Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Unable to use open chat, fulfill requirements.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 26, 2009
I've had my kingsisle account ever since 2009 and I inserted my true birthday (February 12, 2000) and have always been pestered by restricted chat access. I am now 18, and decided to give the game another try because I would finally have access to open chat. That was a mistake, I'm still stuck with text chat and it's incredibly tedious to hold a conversation. I'm fine without using profanity or slang words, but the game's dictionary is so humble, a lot of words aren't in there and it's just a real pain. Before you ask, yes I have a subscription active with a credit card.

There is an account linked as parental control, but it's really just me because I had to make that account in order to add an online subscription though a credit card. I have contacted support but there has been no response for over a week..

Any help would be appreciated, honestly.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
DaveTheBat on Feb 15, 2018 wrote:
I've had my kingsisle account ever since 2009 and I inserted my true birthday (February 12, 2000) and have always been pestered by restricted chat access. I am now 18, and decided to give the game another try because I would finally have access to open chat. That was a mistake, I'm still stuck with text chat and it's incredibly tedious to hold a conversation. I'm fine without using profanity or slang words, but the game's dictionary is so humble, a lot of words aren't in there and it's just a real pain. Before you ask, yes I have a subscription active with a credit card.

There is an account linked as parental control, but it's really just me because I had to make that account in order to add an online subscription though a credit card. I have contacted support but there has been no response for over a week..

Any help would be appreciated, honestly.
Here's a copy of one of my posts:
It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait.

HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally.

Contrary to popular belief, when making an account, nowhere does Kingsisle ever ask you when your actual birthday is; they only ask you for your age. Because you made your account in 2009 (so you probably put 9 as your age), then your account will never get Open Chat...

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
It would be nice to see KI upgrade the text chat system to those members who are unable to get Open Chat to something at least close to it, calling it Elite Chat or something. All would be required in addition to being 18+ is applicants passing a successful background check to see if they had any past running's with KI.

If not, then they'll be granted the chat and able to communicate freely as if they had open chat.

I agree, it is tediously annoying!

It wasn't this bad though, but because the chat system was often abused, the good now must suffer for the bad.

Quite unfair.

But, try emailing again.

Do you have access to your master account? It should be possible to alter Open Chat Settings there.

Survivor
Feb 26, 2009
So they finally replied and I did some research of my own.

I did in fact list my account as under 13 and so it was impossible to get open chat from the beginning. It's understandable that they are just following federal regulations from Congress but there are many legal workarounds for this. Take into play, account age. My account was made in 2009 as stated above and well.. it's a long time. A makeshift solution would be that accounts that have existed for over 10 years should be allowed to use open chat. It would not be ideal since KI promotes a family friendly orientation and there's still an off chance that a minor would have access to open chat. But looking at the big picture, people fake their age all the time and a solution to that hasn't been offered.