Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Reindeer Knight Spell Drop

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 15, 2012
I just started playing my Ice Wizard again and getting it decked out. My Ice is only level 37. Supposedly this new spell was released in the new Winter Wonder Pack, Reindeer Knight which seems like a pretty awesome spell I want for my ice wizard. I've spent a considerable amount of crowns trying to get it which I have no problem doing, I'm just curious am I spinning my wheels trying to get this spell? Is there a level I have to be to get this spell or will it supposedly drop for anyone regardless of level or school? I'm sure the odds are quite low that's understandable but my question is: Are my odds lowered because of my level or possibly non existent?

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Spells are the most difficult to ascertain as drops. Nothing else takes the difficulty level than dropped spells. It's why so many of us don't even bother to farm a boss or pack for them and instead look to craft it.

Now, about the Reindeer Knight spell. Yes, the spell does exist.
There are no level requirements; stated another way, there are no pre-requisites to learn the spell. Any school can learn it at any time.
The odds are also not affected by your level from my experience.

However! I would like to see odds turn into players who are of the same school trying to learn the spell. That, I can agree with and would like to see implemented.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Star Edward on Dec 12, 2017 wrote:
Spells are the most difficult to ascertain as drops. Nothing else takes the difficulty level than dropped spells. It's why so many of us don't even bother to farm a boss or pack for them and instead look to craft it.

Now, about the Reindeer Knight spell. Yes, the spell does exist.
There are no level requirements; stated another way, there are no pre-requisites to learn the spell. Any school can learn it at any time.
The odds are also not affected by your level from my experience.

However! I would like to see odds turn into players who are of the same school trying to learn the spell. That, I can agree with and would like to see implemented.

Yeah, there's nothing like the gut-wrenching disappointment when you learn dropped spell from a boss and it's for a school you don't use.

I wonder if there's ANY way KI could factor in the Wizard's school into the odds of getting a spell they can use as the drop.

Steven Ghoststalker

Explorer
May 03, 2016
I got the spell on the third pack so its very random on when you get.

Survivor
Oct 19, 2016
I just spent a little over 60,000 crowns on this pack as a level 1 and haven't gotten the drop. If i don't get it soon then i'm gonna have problems.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Any wizard of any level, and of any school, has the exact same (extremely LOW) chance of getting a spell. Getting the spell is random chance, with very low probability. In other words, it is gambling.

Buying 60,000 crowns increases the number of times you can gamble, but it does not guarantee you will win anything. Keep that in mind and set a limit for yourself. When you reach the limit, STOP.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Oct 19, 2016
Any chance this is a one per account type of deal because i've been trying for a LOT of crowns, id rather not say how much, and I can't seem to get the spell. I have got the spell on one of my characters already and trying to get it for another one. I have never spent this many crowns on a spell before and i spent nearly 100k for headless horseman. Just wondering thanks!

Survivor
Oct 30, 2009
I'm really confused with the two winter packs out now. Should I be buying the 2017 pack? Spent like 20k crowns and just have gotten the treasure cards, not the spell itself. Am I doing something wrong?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Multiple topics/discussions about the very low drop rate from packs.

Those might help those who are wondering about the basics of the drop rates and how it all works.

Basically, the chances of getting a permanent mount or permanent spell are next to nothing.

So just get what you can afford.

The chances renew every single time you buy a pack, supposedly. So it also won't matter if you buy one or 100 packs.

My personal theory is that there are limited rates at which the 'good prizes' are 'released' and whoever wins that one that day, it's done until the next day. In other words, the drop rate could be so low that one permanent mount per pack is due to go out at (totally hypothetical) 3 PM each day. If no one buys, it starts again next day. If a thousand people buy, still only one goes out. That is my totally made up and hypothetical theory.

In other words the release rate does not seem to go up no matter how many people buy but again that's just my guess.

I don't understand the low drop rates. If anything, seeing other people with a mount is always a good advertisement. One reason I do not wear the temporary mounts unless they are one day or super plentiful or already in the Crowns shop. It gives a false impression to others that "hey, you can win this mount!"

I did win a Kirin mount on first try when I got one pack on a whim one day. So that happens, too.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
ScruffisWeak on Dec 18, 2017 wrote:
Any chance this is a one per account type of deal because i've been trying for a LOT of crowns, id rather not say how much, and I can't seem to get the spell. I have got the spell on one of my characters already and trying to get it for another one. I have never spent this many crowns on a spell before and i spent nearly 100k for headless horseman. Just wondering thanks!
I got the Piggie spell on two wizards.
I think I got one other spell on a different wizard.

Those were from past packs, none of the current winter or holiday packs.

I think I got those the first day those went on sale, at the time? I can't be sure from memory.

I had a theory that that helped but now I'm not sure. (I thought maybe with the whole spiral buying packs at once maybe the rates turned over more quickly. Not sure now. Now I kind of think each 'good prize' has a fixed release amount per day.)

I'm one who doesn't mind if the spell isn't of the same school. I love a variety in my Decks. Never know what the enemy will be. Healing spells are always good no matter what your school is.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
cabiz650 on Dec 18, 2017 wrote:
I'm really confused with the two winter packs out now. Should I be buying the 2017 pack? Spent like 20k crowns and just have gotten the treasure cards, not the spell itself. Am I doing something wrong?
You're not doing anything 'wrong' it's just the drop rates on the permanent mount and permanent spells are very very very very low.

Only buy packs if you are OK with getting decor and treasure cards and seeds and possibly a wand or a boot or a hat or a robe. Maybe a pet.

No one should buy any pack counting on the permanent mount or permanent spell (if there is one in that pack) because they are almost guaranteed not to get one. If you do get one, consider it a lovely surprise.

Kind of like buying Lotto scratchers. Most people will at most win another scratcher ticket.

As to which pack you should buy, the 2017 one is the new one. If you have leveled up and buy an old pack you will get gear to match your new level.

Survivor
Mar 04, 2012
I had very lucky pack opening this year! I got the reindeer spell before reaching 20k crowns on my ice wiz, and before that I got the Perm wolf mount twice, once on my second opening with kingsisle's free crown giveaway which I got 750 crowns. Then after when I bought crowns, I got the Perm wolf mount again on my first 10k of crowns. Two perm mounts and the reindeer spell all in one day, more like in 1 hour.

However, a few years back when the harrowing nightmare pack came out with the new midnight owl, I spent 45k crowns and literally got nothing. I think we forget that at its basis, it really is gambling. You are literally pulling cards out of a deck of cards, just like you would do in real life. So gamble wisely wizards!