Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I don't have the open chat option

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
So, i'm over 18 and i can't see the open chat option. The option isn't there.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
dean154545 on Feb 15, 2018 wrote:
So, i'm over 18 and i can't see the open chat option. The option isn't there.
Here's a copy of one of my posts:

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait.

HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2018
Presuming you've made a purchase to unlock this option with Paypal or a bank card, have you changed it in the settings online? Log in online and click "My Accounts" on the left, then Parental Controls. Make sure Open Chat is ticked.

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
BrahmShadow on Feb 15, 2018 wrote:
Here's a copy of one of my posts:

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait.

HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally.
well. I made this account 10 years ago. And i used my legit birthday. so i guess that explains it. so what now? email KI ID proof that i'm over 18?

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
dean154545 on Feb 16, 2018 wrote:
well. I made this account 10 years ago. And i used my legit birthday. so i guess that explains it. so what now? email KI ID proof that i'm over 18?
That won't work. They claim it's also illegal for them to change your age, so you're stuck with Text Chat forever... unless you start over on another account.

Survivor
Jan 26, 2018
BrahmShadow on Feb 16, 2018 wrote:
That won't work. They claim it's also illegal for them to change your age, so you're stuck with Text Chat forever... unless you start over on another account.
There's still a way he can do it. But it will cost major cash, unless Kingsisle is more generous than they already are. He can create an account, then buy both of them year long memberships and ask for a wizard transfer. That's the only possible way of getting open chat. If you're not willing to do so, then you're stuck with Text Chat.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
DeathDefyinDemon on Feb 16, 2018 wrote:
There's still a way he can do it. But it will cost major cash, unless Kingsisle is more generous than they already are. He can create an account, then buy both of them year long memberships and ask for a wizard transfer. That's the only possible way of getting open chat. If you're not willing to do so, then you're stuck with Text Chat.
You're right, I completely forgot about this other option. It just seems like such a waste of money to me, since the account with Text Chat probably will not be used once the transfer is done. I really wish Kingsisle would add another way for people to get Open Chat who put 12 or younger, without having to spend over $100 just to transfer their characters.