Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chat levels

AuthorMessage
Defender
Nov 19, 2009
Hey how about they add what chat level you have to the friends list. I am always asking friends things in open chat and I have gotten so many of them saying "what?" Like I said something in another language. I would like to know if a person has text chat or open chat just by looking at my friends list. Should be a chat Icon much like how it would show next to their badge in the friends list next to their name.

What does the wizard community think?

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Maycast on Feb 24, 2018 wrote:
Hey how about they add what chat level you have to the friends list. I am always asking friends things in open chat and I have gotten so many of them saying "what?" Like I said something in another language. I would like to know if a person has text chat or open chat just by looking at my friends list. Should be a chat Icon much like how it would show next to their badge in the friends list next to their name.

I think it would be a good addition.

I personally think there should be a way for people to get Open Chat on their account even if they said they were 12 or younger when they made it. Those people are going to be suffering forever because they were honest about their age, while people who lie are rewarded with Open Chat.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Much rather they updated the current chat system to those unable to ascertain open chat and have cleared backgrounds checks from KI allowing them to have features of open chat.

They could call it "Ultra Chat" or something. It'd just serves as a substitute to those who are being punished by the current awful chat system for doing nothing wrong.

Survivor
Jan 26, 2018
Maycast on Feb 24, 2018 wrote:

You can see what chat they have by looking at their avatar when you're next to them. If it shows a bubble, it means they have 13+ chat. If it shows nothing, it means they have 18+ open chat. If it shows a bubble with it crossed out, it means they only have access to menu chat.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
What I think is that there should only be open chat. People are always getting around the chat filters and then are being reported. Why not just allow them to say the word normally and then get them reported. Most innapropriate words and not allowed through open chat anyways. I understand the many issues with this but it is such a pain to deal with.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
In my limited understanding the issues surrounding chat come down to 2 key factors - the E10 age rating and liability.

To have the E10 rating KI have to follow rules set out to protect younger players and enable levels of parental control. KI don't make these rules and if they don't follow them they will lose their E10 rating. If they don't have their E10 rating KI lose their unique selling point - an MMO suitable for children.

Now liability. KI are not allowed to store information on children under a certain age. That means they only know someone was younger than that age when they started an account. It doesn't say by how many years. If someone was under 12 when they started an account 9 years ago technically they could be any age between 9-20 now. Logically they are going to be significantly older than 9 - I don't think many babies are making accounts lol.

So KI could implement a system for someone to prove they were under 12 when they started the account but are now over 18 BUT if they did that and anyone under 18 got through they could be liable. Why spend money on a system that could leave them open to criticism or bad press if something goes wrong?

The way they have it leaves some players unable to ever get open chat but keeps KI in line with E10 guidelines and free of accountability or criticism if anyone exploits their game for nefarious purposes.

I'm not sure KI could change things without excessive costs, higher liability and a risk of losing their E10 rating.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Just realised my post was more to do with the direction of the replies than the original post!

Yes I agree that having a way to see if someone is open text or chat text when you're about to send them a whisper would be very very helpful! I can never remember either and there is no way to tell unless you can literally see them in game to see their chat bubble above their head. It would be helpful to know if they can see numbers and yellow words without having to ask them to remind you or waiting for them to tell you they can't read half of what you're writing

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Sorry, do to the Child Protection Law for online gaming. This can not be allowed to those under 18 and more restricted chat to those under 13. KI would lose their licence as being an online family game of all ages if any violation takes place.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
BrahmShadow on Feb 24, 2018 wrote:
I think it would be a good addition.

I personally think there should be a way for people to get Open Chat on their account even if they said they were 12 or younger when they made it. Those people are going to be suffering forever because they were honest about their age, while people who lie are rewarded with Open Chat.
I actually just emailed Kingsisle asking why they don't just flat out tell people in the FAQ that an age under 12 will never allow an account to get Open Chat, and this is what they said: "I would guess one of the reasons, is because if you warned people entering their correct date of birth could result in not being able to access Open Chat (5+ years later), it would result in people not entering their real date of birth."

... as if people don't already do this. I still don't understand why they think it's worth being truthful, if it means you're going to be suffering forever with Text Chat.

Defender
Nov 19, 2009
This was never about getting open chat to whom doesn't already have it, but I appreciate The replies about open chat. I was simply making a post saying it would be a nice feature to see if a player has open chat just by looking at the friends list. Such as a indicator or maybe some text saying something like

-Open chat
-Text chat
-Menu Chat

Or Perhaps the same Bubble instead which is next to a players badge next to a players name in the friends list as a indicator of their chat level.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Maycast on Feb 26, 2018 wrote:
This was never about getting open chat to whom doesn't already have it, but I appreciate The replies about open chat. I was simply making a post saying it would be a nice feature to see if a player has open chat just by looking at the friends list. Such as a indicator or maybe some text saying something like

-Open chat
-Text chat
-Menu Chat

Or Perhaps the same Bubble instead which is next to a players badge next to a players name in the friends list as a indicator of their chat level.
I agree something like that woud be nice. I just believe that this can be totally avoided by changing the chatting system.