Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Players using the 'help' process incorrectly.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 26, 2012
I have noticed, especially with the advent of items for number of teams helped, that some players are abusing the system. They enter a situation, and move immediately into position, so they can act first. They then cast a spell which kills all of the opposing monsters, in a single round. This causes anyone who has to stop and click through the dialogue to miss out on the dungeon entirely, and if it should be several (sometimes three) they all have to wait ten minutes before they can 'team up' again, even though it was the single player who refused to wait that blocked them out. The system should not initialize that quickly, as not all players are as quick as the others. If there were a method, the player who refused to wait should be blocked from teaming up as long as the combined times that he cost the others. It simply is unfair to penalize players for the rudeness and lack of consideration of the higher level players, or those who have a cheat for a spell that allows them to wipe out the opposition in one turn.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
A similar thread exists where a few of us highlighted this issue and offered solutions:
https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/team-up-kiosk-possible-solution--8ad6a42460070ed101601315094702c0?page=1

Not sure I agree with your method of "dealing with the solution" but I do understand the anger and disappointment behind your stance.

It always seems like when an ides with good intentions is implemented, there's always going to be those bad apples willing to exploit it to their own gain or benefit..

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Gorman Deathstalke... on Dec 2, 2017 wrote:
I have noticed, especially with the advent of items for number of teams helped, that some players are abusing the system. They enter a situation, and move immediately into position, so they can act first. They then cast a spell which kills all of the opposing monsters, in a single round. This causes anyone who has to stop and click through the dialogue to miss out on the dungeon entirely, and if it should be several (sometimes three) they all have to wait ten minutes before they can 'team up' again, even though it was the single player who refused to wait that blocked them out. The system should not initialize that quickly, as not all players are as quick as the others. If there were a method, the player who refused to wait should be blocked from teaming up as long as the combined times that he cost the others. It simply is unfair to penalize players for the rudeness and lack of consideration of the higher level players, or those who have a cheat for a spell that allows them to wipe out the opposition in one turn.
When these anti-social "helpers" get their badges, they'll move on to something else. Those of us who use the kiosk to help other wizards can then continue.
I must say, this is completely against what Derrick ( the Make a Wish player ) represented.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
And if you connection is slightly slower.... then simply put: YOU ARE DOOMED!

Delver
May 29, 2009
What's sad about this "abuse of system" is the lower level player who actually HAS the quest can't continue because THEY weren't in the battle circle in time to defeat the creature which puts them in the position of having to ask for help once again. I can imagine their frustration, disappointment, and disdain at the players and the Team Up function when it forces them to either resolve the situation on their own without help or "beg" others to please help them further their questing.

I do agree that there should be some kind of timer to allow all players to get into the dueling ring or at least wait until the person(s) who asked for help have entered.

I absolutely love this new feature and I've joined in to help only to arrive in 3rd or 4th position and the baddies have already been taken out in the first turn! And I didn't even have the quest!!

~SM~

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I have a question in regards to the new kiosk quest.

I had already been teaming up a lot and I know I had team up badges.
I can't find them now.
When I went to the new NPC to try to see what I could buy from him (everything requires gold plus specific badges), I had no badges.

So, how does one get each one of the badges he requires, please? Thank you.

Defender
May 30, 2010
SparkleTude on Dec 3, 2017 wrote:

I can't find them now.
When I went to the new NPC to try to see what I could buy from him (everything requires gold plus specific badges), I had no badges.

You need to use the Team up kiosk thing in front of the bazzar in old town. That is where you get your badges. Do not go to the actual area (the actual area does not count).If you have the badges there should be on the second and third page of your badges. For 100 at the kiosk you get team player. After 100, you can buy the kiosk. For 500 team leader and for 1,000 team manger. Just use the thing in front of the bazzar when you first enter old town.

P.S. There is a 2,000 but I have not idea what it is called.

Delver
May 29, 2009
SparkleTude on Dec 3, 2017 wrote:

I can't find them now.

The direct way to find out specifically about the Team Up badges is to open your character profile>Go to the Badges tab>Select the icon (2nd on top row; Miscellaneous)>Go to page 2. Towards the bottom you should see either your badges if you've earned them or how many out of 100, 500, or 1000 that you've helped.

I've heard a lot about people saying they've been helping before this update and no longer have those badges. I'm wondering if there might have been a reset?

Good luck & happy helping!
~SM~

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
God life wizard on Dec 4, 2017 wrote:
You need to use the Team up kiosk thing in front of the bazzar in old town. That is where you get your badges. Do not go to the actual area (the actual area does not count).If you have the badges there should be on the second and third page of your badges. For 100 at the kiosk you get team player. After 100, you can buy the kiosk. For 500 team leader and for 1,000 team manger. Just use the thing in front of the bazzar when you first enter old town.

P.S. There is a 2,000 but I have not idea what it is called.
Thanks.

I definitely use the kiosk, and have done a lot of team ups.
But some reading might not know you have to use the kiosk for it to count toward badges, so thank you for that tip.

I know it's told me I have gotten badges in the past. I must have 100 as it will let me buy a kiosk if I want. (Does it work? Or just for looks?)

Will keep using it. Thanks.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
From SorceressMiklai:

"I've heard a lot about people saying they've been helping before this update and no longer have those badges. I'm wondering if there might have been a reset?"

Interesting! That's one reason I posted. Wasn't sure if it was just me or maybe my imagination.

I should have way more than 100 I think.

I will have to check again to be sure I could even buy the kiosk.

Would be sad if all my past helps were erased. That seems unnecessary.

Delver
May 29, 2009
SparkleTude on Dec 4, 2017 wrote:
Thanks.

But some reading might not know you have to use the kiosk for it to count toward badges, so thank you for that tip.

I know it's told me I have gotten badges in the past. I must have 100 as it will let me buy a kiosk if I want. (Does it work? Or just for looks?)

Since I don't have enough as of yet to buy the kiosk myself, let me perchance a guess here.

I believe that it should work the same way as the one in Olde Town just in the privacy of one of your own homes. If it follows the same similar process as the gaming kiosks that is. Which allows you to NOT have to go back to the commons every time you wish to refill your potions. This should work in the same way. I think this is a grand idea because it means you don't have to change worlds just to help someone. You can be in MS and want to take a break from questing to help then just port home to do it!

~SM~

Defender
May 30, 2010
SparkleTude on Dec 4, 2017 wrote:
Thanks.

The kiosk works. I have one in my house but the only issue I have with it is you will not stay at your house when you use it.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Sounds very cool.

Thank you SorceressMiklai, and God Life Wizard.

I'd love to do that at home rather than stand around the kiosk on a busy day. I typically answer a request then go hide behind a building. Lol Even my Wizard is an introvert

Curious where you go then after the battle ends?

Oh! I figured out where my Badge was on one Wizard. I had 87 team ups so I wasn't as far along as I had thought. Still have to check and find one on my main. I've done a lot but maybe not as many on my main as I had thought I did.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2009
interesting how the original post was taken over by kiosk questions when the RANT is players abusing the kiosk for their badges, not caring about the actual quester being in the fight.
A friend had to ask me to quest with him because he could not go on when he kept getting locked out because of these abusers. By the time he clicked through the dialogue he didn't even get in the fight before they killed all the opponents. So imho the "help" kiosk needs a wait time to get all players into the fight before it begins.

Just saying.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
spyder0190 on Dec 8, 2017 wrote:
interesting how the original post was taken over by kiosk questions when the RANT is players abusing the kiosk for their badges, not caring about the actual quester being in the fight.
A friend had to ask me to quest with him because he could not go on when he kept getting locked out because of these abusers. By the time he clicked through the dialogue he didn't even get in the fight before they killed all the opponents. So imho the "help" kiosk needs a wait time to get all players into the fight before it begins.

Just saying.
I know it looks like this thread got hijacked, but believe me, many of us players who want to help are aware of this problem and discussing it in multiple threads. The hope is that KI also is watching and will take steps to curb the abuse.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/player-still-greifing-through-kiosk-8ad6a42b60070ed7016024f73b816ecd?page=1

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/the-dorms/team-up-kiosk-possible-solution--8ad6a42460070ed101601315094702c0?page=1

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/team-up-d-8ad6a42560070ee401600e4d32686106?page=1

When I see it happening, I friend the one who was left out and make it a point to repeat the battle with just them so they can get their quest done. That means I won't get a "helping point," but so be it.

In the mean time, know that the badge hunters will quickly get their 100 points for 'helping' badge and then move on. Once they're gone, you'll hopefully run into more of us other wizards who do care and want to help.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
spyder0190 on Dec 8, 2017 wrote:

Just saying.
??

Wait times and abuse of kiosk are already being discussed, at length, in at least one other topic. Instead of chewing us out for talking about the kiosk (which is still on topic btw, and only admins decide what isn't), why not check before making a new topic if you made this one, or go participate in that one, if that's the aspect of kiosks you want to discuss.
To me anything about the new kiosk quest is on topic. But I don't see the point in posting just to chew us out for discussing, since some of us were enjoying that discussion.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Freshta on Dec 8, 2017 wrote:
I know it looks like this thread got hijacked, but believe me, many of us players who want to help are aware of this problem and discussing it in multiple threads. The hope is that KI also is watching and will take steps to curb the abuse.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/player-still-greifing-through-kiosk-8ad6a42b60070ed7016024f73b816ecd?page=1

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/team-up-d-8ad6a42560070ee401600e4d32686106?page=1

When I see it happening, I friend the one who was left out and make it a point to repeat the battle with just them so they can get their quest done. That means I won't get a "helping point," but so be it.

In the mean time, know that the badge hunters will quickly get their 100 points for 'helping' badge and then move on. Once they're gone, you'll hopefully run into more of us other wizards who do care and want to help.

Alia Misthaven
The thread did not get hijacked. Good grief.

Can't people discuss the topics instead of criticizing each other??

Some of us were enjoying discussing the kiosk and anything regarding the new kiosk quest is on topic.

Like you pointed out this is being discussed in more than one topic already, so, I'm not sure why someone came in out of the blue to blast us for our part of the discussion. The forums are feeling like some bullies got hold of them, lately.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Dec 9, 2017 wrote:
The thread did not get hijacked. Good grief.

Can't people discuss the topics instead of criticizing each other??

Some of us were enjoying discussing the kiosk and anything regarding the new kiosk quest is on topic.

Like you pointed out this is being discussed in more than one topic already, so, I'm not sure why someone came in out of the blue to blast us for our part of the discussion. The forums are feeling like some bullies got hold of them, lately.
The way to provide good customer service is to validate the person's complaint, then direct them to the help they need.

Note I said in my post: "I know it LOOKS LIKE this thread has been hijacked...." Whether you or I think it was hijacked is not the point. To that person, that's what he saw and felt. So I validated his perception (to help get him past it) and then directed him to the several on-going discussions.

My main job is working as an academic tutor at the university level. Most of the time before a session gets going, I have to hear a lot of venting and frustration about the class they are struggling with before we can sit down and discuss the solutions. Letting the person vent is a very important part of helping them.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Freshta on Dec 9, 2017 wrote:
The way to provide good customer service is to validate the person's complaint, then direct them to the help they need.

Note I said in my post: "I know it LOOKS LIKE this thread has been hijacked...." Whether you or I think it was hijacked is not the point. To that person, that's what he saw and felt. So I validated his perception (to help get him past it) and then directed him to the several on-going discussions.

My main job is working as an academic tutor at the university level. Most of the time before a session gets going, I have to hear a lot of venting and frustration about the class they are struggling with before we can sit down and discuss the solutions. Letting the person vent is a very important part of helping them.

Alia Misthaven
Yes, I know, but part of validating is agreeing. The statement could be construed as such and so I offered a counterargument to that idea. There was no call for their accusation, in my opinion, and so, no reason to validate what amounted to a gratuitous insult.

I understand what you mean but things in print are permanent and take on a strength the spoken word wouldn't have. What could be a reassurance in person, translates to some as tacit agreement/underscoring in print.

I do not feel venting at other players is appropriate here, nor are baseless accusations/insults anything to support or "validate." In short if someone's bullying someone else, (which is how I perceived it, and yet, I'm not being "validated"), no reason to support that.
Venting about the game is fine; venting at or accusing others personally in here, as the other person did, shouldn't be fine, or "validated" ; because that amounts to bullying in my opinion. They could've simply posted their "vent" about the topic itself, not about or at me and others, who were actually still on topic, to begin with.