Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

AOE spell definition

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
I see wizards toss around the term "AOE spell", and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what that acronym stands for? I know what the intention is, but I am wondering if anyone actually knows what the letters A O and E stand for? Here's why I ask - have you ever seen anyone use the term "pwn" - as a way of stating how well someone did something relative to another. Do you know where that came from? Like who was the first person to ever send that (in a text probably), mistakenly typing the letter 'p' instead of 'o', and then have it go viral?

Explorer
Dec 25, 2009
AOE stands for Area of Effect. Basically spells that effect multiple players or enemies. This acronym is much easier to type then "Area of Effect". A close alternative is "Hit-All" or "Heal-All". This acronym was developed way before Wizard101 was released and describes abilities or attacks with a defined area and is not limited to a single target. I have no idea when the first recorded usage was documented, but estimate the late 1990s when video games are beginning to take root.

(I know this is more information than you asked for, but it might be useful for others that don't know. )

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
It stands for Area of Effect; more notably:

A - Area
O - Of
E - Effect

I used to think it just meant "Attack All Enemies" but the explanation I suggested above seems to be the one you would write on an test paper and get it correct :D

About "pwn" which means pawn like you suggested, usually signals how well you completed a particular task. It's usually associated with defeating mobs in a "fashionable" way.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Stephen Wildshade on Dec 6, 2017 wrote:
I see wizards toss around the term "AOE spell", and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what that acronym stands for? I know what the intention is, but I am wondering if anyone actually knows what the letters A O and E stand for? Here's why I ask - have you ever seen anyone use the term "pwn" - as a way of stating how well someone did something relative to another. Do you know where that came from? Like who was the first person to ever send that (in a text probably), mistakenly typing the letter 'p' instead of 'o', and then have it go viral?
See the following archived post!

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/mmorpg-game-lingo-8ad6a42556077db40156148a20a44730

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Stephen Wildshade on Dec 6, 2017 wrote:
Attack On Everyone

If I understand correctly

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks for your answers everyone. John, that is the kind of historical info I was looking for. Like with the lingospeak 'pwn' - there are several different perturbations of its pronounciation, though all of them mean to complete in a dominant fashion. But I am really wondering when it was first used, because it is almost certainly derived from 'own' - and I think it's likely that someone mistyped the two letters.

As for AOE - I like Area51's "Attack On Everyone" as the W101 meaning. Area of Effect doesn't make any sense in the Spiral, though like John noted, it has roots from a long time ago. Like Airborne Ranger on the Commodore 64, I certainly used some AOE weapons there.