Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Random Acts Of Kindness.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 18, 2013
hello all,
This is a message too all the wizards who like gift nice things to other people from the crown shop.
There is nothing wrong about making someones day a little better with a gift from your pocket!
it makes the person feel Liked and appreciated or even a nice little pick me them up gifting is a wonderful way to
Show your appreciation for another wizard or just to be really nice

Under the right circumstance
you got to be careful who you gift too or they MIGHT take advantage of your kindness for personal gain
If the wizard you gifted a nice gift to you acts Incredibly nice to you don't always take it for them showing their appreciation for you they might want more from you, never give in to these wizards.
Never Ever, don't be a victim of these awful people or else it will be your own fault

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
bloodpaw173 on Feb 22, 2018 wrote:
hello all,
This is a message too all the wizards who like gift nice things to other people from the crown shop.
There is nothing wrong about making someones day a little better with a gift from your pocket!
it makes the person feel Liked and appreciated or even a nice little pick me them up gifting is a wonderful way to
Show your appreciation for another wizard or just to be really nice

Under the right circumstance
you got to be careful who you gift too or they MIGHT take advantage of your kindness for personal gain
If the wizard you gifted a nice gift to you acts Incredibly nice to you don't always take it for them showing their appreciation for you they might want more from you, never give in to these wizards.
Never Ever, don't be a victim of these awful people or else it will be your own fault
On the other side of that coin, let me say that being gifted for no reason can make people very uncomfortable. This happened to me and made me wonder just what that wizard wanted in return.
Under no circumstances would I say "Gift a stranger." Gifting a friend that you've known for a while is different.

Survivor
Dec 18, 2013
anecorbie on Feb 22, 2018 wrote:
On the other side of that coin, let me say that being gifted for no reason can make people very uncomfortable. This happened to me and made me wonder just what that wizard wanted in return.
Under no circumstances would I say "Gift a stranger." Gifting a friend that you've known for a while is different.

Let me reiterate

it's called a random act of kindness, i mean you don't have to gift all the time, its just a nice gesture lol.
also it can work in mutual exchange like getting carried or vise versa.

And that was nice of him or her to do so, and it doesn't have to be a seadragon or anything like that, a 40c lore pack is the way to go

-i'm Not Cool

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
My thoughts on gifting:

I think a fair way to look at it is by looking at who bought the crowns. If your parents bought them for you then you are essentially re-gifting when you gift. They might be okay with you giving a friend an energy elixir to finish their pet, but would they approve of you gifting a mount? Probably not. They gave you the crowns for you, not for anyone else. Gifting is never necessary and no-one should make you feel like you have to gift or that you owe them if they gifted you.

I never feel bad for receiving a gift. I assume the person can afford to gift and want me to enjoy whatever they gave me. I don't owe them because of it but always thank them and let them know what I did with it. I like it when people I've gifted say thank you so I know they got it.

I buy my own crowns. When I gift I never expect anything back, there are never strings attached. I'd hate for anyone I gifted to feel they owed me. It makes me happy to see someone able to finish a pet, keep fishing for that epic fish, be able to fix a gardening mistake or help someone with a hatch because I gifted them the energy or reset timer elixir. It only costs me a few cents to see them happy at achieving something, which makes me happy too

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Lets talk about act of Kindness. It's true that kindness goes a long ways to show appreciation or a thank you. There's nothing wrong with that. But kindness can easily backfire on you if you show it to the wrong person one too many times. some people are known to take advantage of your kindness by repeatedly asking you for gifts, treasure cards, ask for your help to fight bosses and quest with them in the means to use you as a shield or increase their game play without returning the favor. That's what happened to me when I showed my kindness to the wrong people. The point is, be careful who you show your kindness to and get to know them a little first.

Stay save wizards!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Some of us already might -- sometimes and if we spot someone who might appreciate it and not turn into a scammer or gift addict from that point onward -- maybe on certain holidays for instance??

Please though people, don't go around friending people only to ask for them to give you money (crowns shop takes real money), or from then on message them for urgent help when you could've asked them to help you in battle ahead of time. That's kind of obnoxious.

This has been a public service announcement............

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
anecorbie on Feb 22, 2018 wrote:
That is a fair point but the person could simply say "no strings attached, and if you want, you can unfriend me right afterward," or unfriend the person themselves right afterward. Then there's no way there's any strings attached.

I would recommend probably trying to make sure the giftee is adult though for this type of reason...teaching kids to accept gifts from strangers...not a great idea.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
It seems I must go in-depth with my response about gifting a stranger; in my situation, I was given a gift immediately after friending someone - and not just a pack or potion, but an expensive gear item.
But there are hundreds of ways to show kindness in this game without the need to spend money on a player.
1. Compliment them ( cool name, an outfit that looks good, unusual pet ), just spread some sunshine!
2. Hatch a pet with someone who doesn't have a strong pet with "desired" powers.
3. Stick up for someone being bullied by telling them how to use the "Ignore" function.
4. Help someone with a dungeon - and treat them considerately!
And finally, Just Be Nice!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
We all have to find a balance of being kind but not being a mug, not just in game but irl too. I think the key is expectation and recognising that we can only control our own expectation. This influences how we feel about things.

Thanks to KI giving us symbols for friends we can easily keep tabs on relationships with others in game.

When it comes to helping wizards I don't know well, I use symbols so I know the relationship quickly and easily. If I gift a random low level an elixir I will know, likewise if I gave tc or time. Random elixirs I usually add, gift then remove. It's easier that way and they can message to tell me how their pet went etc if they want to, but I have no expectation of further contact. I go away happy they get what they wanted/needed to progress. I feel happy

For tc or help I usually keep them on my list but if they become annoying - eg always asking for help the moment I log in and my screen isn't even loaded yet lol - I just remove them. Many have become friends though and I help them occasionally with a dungeon, hatches or giving some spare tc. Seeing them achieve is fun and makes me happy too

I think we have to be careful not to be too careful! Most wizards are nice people and fun to spend time with so only give what you can afford to without expectation and enjoy the nice things and friendships that come your way when neither of you expect more than the other is comfortable with. I've even had it where a newbie I helped has surpassed me and been keen to help me out with a dungeon I couldn't have done alone!

I made almost all of my friends because one or other of us helped each other at some point. The balance of them helping me or me helping them is probably about 50/50.

TLDR:
Most people are nice
Don't give what you can't afford to give freely
A friend is a gift you give yourself by not being so afraid you are closed to them

Have fun!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
anecorbie on Feb 26, 2018 wrote:
It seems I must go in-depth with my response about gifting a stranger; in my situation, I was given a gift immediately after friending someone - and not just a pack or potion, but an expensive gear item.
But there are hundreds of ways to show kindness in this game without the need to spend money on a player.
1. Compliment them ( cool name, an outfit that looks good, unusual pet ), just spread some sunshine!
2. Hatch a pet with someone who doesn't have a strong pet with "desired" powers.
3. Stick up for someone being bullied by telling them how to use the "Ignore" function.
"It seems I must go in depth"

Not for my sake -- I understood from your prior post that you had been gifted right after someone friended you. You clearly juxtaposed gifting someone you just met vs. someone you had known a while, with the latter being preferable while the former was sketchy.

I was just pointing out that the person who gifts someone they just met isn't necessarily sketchy.

"Compliment them"

I would feel icky complimenting people in most situations though, so this just illustrates how we are all different.

"Hatch a pet with someone"

It's easier for me to get crowns and buy someone new a gift to help them get started, than it would be to shell out 40,000 gold a try for hatch attempts.

"Stick up for someone being bullied"

I already do.

"Help someone - treat them considerately"

I already do.

"Just be nice"

I am.

Just pointing out that gifting someone doesn't mean anything sketchy, and if anyone is suspicious, just unfriend and block the person.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
My opinion on gifting is that it should be done randomly. I don't approve of people trading a gift for a pet hatch or for helping. Pet hatching and helping should be included in those acts of kindness that are not rewarded. The best times for gifting are those random ones and that's because you are doing it only for the purpose of being kind, no other motives. You can never be too kind.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
anecorbie on Feb 26, 2018 wrote:
Did they ask you for anything in return or get weird with you after gifting? If the answer is yes, you can delete, ignore or report depending on what they say/do. If the answer is no, they could just be giving you something they think you'll enjoy, no strings attached

I've gifted mastery to quite a few people who I've seen playing in such a way that it would benefit them. It's a more expensive item but it's all relative. An energy elixir gives someone 30 mins more time fishing; mastery can give them more fun every time they play that wizard.

I never ask for anything in return and they can remove me any time they want, I really don't mind. I loved having storm mastery on my life wizard for when she was hitting and a few of my wizards have life mastery for if they want to be able to heal. It's fun

Survivor
Dec 18, 2013
Explorer
Jul 12, 2016
frostednutella on Feb 27, 2018 wrote:
My opinion on gifting is that it should be done randomly. I don't approve of people trading a gift for a pet hatch or for helping. Pet hatching and helping should be included in those acts of kindness that are not rewarded. The best times for gifting are those random ones and that's because you are doing it only for the purpose of being kind, no other motives. You can never be too kind.
it's the thing to do to help other players quest. being nice is how you make friends. to me, someone's appreciation is a nice enough of a reward for stuff like aiding their survival in hard skirmishes that aren't PVP