Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shirker Squad PVP

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
So some of us were talking about the new Revered crafting level which requires PVP participation trophies as a crafting ingredient.

The consensus was that there are a lot of us who love playing Wizard 101 but do not, for various of our own reasons, enjoy PVP or wish to play PVP.

Someone a while back while the update was in beta, said that people can get tickets just for showing up to a match, win or lose.

So I thought of an idea. Why not find a way to state up front that we are willing to lose a match in PVP in order to eventually get enough arena tickets to get participation trophies for our Revered crafting level.

Some people said they'd participate in a Shirker squad. So, at this point it's a beginning effort, and I'm not sure if it will require an official PVP group or not. So let's try it this way to start out with and see how it goes:

Wear an orange hat. Any orange hat. Why? Because not many people wear orange hats, and because it's bright, and will stand out in a crowd.

Go to Sunbird realm.

Stand by the arena. If asked, say that yes, you are a Shirker, and you will be happy to play PVP win or lose, just for the tickets.

Our own conditions in return: No trash talking, no bullying during PVP, after all we have just handed you an easy win. No ditching the match once we get there. Basically, common courtesy stuff.

So who's in?

I chose Sunbird for the Shirker realm because: easy to remember, starts with S like Shirker, orange hat, orange sun, and it sounds pleasant. I decided not to choose Scarecrow because it isn't that we are 'scared of' PVP we just have no real wish to participate in it.

Who's in?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
First three matches ever, today.

I was lucky, for my first ever match, I got a nice person. No trash talking. I got to play a while, and then they said I hadn't done badly.

I found out I only got two arena tickets each match though, for losing a one on one PVP.

The 250 tickets someone mentioned we'd get just for playing? Turns out that was in a tournament. Maybe they mentioned that and I didn't understand. But tournaments also cost 499 crowns I think, just to get into the tournament.

So for those who don't have crowns, maybe the Shirkers could help each other out by taking turns winning or losing on purpose -- if that's possible, to get each other as players. Then at least half the time (when they won) they could get more tickets from one on one PVP.

Two tickets at a time would take a while.
I want to try a tournament but will others be mad if they get me for a teammate and I am a bad PVPer?

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I'm in.

I've got some work to do today but will be on for the Shirker PvP as well as the Greyrose Gang.

Steven Ghoststalker

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Dec 2, 2017 wrote:
First three matches ever, today.

I was lucky, for my first ever match, I got a nice person. No trash talking. I got to play a while, and then they said I hadn't done badly.

I found out I only got two arena tickets each match though, for losing a one on one PVP.

The 250 tickets someone mentioned we'd get just for playing? Turns out that was in a tournament. Maybe they mentioned that and I didn't understand. But tournaments also cost 499 crowns I think, just to get into the tournament.

So for those who don't have crowns, maybe the Shirkers could help each other out by taking turns winning or losing on purpose -- if that's possible, to get each other as players. Then at least half the time (when they won) they could get more tickets from one on one PVP.

Two tickets at a time would take a while.
I want to try a tournament but will others be mad if they get me for a teammate and I am a bad PVPer?
"Maybe the Shirkers could help each other out by taking turns winning or losing on purpose -- if that's possible, to get each other as players. Then at least half the time (when they won) they could get more tickets from one on one PVP."

This is what I was trying to suggest in the other thread. A group of us would meet and form our own teams. In PVP, we're more likely to end up facing fellow orange hats if we're playing 3v3 or 4v4, all orange hatted shirkers.

And yes, the other option is Tournaments. With Tournaments, just showing up gets us 250 tickets, but coming in higher than 'last place' will get us even more tickets. The other good thing about Tournaments is that losing there doesn't negatively impact our ordinary PVP standing (or so I've heard).

I'm glad your first PVP experience went well, though.

Orange hats in the Sunbird realm? Hmm....

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Alas when I was on yesterday in the late afternoon, I saw no orange hatted shirkers.

I was bummed

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Dec 2, 2017 wrote:
I'm in.

I've got some work to do today but will be on for the Shirker PvP as well as the Greyrose Gang.

Steven Ghoststalker
Thank you! Much appreciated!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Freshta on Dec 2, 2017 wrote:
"Maybe the Shirkers could help each other out by taking turns winning or losing on purpose -- if that's possible, to get each other as players. Then at least half the time (when they won) they could get more tickets from one on one PVP."

This is what I was trying to suggest in the other thread. A group of us would meet and form our own teams. In PVP, we're more likely to end up facing fellow orange hats if we're playing 3v3 or 4v4, all orange hatted shirkers.

And yes, the other option is Tournaments. With Tournaments, just showing up gets us 250 tickets, but coming in higher than 'last place' will get us even more tickets. The other good thing about Tournaments is that losing there doesn't negatively impact our ordinary PVP standing (or so I've heard).

I'm glad your first PVP experience went well, though.

Orange hats in the Sunbird realm? Hmm....

Alia Misthaven
Yes I understood your prior post about making groups. I'm just not sure how to form a literal group for PVP.

Also it makes it more difficult to 'meet up' if at specific times, especially as this is a global game. I never stopped anyone from going that route though. I only wanted to pick a color and a realm, and invite others to join us.

I am still not completely sure there's no other way i.e. if people both sign up and then reject all pairings until they get to the one they want i.e. another Shirker or someone who's helping them.

Thanks for the tips about tournaments.

I'm still wondering though if I play badly or don't actively play (not me personally but, someone had suggested we all sign up for tournaments then log off), if the others in that tournament are impacted at all i.e. would it be like being on a volleyball team then standing like a statue as the ball flies past, or, if others would be upset at us in those cases.

I'd love people who do tournaments to weigh in on that issue please.

So in whatever form people choose to Shirk, I hope to see all of you Shirkers soon. Here's to losing!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on Dec 3, 2017 wrote:
Alas when I was on yesterday in the late afternoon, I saw no orange hatted shirkers.

I was bummed

Steven Ghoststalker
OK Orange Hats. This is our call.

Let's meet up! Sunbird Realm. See you soon!

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i love this idea~ i don't plan on sticking around past the 10th (when my membership ends), otherwise i'd be soooo up for this!

i've never done a tournament and i haven't pvp'ed on my main wizard at all since, like, level 50. perhaps i'll pop in at some point in the next few days... and, if i do show up, i'll definitely be wearing an orange hat.

-von

Explorer
May 03, 2016
Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i just had an idea: what if we made a group on central for pvp shirker squads?

then, we can make a list of our wizard names and make plans to meet in-game without waiting 12-24 hours for mod approval?

@sparkletude, since this was your idea (afaik), perhaps you want to create the group and the rest of us can join it.

-von

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Dr Von on Dec 6, 2017 wrote:

then, we can make a list of our wizard names and make plans to meet in-game without waiting 12-24 hours for mod approval?

@sparkletude, since this was your idea (afaik), perhaps you want to create the group and the rest of us can join it.

-von
Central?

Steven Ghoststalker

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Area51Alien on Dec 7, 2017 wrote:
Central?

Steven Ghoststalker
wizard101central.com (or 'central') is an approved fansite that allows us to chat and plan in-game meetups without waiting 12-24 hours for mod approval.

if you don't have an account, it's free to make one: my name there is Von Shadowsong.

we can create a group and use it to plan meetups with fellow shirkers.

-von

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Dr Von on Dec 6, 2017 wrote:

-von
Yes I was thinking the same thing.

I got a hood in the Bazaar, dyed it orange and went to Sunbird. No one was around.
So I was about to ask: What do people feel would be a good standard running meet up time? We have a place (Sunbird), and a signal to others (orange hat.)

Also how do I make a PVP group? I will be happy to but I could not figure out how to do that.

Area51Alien, I assume Dr Von meant Central Standard Time zone, USA, but they also can answer of course.

That would be okay with me now we just all need to agree on a day of the week (any of the 7 days) and time. Maybe one time in morning one in evening CST USA time, to include as many as possible. Then someone could just drop in during those times for more of a chance another Orange Hat would be waiting there.

Thanks all for your interest, it is much appreciated. My other wizards would not mind gaining tickets either since they too eventually will need them for Revered Crafting.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oh and by the way -- if you go to the Bazaar to buy a hat or hood with gold, make sure to click on CHOOSE COLORS before you BUY one.

Not all hats and hoods CAN be dyed orange!

I found a nice hood and dyed it all orange, but, most I chose had no orange as choices or only on the hat band etc. The hat or hood should be orange to be able to be seen from far away riding closer.

Also do we want to meet just outside the arena or just inside it where the posts are. I would think just outside it, it's less crowded and a nicer view.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Since my last post I was thinking: What if we offered multiple meet up times?
Then no matter when people work, sleep, etc. they mght stand a chance to be there.

How about:
Orange hat
Sunbird realm
Meet just outside the arena (doesn't hurt to peep inside the door too)

8 AM, 4 PM, 8 PM, 4 AM, daily, all on Central Standard Time in the CST USA time zone?

And just drop by at those times. No formal invitation necessary.

How does that sound? Feedback very welcome.

I will look into forming a PVP group but I'm not sure if a permanent one can be formed or how to do so. If it's got to be done for each tournament, then use the name:

SHIRKER SQUAD

So we can all find each other.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
so i went ahead and made this group: orange hats.

this should make it easier for us to connect with fellow shirkers in-game. @sparkletude once you join, i will turn leadership of the group over to you (if your username on central is different than on these boards, send me a message and let me know it's you).

this was a great idea, and i'm happy to assist with making it a reality.

-von

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Dr Von on Dec 7, 2017 wrote:
wizard101central.com (or 'central') is an approved fansite that allows us to chat and plan in-game meetups without waiting 12-24 hours for mod approval.

if you don't have an account, it's free to make one: my name there is Von Shadowsong.

we can create a group and use it to plan meetups with fellow shirkers.

-von
Thank You!

I'll head over there later today and set up an account.

Steven Ghoststalker

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
sorry guys, not sure why the mods deleted the hyperlink to the group (since central is an approved fansite), but i will try again:

the group is here: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/group.php?groupid=6736

just in case the mods go deleting the link again, click 'social groups' on the left sidebar and type Orange Hats/Shirker Squad PVP into the search bar. the icon i picked is an orange wizard hat with stars on a black background.

if you still can't find it, message me on central and I will send you an invite.

-von

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
*head scratch*
I'm confused, I thought making a group meant inside the game, Wizard 101, in the PVP arena. I thought that's what people meant, a game group.

Thanks to everyone who's participating though because I know a lot of people are going to have trouble getting enough arena tickets for the trophies, and I'm not sure if other PVP players will want shirkers (meaning, people who aren't used to and don't like PVP) on their tournament teams.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Oh! By the way speaking of orange hats.

If you go to the Bazaar, page through the Hats to buy, until you find "Cap of Advantages."

It's technically a hood, but that is perfect for those of us who don't like their wizard's hairdo anyway.

Before you buy it, click the button where it says "pick colors" or "choose colors," and choose orange for both. That way it's free to dye it. If you buy and then go to the dye shop later, it will cost more gold to dye it.

The "Cap of Advantages" hood costs 120 gold.

No one has to buy this one. Any orange hat will do. But if people don't want to click through multiple choices just to see what can be dyed orange, this one is a safe bet.

Hope that helps.