Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Returning Dad can't remember what I was doing...

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
I have this level 52 life wizard that hasn't been played for a couple years. When I logged on, he was at a tower in Mooshu but had access to worlds up to Celestia. No idea what to do. I went back to Wizard City and looked for new quests and found one that sent me to a tower that had a "Team Up" option. I've gone solo the whole time up to this point and figured what the heck, I don't need no stinking team :) Maybe I do...
Anyway, how can one backtrack and figure out where they were in the flow of the game? I have a number of quests and have tried two of them and they both led to a 45 min. dungeon with a Boss that pretty much can't be killed by myself since they have unlimited spells (at least 20 dispel life spells in one fight). Any advice appreciated.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Noquid on Dec 12, 2017 wrote:
I have this level 52 life wizard that hasn't been played for a couple years. When I logged on, he was at a tower in Mooshu but had access to worlds up to Celestia. No idea what to do. I went back to Wizard City and looked for new quests and found one that sent me to a tower that had a "Team Up" option. I've gone solo the whole time up to this point and figured what the heck, I don't need no stinking team :) Maybe I do...
Anyway, how can one backtrack and figure out where they were in the flow of the game? I have a number of quests and have tried two of them and they both led to a 45 min. dungeon with a Boss that pretty much can't be killed by myself since they have unlimited spells (at least 20 dispel life spells in one fight). Any advice appreciated.
First, Welcome Back from one returning Dad to another.

I returned to the game last year (after a six year hiatus) and found myself in nearly the same situation.

There a few options;
1: There is a way to review ALL of the dialogue on the quests that are currently in your queue. I don't have the game running so I'm not sure on how to access the dialogue review (any help?)

2: Make a list of your current quests and ask us here on the boards for some help. Alternatively, you can Google search the quests and you should get your answers from any of the numerous fan sites out there.

3: You can table your Level 52 Life and start another Wizard from scratch to re-acclimate yourself to the game. There have been a LOT of changes in the intervening years (new spells, new equipment, pets). I had no choice as my youngest had inherited (read completely taken over the old family account) and was stuck with this option, though it did afford me the opportunity to re-learn what I had forgotten.

One word of advice with the Jade Oni (Mooshu's last boss), as a Life Wizard at level 52 you will NOT be able to solo it due to his 90% resistance. You should be able to stalemate him until you run out of cards but not win. You'll need someone who can hit for damage.

So, Welcome back. We'll be glad to help in any way that we can. (the folks here on the boards are SUPER nice). If you do decide you want some team-up help, Look me up. I'd be happy to run with you.

Steven Ghoststalker (Returned Dad)

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Hi and welcome back!

There have been some changes to our quest logs. If you open up 'the book' on your lower right screen when playing, you'll see the list of quests you have accepted. There may be one or two with a gold band and stars on them. These are "Main Quests," the main storyline quests that will advance you in the game. All others are side quests and considered optional, though often it's to your benefit to go ahead and finish them.

The world your wizard made it into, Celestia, is considered the beginning of the 'second arc' of the game. You saved the Spiral from Malestaire in Dragonspyre at level 50, and that was the end of the 'first arc' (levels 1-50). Arc two is for levels 50-100, roughly, and features a new villain, Morganthe.

The world of Celestia and all worlds afterwards have a new battle mechanic called "Critical," which means your spells have a chance to do double the damage. This is great when you hit for double, but terrible when you're the one being hit so hard. There's also "block," which gives a chance to cancel out a critical hit. Both of these new mechanics are added to the gear that drops in Celestia and beyond. Try to get some block at least, because the battles in Celestia can be rough if they critical hit you.

Also, starting in Celestia, the mobs and bosses start out with more pips than we do and will hit us hard on the first or second turn. This is a change from previous worlds, where they would take a few turns before really dealing out damage. One thing you can do to help yourself is to pack shields and use them right away, on the first turn if possible.

Take some time to scan through comments on these boards and ask questions. There's another recently returned 'Dad' on here who is also a Life wizard. His name is Area51Alien. Hopefully he'll see this post and say hello.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
"If you open up 'the book' on your lower right screen when playing, you'll see the list of quests you have accepted. There may be one or two with a gold band and stars on them. These are "Main Quests," the main storyline quests that will advance you in the game."

Thanks Freshta, this should help a lot. I'll see if I can continue or not. Thanks for info guys!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Welcome Back Sir!

Also,

Happy Holidays!

Upon reading the above post, I'm sure you'll by now figure out how to get back upon the horse.

Just wanted to add some useful advice going through here onwards as a Theurgist.

Gear - How's your gear? Is it all rounded to provide efficient damage, health, resistance (and pips in your case)? If not, consider doing a newly introduced dungeon Mount Olympus (found in Cyclops Lane). The quest is first given to you by a familiar looking face, Cyrus Drake, the Professor. Talk to him to get started. The dungeon here will grant you access to useful gear that will make questing a lot easier.

Training Points - How did you use your training points so far? Do you know tower shield from the school? If not, consider learning it. What about feint from the school? This spells helps greatly against bosses.

New schools of magic were also introduced while you were on say "vacation" :P These are:
(Star School) - Teaches aura spells that last around your wizard for a four turn period. - You'll notice many mobs using them.
(Moon School) - Teaches spells that also you to transform (polymorph) into a said creature and gain access to the creature's spell/move pool. Sounds cool, but avoid this school.
(Sun School) - Teaches enchantment spells allowing you to add either extra damage (strong, giant, monstrous etc) or accuracy (accurate, sniper etc). Consider training in this school, learn the damage enchanting spells in particular.

Post if you've anymore queries. We're willing to help!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
The good news: The brand new kiosk quest seems to have made the rate at which players are answering team up requests go along at a brisk pace. Hopefully if you put in a team up, someone will answer quickly.

If no one does, or if you don't get quality help, you might try looking up the Wizard Central website, and go to its Help forum. Then, ask for people to meet you in world at the dungeon sigil (entrance.)

It's hard to get back into the swing of things after a long time away. I remember one computer game I really liked and was doing so well in (single player, disc.) I put it away for a while and then when I came back I had forgotten how to do everything. All my 'skills' were rusty.

It is possible that you left off just where things got really difficult, precisely because you had hit a snag and didn't find those things easy to solo. I know the feeling. Without some expert help I'd have been stuck more than once in this game. I mostly solo too.

Good luck.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
Is it worth spending 7 points to get Feint? I cleared all my secondary cards and picked up the shuffle deck spell again, so I have 9 points left, I'm level 53. Seems like a lot to get Feint, unless there's another way to acquire it?

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Noquid on Dec 17, 2017 wrote:
Is it worth spending 7 points to get Feint? I cleared all my secondary cards and picked up the shuffle deck spell again, so I have 9 points left, I'm level 53. Seems like a lot to get Feint, unless there's another way to acquire it?
My Life does a lot of support, so for her it was worth it to get Feint in order to have it available for other players to use. For her own self, when soloing, it does help her take down a boss more quickly.

Another thing to consider is having that Death Fairy as a low level spell that you can use to remove shields. Oh, and in Stormriven (an area you reach in mid Celestia), there is a trainer who will give you Mutate Sprite enchantment card. You use it to turn your little Sprite healing spell into a stronger Midnight Sprite that leaves a Curse (+20% universal damage) on the enemy. Really a great tool for taking out Death shields while also setting up a hit!

As for having enough training points, there will be three side quests in Celestia that give you three extra training points. You will also have a chance to earn 1 extra point each for finishing the side worlds of Wysteria, Grizzleheim and Wintertusk and finding Zeke's things. That's six additional points, just from doing some side quests.

Alia Misthaven

Edited to add: if you do train the Mutate spells, there is also an option to Mutate Banshee into a Life Banshee that leaves a Hex (+30% universal damage) on the enemy. Having this and the Dark Sprite makes three Death school spells that your Life Wizard can easily make use of, so now the training points used to get Feint might seem a better investment.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I hate using feint!

Some people love using feint but I find it is often poorly used and annoying. It also leads to 35 percent damage upon oneself.

If you are a very strategic type of player, and think feint will be super helpful that might be different. I'm not. I just like to get in there and hit. I also find that regular blade plus trap combo works plenty fine. A blade adds 40 percent and trap adds 35. There is the same 75 percent damage feint uses but without adding 35 percent damage to yourself.

I can see where feint might come in handy for super super super hard bosses but, some gear comes with feint. I can't quote you which ones but I know I've seen feint on some gear. Probably necklaces.

I would train 7 points up to get Satyr in Life school instead. That's what I've done with my wizards where I've trained a secondary school that far. Comes in very handy to have Satyr especially if you solo or answer a lot of team ups. That said, Satyr is also often found on various gear.

Blade plus trap, feint in gear, or casting efreet are all ways to get about the same effect.

While I am at it can I sneak in a small gripe? I wish players would stop feinting on the first or first few rounds. That means no one else can hit those at all! No one has enough pips yet to make feint worth it. Please, peeps. Don't feint until everyone has lots of pips. And don't feint everything. Then I'm afraid to use your feint and make you mad. So I stand and twiddle my thumbs. This is speaking in general or in run of the mill battles.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
A great way to get training points is to always do the Zeke and Eloise quests in each world (you will be going past those items anyway as you quest) and if you take side quests, many of those also culminate in a training point.
My wizards who took the Level 50 potion have only 'several' training points. They missed doing all those quests.

My main/first wizard still has double digit training points and looking for ways to spend them.

No need to rush though. There is star/moon/sun magic and then coming up you will have shadow magic to spend training points on eventually, too. But don't sweat it too much, you can always change your mind and spells, during training point buy back events. Those happen at random and when they happen, buy back events are announced on this website and your sign in screen. (Those who are wondering: It means you can trade in unwanted training points for something you would rather spend it on.)

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
"I would train 7 points up to get Satyr in Life school instead. That's what I've done with my wizards where I've trained a secondary school that far. Comes in very handy to have Satyr especially if you solo or answer a lot of team ups. That said, Satyr is also often found on various gear."

As stated in the first sentence of his first post, Noquid is a Life wizard.... He already has Satyr.

Alia Misthaven

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well, it depends on your style of play. I've feint on all my wizards because of how effectively the spell can be used. It comes at a high risk however, but smart and experienced wizards know the perfect timing to use the spell so it's not counter by for example a Tower Shield.

Now, on my life, I've feint. It is costly, but it's worth it in my opinion, solo or non-solo. The spell helps bridge the gap for damage life wizards desperately need, especially at low levels. The extra 30% it puts around you can easily be covered up by a tower shield (which is why I recommended up to Tower).

But the decision ultimately lies up to you.

About your training points, understand that there will be numerous side quests that will reward training points. Zeke's quests for example are some of them. Also to add, Ogden Peake will have a total of 3 side quests for you all rewarding a training point after completion. So, don't be concerned to much about your points as ways/avenues exist to replenish them.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Yes, yes, yes!

Get Feint. Life has very few damage spells to begin with. The ability to multiply that damage by 1.7 is a BIG benefit.

I can routinely get 4 figure damage out of Centaur with Feint, Blades, and traps. (5 figure out of Forest Lord and Gnomes)

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Freshta on Dec 18, 2017 wrote:
"I would train 7 points up to get Satyr in Life school instead. That's what I've done with my wizards where I've trained a secondary school that far. Comes in very handy to have Satyr especially if you solo or answer a lot of team ups. That said, Satyr is also often found on various gear."

As stated in the first sentence of his first post, Noquid is a Life wizard.... He already has Satyr.

Alia Misthaven
Didn't see that Freshta.

My replies are not only meant for the person in the OP but often expand to include tips, info, advice or experience (opinions) for anyone who might be reading.

Survivor
Jul 08, 2009
Thank you for all the feedback! I'm 53 now and realized why I stopped...seems like you need a team to complete the quests now. Went to Mount Olympus and made it to the 4 Praetorians, not gonna happen with all the stuns plus they get at least 3 pips at the start and they slam you from the start. Tried "Team Up" but nothing. I might try again but I must have lost to them a half dozen times now. My character I play with my son is in his 20's so maybe try to get him interested to play more, it was his idea I renewed the accounts in the first place!! Heh.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Noquid on Dec 19, 2017 wrote:
Thank you for all the feedback! I'm 53 now and realized why I stopped...seems like you need a team to complete the quests now. Went to Mount Olympus and made it to the 4 Praetorians, not gonna happen with all the stuns plus they get at least 3 pips at the start and they slam you from the start. Tried "Team Up" but nothing. I might try again but I must have lost to them a half dozen times now. My character I play with my son is in his 20's so maybe try to get him interested to play more, it was his idea I renewed the accounts in the first place!! Heh.
Don't give up. 8-)

Starting with Malistaire in Dragonspyre you will find that you need to team up on most bosses. The new addition to the team-up kiosk has greatly reduced the amount of time you'll need to wait.

I recommend doing Monsterology as you will be able to summon minions to help during battle. Those minions and Sir Bedevere (The Life minion you acquire in the late 60s early 70s, not sure of exact level) will help you be able to solo most minor bosses. I'm now in Azteca and absolutely love Sir Bedevere.

I do quest with my (now) grown children. (26, 22, 19) and since they are scattered it is a nice fun activity that brings us together so by all means TELL your son to go questing with you.

If you are ever on when your son is not and are looking for a questing buddy, give me a holler.

Steven Ghoststalker

Explorer
Jun 27, 2015
I love seeing older adults playing this game. I hope you want to play this game more as you get acclimated to it again as it is such an exciting game, provided you're playing with online or real friends. You should check out the several sites dedicated to our community and check out some of the YouTubers. We will help you out and make it fun and exciting for you.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2012
Try tc feints first, to get use to and to see if you like. You can always train on spell later if you want