Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Membership or Unlocking places with crowns?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 02, 2013
I've met persons on wizard101 that prefer using crowns to unlock worlds and the places in those worlds and I've met persons that say membership is way better. I'm kinda uncertain right now which side to choose. Any advice?

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
It's honestly personal preference

Crown players own a area, Member players borrow a area

As a crown player, it doesn't matter how long you're away, you'll still own every single area.. from what I read from a Reddit post Wizardcity to Polaris is $270.00... it sounds expensive, but you'll own every area, as long as Wizard101 remains alive

Membership however you borrow the entire game, and once your membership runs dry, you're basically prisoned back in Wizardcity until you afford a new membership, which KingsIsle tries to lure you into getting membership with perks

Why don't crown players get perks? Because after you bought all the areas, you are no longer a source of income, while KI is sure to get at least $10 by a membership player once a month

How should I spend my money then?
Again personal preference, if you play daily and continuously, go member, if you rarely play, as like 10 days of a 30 day month, I would be buying areas

Though what "I" would do, is buy all of Wizardcity, all the "Commons" of every world, and any major farmy/needed area... Being Aquila's 3 dungeons, the balance school in kroktopia, darkmoor, morganthe's chamber, the area with Omen, Tower of the Helephant, the area with Halfang (have friends go to these areas, you port and buy) and then continue to use membership, just so if it runs out, you can still do stuff and not sit in the Commons, and while your membership is out, you can continue to help everyone because you own the major dungeons

Hopefully this helped clear it up

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
icewizeleesha on Dec 12, 2017 wrote:
I've met persons on wizard101 that prefer using crowns to unlock worlds and the places in those worlds and I've met persons that say membership is way better. I'm kinda uncertain right now which side to choose. Any advice?
I pay for a monthly membership. My children have all purchased access with crowns.

The upside is that I have constant access, special member's only items (crown shop deals, larger backpack, shorter pet hatch times) and all for only $14/month (both Wiz and Pirate). However, I'm playing Wizards a little every day.

The downside is that I'm spending $168/year and if I stop paying, I am once again limited to Wizard City.

The upside to crown area purchases. My kids are not paying a monthly fee and have constant access to the areas purchased. Whenever they log on they can play to their hearts content in any of their purchased areas.

The downside, I'm only paying $6.99 / month for each site. My kids are laying out $60 at a crack to purchase crowns. I've bought extra crowns maybe 5 times since I started playing again. My daughter is stuck at Dragonspyre because due to a recent move she doesn't have the available funds to start purchasing Celestia. And I have NO idea how much they'e spent over the time they've been playing.

So it depends on how you want to spend your money and how much time you'll be playing.

Large chunks of cash all at once or small monthly payments?
Do you want to rent or own?
Do you want the special members only benefits?

There's my two-cents worth

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
Membership for me, but I'd advise buying access to a lot of areas you'd like to have when you're unable to renew during certain months. Places like Darkmoor, Mirror Lake, Vestrilund farming locations, etc. That leaves you with plenty to do during some off time if for whatever reason you have to cancel membership for a while. The perks and benefits of being a member far outweigh any long-term value you may or may not get from buying areas individually, in my opinion. I am also willing to support KingsIsle in this regard because I think they're a great company and I'd like to see Wizard kept alive for as long as possible. Sometimes decisions should be made more on principle than based on a dollar amount.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
If I had it to do over again I would purchase areas with crowns.

The main benefit of membership is more room in backpack, things like that.

If you travel light and just want to play, get the crowns areas.