I'm not sure what the best course of action is.

My lesson learned is that I needed to use a different starting pet when copying a pet out of the kiosk, but hey, that's how you learn. :)

Thank you for your advice!!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
RillaArcania on Nov 22, 2018 wrote:
Hi Victoria!

Thanks again! I am hoping for another piece of advice. I've now maxed the stats, but I realized that although the pool looks relatively steady, when I trace back all traits to my original pet (my corgi), I still have some mysteries. So although my pool looks identical (4,2,3,4,2,4,3,3,3,4) for the past 3 hatches, it's those three pesky Ultra-Rares in a row that stop me from knowing for sure that the pool is correct. I used the Project O data (I love data!) to put my original pet (my original corgi) and Regal max in order, then analyzed each hatch to determine if I got rid of any of the corgi talents. But because I'm only manifesting (up to adult) particular talents, I have no idea if I got rid of some of those original corgi ultra rares.

This is what still has the possibility of being in the pool:

4 Fishing Luck
2 Reveal Fish School
3 Sharp Shot
4 Gold Miner
2 Gardening Pixie
4 Critical Striker
3 Death Ward (manifested once, but about 5 hatches ago)
3 Fire-dealer (never manifested in any hatch)
3 Relentless (never manifested in any hatch)
3 Mana Bounty (never manifested in any hatch)
3 Huge Energy
4 Ultra Energy

Clearly I only have 3 of that streak of 5 Ultra-Rares, but I don't know of a way to tell which.

My assumption is that i should breed my (new) max stat pet one more time, then start training that pet past adult until I get some clarity on which talents are in that chain of Ultra Rares. Although I don't need any of those talents, I also don't want to end up breeding my utilitycorn with your corgi and losing one of the good talents because the pools aren't identical. I'm not excited about training the pet up, just to "fail" because I manifest either the corgi talents that I'm trying to get rid of or the hidden utilitycorn talents, but I'm not sure what the best course of action is.

My lesson learned is that I needed to use a different starting pet when copying a pet out of the kiosk, but hey, that's how you learn. :)

Thank you for your advice!!
Don't worry! If you'll feel more confident by hatching it one more time before we meet then it's fine, but unnecessary!

You've got the max stats and the pool LOOKS right...this is EXCELLENT WORK!!! Well done and be proud of your achievement!

We can make sure the pool is good together using our corgi hatches - it could take a few hatches to get the body anyway. The most important thing is that you have and retain the utility talents. It's best if the pool is identical so you don't need to check the pool of any additional corgis you make for your other wizards...but if the pool turns out to be non-identical we can fix it

It would be useful to know what talents your between pets have manifested, particularly the last couple. If you don't have them still or don't know, it's still going to be fine. It would be good for us to establish whether huge energy is definitely in pool since it's a really important one

Anyway...let me know your wizard's name and your usual availability (include time zone) so we can arrange to meet in game. Also, what level of chat do you have in game? If you're on menu chat we'll have to discuss things on here so keep checking back for info or questions about the hatches/pool etc...but if you have text or open we can easily communicate any of that in game

When I have your name (so I know who to look out for) and usual availability I will post a time I am able to meet when you're usually on and I'll be in Dworgyn hatchery at that time until we successfully connect

PS I don't know which wizard I will be on because it depends who has a free timer...I can't say no when someone asks for a hatch!

Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
Hi Victoria,

Thanks so much! I did end up breeding one more time, and it happened that Huge Energy was the one that manifested, so that answered that question!

My current main wizard is Abigail Dragonsinger, although the wizard I'm breeding my pets on is Rowan Daisyweaver. I do have regular chat unlocked and I'm in EST timezone. On the weekends, my playing is sporadic - depending on what other RL things are going on, but if it's a quiet weekend, I can be on at any time. During the week, it depends on when I get back from work - sometimes I am on at 7pm EST or later, and I also log on briefly sometimes between 6:30am-7am to quickly tend my garden before leaving for work, but I think from prior posts that you've said you're in GMT? Given the time difference does it make sense to try to plan something for this coming weekend, especially given the built in delays of using the forums? For this weekend, I won't be available past 6pm on Saturday (Dec 1), but otherwise can be available Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks so much for all of your help!! I really appreciate it.

~Rilla

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
RillaArcania on Nov 26, 2018 wrote:
Hi Victoria,

Thanks so much! I did end up breeding one more time, and it happened that Huge Energy was the one that manifested, so that answered that question!

My current main wizard is Abigail Dragonsinger, although the wizard I'm breeding my pets on is Rowan Daisyweaver. I do have regular chat unlocked and I'm in EST timezone. On the weekends, my playing is sporadic - depending on what other RL things are going on, but if it's a quiet weekend, I can be on at any time. During the week, it depends on when I get back from work - sometimes I am on at 7pm EST or later, and I also log on briefly sometimes between 6:30am-7am to quickly tend my garden before leaving for work, but I think from prior posts that you've said you're in GMT? Given the time difference does it make sense to try to plan something for this coming weekend, especially given the built in delays of using the forums? For this weekend, I won't be available past 6pm on Saturday (Dec 1), but otherwise can be available Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks so much for all of your help!! I really appreciate it.

~Rilla
Woohooo! That's awesome that huge energy popped!

We'll just keep an eye on the pool to make sure it doesn't change when we move it to a corgi, just in case one of the ultra-rares is different, but they're likely a perfect copy

I'm GMT so only 5 hours ahead, which is easy to accommodate. I should add you to my Balance and Death babies...I'm questing them atm so will be on them most. They also both have good hatcher corgis

Unless you post differently...I'll go to Dworgyn hatchery on Saturday at 1pm EST (6pm GMT) and again at the same time Sunday if anything goes wrong Saturday. It's not likely to go wrong, but without real time messaging either of us could have real life mess up wizarding lol.

I'll look out for you on Rowan Daisyweaver; I'll be on Sestiva Nightriver or Olivia Dreamblossom

If this is all good for you too, click charm on this so I know you've seen it

See you soon!

Geographer
Sep 30, 2018
Ah i don't think stats really affect utility pets according to wiki central its already at a flat maximum at birth.
So yea Good luck on those pets tho. Nice that you're out here helping the community fam.
angellifeheart106

Survivor
May 30, 2016
Hi Victoria,

I just wanted to pop in to say that I've learnt more about pets and hatching from your posts than anything else I've ever read.

And for the first time (in Wizards*), I'm excited to look at my pets and actually train them. Not only does a utility pet sound like a fabulous thing, I'm curious to know how good my other pets are.

Thank you so much!!!

(*Caveat, I love pets in Pirates)

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
angellifeheart on Nov 27, 2018 wrote:
Ah i don't think stats really affect utility pets according to wiki central its already at a flat maximum at birth.
So yea Good luck on those pets tho. Nice that you're out here helping the community fam.
angellifeheart106
Reasons behind the max stat utility pets:

1. Fishing luck talents ARE affected by stats
2. All wizards can find a utility pet helpful, but making it max stat it also gives every wizard someone owns a max stat pet to start them off.
3. I've explained elsewhere how to use Smelly Hannah (bloodbat) to make a helpful base pet for starting any completely new project - using a max stat utility pet that is already useful to the wizard can be a useful route to do this.
4. We have no idea what additional utilities KI will introduce. If stats affect them then adding the talent to a max stat pool is beneficial.
5. Corgi hatches are on offer to anyone even if they have not made a copy of the utilitycorn pool and stats, as long as they will be happy with the pet they end up with.
6. I find people are more likely to turn up for hatches and make use of the pet we make together when they have already put in some effort and are enthusiastic, the corgis we make are also more helpful for when they go out and share with the wizarding community in general too.

There may be other reasons too, but I hope this helps explain some of the thought behind this project

Happy hatching!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
moira balances on Nov 27, 2018 wrote:
Hi Victoria,

I just wanted to pop in to say that I've learnt more about pets and hatching from your posts than anything else I've ever read.

And for the first time (in Wizards*), I'm excited to look at my pets and actually train them. Not only does a utility pet sound like a fabulous thing, I'm curious to know how good my other pets are.

Thank you so much!!!

(*Caveat, I love pets in Pirates)
THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

I really appreciate your kind words and it makes me really happy to know the time I take making posts and explaining things is helpful! It's really encouraging to get such lovely feedback! Thank you for taking the time to write this post to me

If you ever have any questions or want help with pets I am always happy to help in whatever ways I can! I'm glad you've found an excitement for pet-making and I hope you make some real beauties that you totally love!

Give me a shout any time!

Happy hatching!

Survivor
Jul 26, 2010
Hi Victoria!
Thanks for meeting me on Saturday and I'm sorry we missed each other on Sunday. I have a follow up advice question. I took the corgi from our hatch (yay!) and bred it with the parent unicorn to see if I could get another corgi. I got a unicorn, but with a different pedigree number but same 4/2/3/4/2//4/3/3/3/4 pattern and of course same max stats. So both parents had the same 4/2/3/4/2/4/3/3/3/4 pattern, and both had a 77 pedigree, just like the utilitycorns. But when I bred them together, I got an identical pattern (4/2/3/4/2/4/3/3/3/4) but a pedigree score of 80. I keep pretty careful records but I really don't understand pedigree scores at all. Should my next step be to breed this new (80) pet a few times in the kiosk with Regal Max to try to get the odd URs out, then breed with your corgi one more time to ensure we're getting the right pool? Or raise this one as if it is fine and hope the Huge Energy talent stayed?
Thanks for your advice and all of your help!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
RillaArcania on Dec 4, 2018 wrote:
Hi Victoria!
Thanks for meeting me on Saturday and I'm sorry we missed each other on Sunday. I have a follow up advice question. I took the corgi from our hatch (yay!) and bred it with the parent unicorn to see if I could get another corgi. I got a unicorn, but with a different pedigree number but same 4/2/3/4/2//4/3/3/3/4 pattern and of course same max stats. So both parents had the same 4/2/3/4/2/4/3/3/3/4 pattern, and both had a 77 pedigree, just like the utilitycorns. But when I bred them together, I got an identical pattern (4/2/3/4/2/4/3/3/3/4) but a pedigree score of 80. I keep pretty careful records but I really don't understand pedigree scores at all. Should my next step be to breed this new (80) pet a few times in the kiosk with Regal Max to try to get the odd URs out, then breed with your corgi one more time to ensure we're getting the right pool? Or raise this one as if it is fine and hope the Huge Energy talent stayed?
Thanks for your advice and all of your help!
Hiya,

Check the derby talents! It's possible they had not copied fully and you've ended up with a slightly different combo...but they don't matter for our purposes

I wouldn't bother training the new unicorn - we need you to get 2 corgis and there isn't any real benefit to it. Sorry we missed each other on Sunday, I wasn't available at our time and have been watching out for you online since! We'll just hatch again corgi to corgi, lmk if you want to set a time (just tell me when suits, I'll charm it when I see it and we'll meet in Dworgyn realm hatchery again) or catch me in game - whatever is easiest for you or quickest. If you post a time then see me online just grab me online!

Trying again with Regal Max works but to guarantee a corgi we can hatch again...either will get you there so whichever is fastest/easiest but please know I'm happy to hatch and looking out for you online! I was gutted to be unavailable until later on Sunday...if I could put the corgi in the kiosk it would have been there from the start!

Catch up asap for parent #2 hatch

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Just a wee reminder to anyone wanting to hatch with a corgi to post here

Happy fishing, gardening and pet training!