Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Talent %

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 05, 2017
Hey all. I've been an on and off player since shortly after the game's release, but have never really invested any time into the world of pets... A major reason being that I don't really PVP, and I find them unnecessary to complete PVE. However, I have decided to invest some time into my Sand Worm Larva, but with severe apprehension. My biggest concern would be that whenever I do get a talent unlocked, the results are lackluster, to say the least. Nothing is more of a let down than investing time, gold, and energy to train a pet, only to receive a 1% passive trait. So, I would like to know if there is a way I can increase that % amount whenever the talent is unlocked, or if the % amount changes as the trait its related to gets higher. It just seems a waste of a good pet to have a permanent 1% passive talent. And for the record, I have attempted to research this, but the charts and equations I've been given are like a foreign language to my brain. So, if anyone could help break itdown without referring me to some link to another chart, that would be much appreciated.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Talents that boost stats, such as damage, accuracy, or resist, depend on the pet's attributes -- strength, agility, will, etc As you train the pet, those stats increase and the talent becomes stronger.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
BALANCEwizzy420 on Nov 24, 2017 wrote:
Hey all. I've been an on and off player since shortly after the game's release, but have never really invested any time into the world of pets... A major reason being that I don't really PVP, and I find them unnecessary to complete PVE. However, I have decided to invest some time into my Sand Worm Larva, but with severe apprehension. My biggest concern would be that whenever I do get a talent unlocked, the results are lackluster, to say the least. Nothing is more of a let down than investing time, gold, and energy to train a pet, only to receive a 1% passive trait. So, I would like to know if there is a way I can increase that % amount whenever the talent is unlocked, or if the % amount changes as the trait its related to gets higher. It just seems a waste of a good pet to have a permanent 1% passive talent. And for the record, I have attempted to research this, but the charts and equations I've been given are like a foreign language to my brain. So, if anyone could help break itdown without referring me to some link to another chart, that would be much appreciated.
The Sand Worm Larva has fairly good base stats (high enough Strength, Intelligence, Agility, Will, Power to bring any talent up to at least 7%-9%).

In order to get the best out of percentage based talents, you need to train your pet past Ancient, and get it about half way to Epic. In case this is confusing to you, these are the training levels:

Baby - no talent
Teen - one, very weak talent
Adult - two talents, both stronger than before. Pet can be hatched with other pets.
Ancient - three talents, stronger yet and nearly at full strength. You can socket some pet gems now.
Epic - four talents, all at their maximum strength
Mega - five talents, all at their maximum strength
Ultra - still five talents, all at their maximum strength. But you can socket "Ultra" pet gems.

Note that it is not worth it to train to Ultra unless you already have an "ultra" pet gem that you want to use.

There are other talents that are called "may cast," which means your pet might cast a helpful spell for you while you're in battle. The most popular "may cast" talents by far, are the healing ones. Spritely means your pet might cast a Sprite healing spell. Fairy Friend means your pet might cast a Fairy on you.

This is the three-part pet guide I used to help me figure some of this stuff out. Ignore the "PVP" part, as the guide is actually useful for everyone. It's just the basics about hatching and pet talents.

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-1/

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-2/

http://www.duelist101.com/other-w101-guides/w101-pet-guides/perfect-pvp-pets-part-3/

Hope this helps!

Alia Misthaven