Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Muting the Innocent wizards!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 02, 2013
I have a friend that was muted the other day by a Hall monitor. My friend didn't do or say anything out of hand and was muted for 24 hours! I don't think wizard101 should give permission to those who mute persons for no good reason. It might have been temporary, but still no one would want to be muted at all.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
What you consider "out of hand" may differ from what the hall monitor may consider to be so.

Did your friend:

Curse?
Speak around the filters?
Troll?
Caps Lock Spam?
Ask personal information?

Also, your friend if he/she insists he/she was muted in vain, they can query this directly through email.

support@wizard101.com

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I, for one, appreciate the monitoring that goes on in this game. There are too many children playing and you never know who you're standing next to. I'm an older player and have been called names simply because I didn't want to talk to and be friends with every person who walked by me. You may not think your friend did anything wrong and you may be disgruntled if you choose but there have to be standards. You may be lucky you didn't get muted yourself.

Alexis lvl 23 Storm.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
icewizeleesha on Dec 14, 2017 wrote:
I have a friend that was muted the other day by a Hall monitor. My friend didn't do or say anything out of hand and was muted for 24 hours! I don't think wizard101 should give permission to those who mute persons for no good reason. It might have been temporary, but still no one would want to be muted at all.
I think it depends somewhat on perspective.... You and your friend may not think that anything wrong was said, but was the situation being escalated by you being there? Was your friend egging someone on or otherwise causing hate and discontent?

- I don't know. I wasn't there, but often times I find that to be the case. Even if not and there was a true "abuse of power" or whatever then contacting support I feel would be the best solution with a screenshot of what is said and whatnot would be best. Not complaining on the message boards as only really two things will happen.

People agree with you or people don't. Regardless nothing really becomes of it.

Also keep in mind that it is Kings Isle's game so you need to play by their rules if you want to play....

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
icewizeleesha on Dec 14, 2017 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that a Hall Monitor would mute someone who "didn't do or say anything out of hand", obviously he/she did say something that merited a 24 hr. muting.
He/she also didn't say anything that merited a permanent muting or ban, but they should watch what they say from now on.
I'm on the side of KI and the Hall Monitors on this subject.

Survivor
Apr 15, 2014
Were you actually there when you're friend was muted? Personally, I agree with you but Wizard101 (*Cough Cough* Kingsisle *cough cough*) wouldn't just give random people permission to do this. You'd have to be trusted. Also, if you weren't there when your friend got muted then its likely they said something rude. THEN talk to Kingsisle if it's still an issue. I'm watching

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
If your friend was speaking around filters, even if what they said was relatively harmless, that is still a violation. If they gave out numbers or personal information, that is a violation. If they "cursed" while in battle or in the commons area, even if it wasn't directed towards anyone, that is a violation.

Just because they think it wasn't 'wrong,' doesn't mean they didn't violate terms of service.

A 24 hour muting is actually quite mild in terms of consequences, but hopefully will be enough to make your friend think twice before doing that again.

If they are truly and absolutely convinced that the muting was unjustified, they can open a ticket with support to get clarification on what happened and/or have their case reviewed.

Alia Misthaven

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
as someone who was around when hall monitors were implemented (and was part of the player movement that saw them added to the game), i know only that you cannot apply to be a hm. they were/are handpicked by kingsisle, which gives me a good idea as to 3 of the prerequisites:

1) must be18 or older
2) must have open chat
3) must have a clean record, both on the forums and in-game.

(i don't work for kingsisle, so this is purely speculation.)

i have a very difficult time believing that an hm would abuse kingsisle's trust, as s/he'd be risking his or her own account by doing so. therefore, i can say with absolute certainty that your friend violated the terms of use in some way.

-von

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
None of us can know what happened either way. Star Edward gave good advice if the friend feels they were wrongly acted against.

I can't believe some things I hear in the Commons though!